Register now to get rid of these ads!

So what would you do to make a grand or two a month?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3Mike6, Apr 27, 2007.

1. rodknocker

rodknocker

if you got skillz, why don't you flip cars? buy them cheap and running crappy, fix them up and sell for a profit.And keep a few rods on the lot to draw people in, but mostly sell newer (96-2001) cars or trucks.

2. donate sperm, not only do you get off, but you'll make some $ with only the use of your sock or hand....that's how i keep my cars running...

3. 39delux

39delux

If I had my butt covered and didn't have to worry about any more than a couple grand a month I would not do anything that I didn't like. I agree with the idea of building a ground up car to sell a few times a year. You can establish a formula that requires very little fabrication but ends up with a hot rod that would be in demand.

I would not work for customers so I wouldn't have to worry about collecting for work done and wouldn't have anyone breathing down my neck wanting the job done 3 weeks sooner that he did originally. You could probably work out a deal with body and chassis sources to get a discounted price if they knew you were going to be a repeat regular customer.

I'd also consider forming an LLC to protect my assetts.

Tom

4. 47bob

47bob

Fabricate?,,,,,,,,,How about some reasonabily priced Bomber Seats; seems like everyone wants one.

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

or look in the local paper/job website for welding jobs, sure they're shitty and sweaty but they pay decent and you get benefits and the money keeps getting better the longer you do it...there's always entry level welding jobs somewhere...or find warehouse positions, crappy pay but usually decent work moving things around warehouses...

6. If you dont mind getting greasy..(You are on the HAMB..), go to your local pick a part yard, and buy stuff you can sell on the internet. Educate yourself on what people are buying from older cars, as well as later muscle type cars. Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs.

There are all sorts of suspension, brake and motor upgrades that can be taken from a late model and adapted to an older car.
    The best thing is, besides being almost guaranteed money, is that you arent filling your yard with cars. You only buy what you know you will sell.
    You can put 2 pieces from a 76 Firebird on ebay and say you are parting out one. Then go buy the parts that are requested.
    Its a new spin on catalog shopping.

7. tstclr

tstclr

Some people seem to make a bag of money selling on Ebay. If you sell what you know, you can do alright.
    Another fellow I know is one helluva body man. He restores other peoples cars in his home workshop. He's been doing a Hemi Cuda for three years now. Owner fills a bank account full of cash, he draws from it until it's empty, and doesn't do any more on it until the account is topped up again. That's what I'd like to do some day..
    Todd

8. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

When I use to live on Camp Pendleton there was a gunny across the street that would buy an older 240z every two months . He would completely strip it down take pictures and box everything up. He would be done by the weekend. He sold everything on ebay and I assume he did pretty good because he was always stripping down another car. I've made a decent amount of money selling stuff that I wasn’t going to use off my car. Instead of throwing it away I put it on ebay and it usually sells.

9. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I took early retirement a year and a half ago, I have never been so busy or so far behind.
    Here is my thoughts. Unless you are in love with the West coast there are a lot of places that consume a lot less overhead. It may be easier to cut your expenses rather than try to earn the money.Some midwestern towns still have very resonable house prices ,and get this ,they don't give a rats behind if you build a shop behind ,have a couple of cars setting, run around naked and howl at the moon.
    I built a small storage building last year for a friend,his neighbors liked it and I spent the next 7 weeks and built 7 more. I finally just said NO-MORE.
    I do mowing ,clean out gutters ,ect .I bid them at $1 a minute.I have more work available than I can do .
    A company just called last week and asked if I would work vacation relief for them this summer,now they tell me they want me every week but 2 thru October,go figure.
    I am in the Omaha area , I have no idea how the rest of the world is but IF you want to moonlight a little this place is hot.

10. Yeah, and you don't have to know how to spell

11. simple enough
    if your the boss
    sometimes the boss is still a dickhead!

find something that no one wants to do and will pay you alot consistantly if you do it..

i have tred all these..while trying to not be full time..

part time auto parts store or junk yard
    ..work early/ late do restock or inventory

housecleaning , offices ,stores too
    .... work a few hours at night weekends...remember to lock up .. insured?

selling books is good
    ..trouble is keeping your inventory in perfect condition

buy stuff at garage sales/auctions and sell on ebay/ flea markets..
    ...trouble with verifying income and taxes...storage of inventory

sell/rent bubble gum machines or other vending eq.
    .....territorial.. theft?

drive school bus
    ....short bus drivers are gods to thier kids.. dont leave any on over night!

grow seasonal fruit produce.. pumpkins, flowers
    ...hope for good weather and no varmits

bring groceries to the home bound..
    ...dont get overripe fruit or the wrong ice cream

pick though the trash on the right day
    ...watchout for cockroaches and blood spatter

do garage and basement clean outs
    ...have the proper place for disposal of hazardous waste

clean cars for a used car lot or dealership
    ..water disposal and parking , car runners needed

now that my house and cars are paid off income is needed for food ,insurance and hot rods... grand kids
    good luck

12. I would try some part time gig to get some secured coin rolling in and the rest of the time start building my own hobby/bussiness

13. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Some great suggestion, some off the wall...(we are on the HAMB, right?)

But, no, I can't pimp the iwfe...then I'd have to raise the kids myself while she's out doing thing;)

The main purpose of the income would be for health insurance for the family...after I'd "cash in", food/housing/etc would all be covered till we die...but health insuyrance here in Ca., woi'll run me about 1000-1500 a month...of course I gcould go work at Micky D's and make that, but it's not my way.

