Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 cyl chain hoist placement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nastyrod, May 1, 2007.

1. nastyrod

nastyrod

been A while since i've posted... ready to drop my 250 chevy in my 41 modified what the best way to hook the cherry picker up so that its fairly level? Valve cover is on and all is painted and I don't want o screw that up. Suggestions??

2. squirrel

squirrel

take the valve cover off! really.....

or maybe get some 1/4" x 1" or equivalent steel strap, drill holes in the ends, and use it as a riser to get the chain away from the valve cover.

3. nastyrod

nastyrod

bolt the chain to wut? head?

4. squirrel

squirrel

usually straight 6s are a pain in the butt, you might find a bolt for the thermostat housing on the right front corner, and a manifold bolt on the left rear corner, that means you leave the manifolds and cooling stuff off the engine while you're instaling it.

5. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I've had luck with a soft sling around the middle.Just sat a 235 4 foot up on a bench,paint and powder coat no problem.

6. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

This is a "late model", but this Ford 250 has the original lift eyes on it. They are just strap that bolts to the accessory mount on one corner, and the exhaust manifold on the other.

Attached Files:

7. screwtheman

screwtheman

Be careful whatever you do. The 6'ers are heavy beasts and usually the bolts have some serious shear pressure put on them. I've seen bolts break on 2 different engines when they were being hoisted.

8. nastyrod

nastyrod

well great... I don't want to have to pull the cooling system off. once off the stand I am gona bolt the tranny up and install as a unit... maybe that will help with another attachment point?