Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Member Saved my A$$ on Saturday!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msuguydon, Apr 30, 2007.

1. msuguydon

msuguydon

Saturday I loaded up my 58 Chevy, two of my sons, 14 and 16, and headed to the Drag Strip for a Dad and boys fun day at the races.

Great weather, windows down headed to the race track, just me and the boys... what a great beginning to my day.

Well my day soon became a very "exciting" one.

It is a long story with lots of interesting sub plots but I will spare you all that stuff, here is the Readers Digest Version.

The steering box broke loose from the frame during the drive, :eek: Thank GOD a bolt held and my family and I were not hurt. I was able to get to the drag strip. It was my eldest sons first day, at his first job, he was wetting his pants that he was gonna be late or miss his first day at work. My car was undrive-able, so the wife had to come to pick-up the our kids, she got lost coming to the track. Lots of Drama!

I went to the timing tower to find someone who could get my wife unlost. The asked what was wrong. I explained my situation, before I knew it they were making a plea for help, for me, over the PA.

Three minutes later, who is standing next to my car but ROOMAN of the H.A.M.B board.

He tells me that his fab shop is about 5 minutes away, if I can get the car to his shop, he can fix it. He adds its gonna be a late night but its gonna get fixed and you can drive it home. I keep asking, you sure, your sure you want to do this.?? .. His parting comment..US HAMB'S gotta stick together.

One of the drag racers helped me arrange a flat bed, he was a retired tow truck driver. I got the car to Roomans shop.
    I drove the 58 home with some nice new welds, got home safe and sound at 3:00 AM.

I nominate ROOMAN as HAMB'er of the Month!

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I second that!! I know what its like to be saved on the side of the road by a fellow rodder. I stop to offer assistance even if there are ten other rods pulled up, hey maybe I have just the part.......

Rooman, good on'ya mate!

3. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Cool Story, gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling

4. Way to go Rooman. May your kindness never be obliverated.

My grandparents had a '58 red and white like your's.

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

We need a 'thumbs up' smiley.

Good job!

6. Viva La HAMB....

Great story

7. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

I was at the drags Sunday with Kerry and Rooman was telling us about the bubble gum welds done by the previous owner. Glad you or none of your family was hurt. You won't find a nicer or more talented guy than Rooman. I second the nomination...do we have a vote!!!:D

8. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Rooman is a hell of a guy.

He talks a little funny but he is still all right in my book!

9. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Cool story. It's a pretty empty feeling having your hot rod break down away from home. We are all enthusiasts in the same arena. I have my pet brands and the next person has theirs. One of the reasons I'll never put one of those dumb "pi$$ on (insert here)" stickers in my window,--you never know what brand the guy is driving that is willing to help you out.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]Doesn't surprise me, he's a GREAT guy![​IMG]

11. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

thumbs up for rooman :)

12. That's old fashioned hot rodding at it's finest!Helping out a fellow HAMBer because it's what we are all about.Traditional ways by Traditional rodders.:D

13. Gee I Thought Kids Were To Push You Home ?:):)

Lucky And Home Safe
    Good Job Guys ...

14. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Rooman's got my vote too!! He's taken time out to help me a few times - and I've never even met him face to face.

Some guys are all talk - some guys actually back it up! Rooman's obviously the latter!

Can I vote twice???

Vote #1 Rooman

Vote #2 "Roo"

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Vote #3 "man"

Great sory. This is what hot rodders are all about.

16. rooman

rooman

Thanks guys, you too Denise.
    I have been involved in the hot rod/drag race arean for a bit over 40 years and in that time people have taken the time to help me out in various ways. My feeling is that even if I was unable to pay some of them back, helping another rodder or racer out helped balance the scales. A bit like the Haley Joel Osment movie.
    Through not fault of his own Don had a problem and the solution was simple. My shop was close and I had the equipment to do the job. The alternative was for him to flat bed the car all the way home and then try to find someone to fix it there which probably would have involved another tow job.
    On the subject of the "bubblegum" welds and half arsed fabrication in general, if anyone without a lot of engineering and fabrication knowledge is thinking of purchasing a car please have someone qualified look it over. In this case Don was lucky that he made it safely to the track but the end result of someone getting in over their depth fabrication-wise could have been a disaster.
    Over the years I have been lucky to have been able to work with a lot of talented people in the industry and I guess that paying attention to those who really know what they are doing has paid off for me.
    If any HAMBers are coming to Indy for GoodGuys you are welcome to come by the shop at any time, just PM me for directions. We usually have some cool stuff laying around.

Roo

17. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

This kind of actions are what makes our hobby/lifestyle so great.

I blew a clutch 2 weeks ago attending an event at Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon, A fellow rotorhead who I had just met that day drove me 65 miles the next morning while another internet friend started tearing the tranny out. In 2 hours we changed the clutch and I drove 300 miles home without incident.

Good Karma does go round

18. the HAMB kicks ass!!!!

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Rooman Rules....

20. sololobo

sololobo

THE H.A.M.B.!! Changing the way hotrodding is done in todays world!!! The unspoken fraternal nature of this forum reflects our founders super nature, we are all so fortunate to be aboard. I don't know ROOMAN personally but have seen his name mentioned by others before that I do know and respect thier opinions. Thank you brother for your kind nature, you changed a nightmare into a great life experience. As you know kind one, what goes around -comes around. I am sure when you laid your tired self down to rest in the early a.m., you had to feel like you had changed water to wine. You are the best of the best, we are lucky and honored to be associated with you!_Sololobo

21. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Watta place.

22. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

woo hoo Awesome!

23. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Rooman, PM me your info, I gotta come by and meet ya. I'm on the west side most days now.

24. nothing better than honest fellowship. it's like the hamb is a hotrodders triple A!

25. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I've got a AAA card but I'd rather have a HAMB tag when it comes to this!

26. msuguydon

msuguydon

You guys do need to meet, and go by his shop if you get the chance, lots, and lots of cool stuff in there if you are into DRAG Racing !

27. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

now that's the way it's suposed to work!! nice

28. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

what a guy. it's nice to find a helping hand went your broke down.

29. Scott F.

Scott F.

Nice story.
    MSUGUYDON, if Rooman didn't do it while he had the car in the shop, you might want to have the rest of the car checked over for more 'bubblegum' welds. Suspension, etc.

Glad to hear everything worked out.

Scott

30. Trucker Jr.

Trucker Jr.
    from Fresno

That is a comforting feeling that there is something that can unite everyone like the HAMB does.