I wonder though, is there really that much in Ebay? Folks brnging in a few grand a month? I wnoder how mich time they have to spend doing that?

Really like the idea of cross country drive, pick up some old iron and flip'em, unsure about puttng outb15K to build a rod then "waiting" for it to be sold though, wrong time of year, wrong color...I dunno...

Can't do the dumpster diving thing though, a man has to have some limits;)

I will send as few PM's out to a few of the replies though, I like the "home based" business thing...

Also, just to clarify, my "fabricating" skilss are in line with builind ralers, patch panel on sheetmetal, frame work...not making a new fender/etc for something, and yes I hate body work once the "metal" work is done...i/e filer and glazing putty I can do without...liked the suggestion of doing the patch work...might be a thought.

As far as start up for our tyrp of hobby, I have all the tools...welders, torches, Mill, Lathes,n etc., etc...and room )if I were to organize it) to accomadate all in house work...plus a acre or two out back to store stuff my wife would hate...but oh well...she's eating, right?

So many relies above I'd like to quote, and would take me another hour to read through them, but many thank for many great ideas, and please don't hesitate to stop posting them...could definitely help another hamb'er out as well:)

14. 3Mike6

3Mike6

OKay, forgive the typo's in the post...fat fingers and a few cold Coors will cause it;)

15. Me, myself, I'm lucky, I'm a quardrasexual, I'll do anything with anyone for a quarter. so I just have to do 4,000 to 8,000 "acts" a month and I'm set.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Seriously, If you've got a strong stomach, the people who clean up crime scenes make a buttload of money. That, and look into elevator repair, I heard they have on the job training and also make a buttload.

16. 3Mike6

3Mike6

OKay...nothing to do with blood, dead people, snakes or spiders.

No artificial insemination on farm animals either.

But thinking about it I heard sheep were as good as humans..some say pigs, but heard they squeel on you;)

17. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Some may think this is an off topic post, but come on, how many off us couldn't use a little extra every month.
    I got let go from my job about a year ago. I have 2 pre-school kids and found that I was going to spend about $20K per year in daycare. I was looking at jobs that were going to pay me $35K per year before taxes, gas, etc. Luckly, my wife has a very good paying job. I became a stay-at-home Dad. Now I keep trying to find something to bring in a few bucks to be able to still have some "Car" money.
    My wife has been trying to help me with some ideas. One she came up with is car detailing. $150 to wash, clean & shampoo the interior and wax was one. Does that sound like to much?
    I've also found that selling a lot of the stuff around the house and garage that will never get used helps to. I've tried on here, craigslist, and now Ebay with good results. I just have to tell myself selling stuff I've had for years is good.
    I just started trying to sell cars with my Father-in Law on craigslist.
    He's not computer literate, but can always find good deals on cars.
    Many of these idea's can benefit all of us who could use a little extra cash for whatever reason. Just pick that one that matches your skill level.

18. The reason businesses hire part-time workers is because they aren't required to give them benefits.

19. Kustomz

Kustomz

UPS is the only company I know of that offers part time benefits. Might be worth checking out.

20. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

my experience is you are only going to be sucessful at what you really like to do. you will have inside knowledge be cause you enjoy it . dont think you can get rich selling hula hoops because the guy across the street is.to me service is what sells i can find product anywhere. but not service.

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

A guy I work with has an Elvis Tribute act. I'm not sure how much he makes off of it though.

Not an impersonator mind you. A Tribute act.

22. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

Starbucks has excellent PT benefits :D

23. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

How about a mobile patch repair business. I lot of people (that cant do it) dont want to mess with getting their car to someone who does it and leave their car there. They would rather have you come to their house and get it done. You'd probably get a lot of muscle car guys calling you.
    Paul

24. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

How about a P/T Windshield repair business ? Dealing with Used Car Lots & such. Or, buy a camper/trailer, get a computerized embroidery set up & follow the sun/summer doing custom embroidery at car shows & stuff...

I have often thought of the windshield idea for myself. Just fixing bullseyes & such. Is there money to be made there???

Of Course you could always get a job at the Zoo circumsizing elephants....

The Pay is not that good but the tips are big !

25. Wash motorhomes. Hard to find someone who does it, and when you do find them, they charge from $4.00 to $8.00 per foot.

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The problem with any washing cars, trucks, motorhomes, RVs, is sooner or later you get mailed by some "Green" freak who calls the EPA and then you are screwed. AND fined.

27. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Benifits are rare to get when working part time. Most companies will offer benefits 3 months after hire date for Full time. The only place I know that provide benefits to Part time help are some banks.

28. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

How about a Grass Mowing business? I know a few guys who do this and bill out close to $12,500.00 per Month. One of them takes the Winters off and goes to Mexico-

29. I know a homebuilder who works 4 hrs a day at the local UPS dist center for benefits for his fam. I know his shift is middle of night, puts him home for kids to school, and at night for bath/bedtime, plus he gets to take care of his homebuilding duties in the day. not exactly sure where he squeezes in the sleep, but he never looks tired. works for him.

30. fishtank

fishtank

What about fixing paint scratches and chips for used car dealerships. Also, installing vinyl pinstripes. Wouldn't require much equipment and you could set your own schedule. If you could get hooked up with a couple of medium sized lots, you could schedule them for one or two days a week each month.