Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will a heat gun remove paint but leave body work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jobe, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I need to start to remove a 15 year old paint job off my caddy that I know has body filler in it. I would like to remove the paint but leave the body work fairly intact until I can see the extent of the filler. Would a heat gun take the paint off but leave the filler? The paint scrapes off fairly easy with a razor scraper but it gouges the filler work.

Thanks for any advice here.

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I think you'd be at it all day with a heat gun. Why not run a DA over it with some 120. It will cut the paint quickly and if you pay attention, stop once you hit any fill or metal.

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

Why not simply run to Wal-Mart and get some Aircraft Stripper?

Paint will mostly fall off and leave the bodywork.

4. screwtheman

screwtheman

Chemical strip, sanding, or soda blasting would be your best bet.

5. studhud

studhud

If your going to take the time to strip the paint strip the filler, its what usually makes the paint fail anyways. Also new fillers are better than the old ones. Just my .2cents LTR Dave

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I would agree with that. Certain chemical strips can blister the old filler, but the majority would be intact.

Still, any reason for wanting to leave the filler??

7. lucky 7

lucky 7

I had to save bodywork on this car last winter..Lacquer paint is a pain to grind and worse to chemical strip..Heat gun,gloves ,and about 3 days of peeling..just had to touch up the bodywork in a few areas.

Attached Files:

8. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Lucky 7, that is exactly what I want to do. Some of the filler I will remove if not all of it, but I'd like to do it bit by bit as I continue to drive the car. Thanks for all the tips guys...and oh yeah Bad ass car Lucky 7!

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Knock the corners off the razor blade on a gringer so it won't dig in. The heat gun razor deal works great.:D