Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tips for getting metal out of hole saws?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JPMACHADO, Apr 30, 2007.

1. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

Sometimes when I use a hole saw to notch tubing or just create a plain hole in some plate, the metal plug gets stuck in the hole saw. Does anyone have a simple way to either prevent this or easily remove the metal? I'm sometimes able to use the slots on the side of the hole saw to get the plug out. Other times using the slots just jams up the whole thing more. Thanks

2. OLLIN

OLLIN

what if you tack welded a nail onto it to pull it out..

3. I usually just use the slots. Another tip for hole-sawing, I always drill a hole right along the radius of the hole being cut, so the chips can fall out, and use lots of lubricant.

4. Mart

Mart

I normally keep a small electrical screwdriver handy and just work it out from the slots, alternating from side to side.
    You're right, though, it's not exactly easy.
    Mart.

5. If you remove the hole saw from the mandrel you can use a small drift down through the center hole. Alternate tapping around the drilled hole in the slug.

Charlie

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

screw driver through the littel hole in the back...

7. metwiz

metwiz
    from Salinas CA

Before you drill your hole drill two 1/4" holes next to the pilot hole. That way you can use needle nose pliers to grab the slug out of the saw when finished.

8. Retrorod

Retrorod

I think metwiz wins the prize......it just tried it, it works, it's simple.

9. Thanks Metwiz I'll have to try it that way next time. I used to cut speaker holes in car doors and HATED to get the slug out.

10. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I usually drill 2 or 3 holes and then remove the center drill bit and everything ususally come right out out.

11. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Silicone spray on the hole saw.

12. yekoms

yekoms

Metwiz may win the prize for gettin' the slug out but, Richard D gets the grand prize for the chip release hole. My Pop showed me that long ago and it works great. Smokey

13. Yeah, I invented that trick decades ago.:D Nah, I learned it here!
    [/INDENT]

14. hilborn283

hilborn283

self tappping screw about an inch long.it will drill the metal,but not the hole saw,bottom out,and screw drive the slug out.it works amazing.

15. metwiz

metwiz
    from Salinas CA

The chip clearing holes are only necessary if the material is thicker than the teeth on the saw. Also if you put a few around the I.D. of the hole instead of just one it works a lot more efficantly in removing the chips