Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pate swap meet this weekend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mid-century-cruiser, Apr 25, 2007.

1. mid-century-cruiser

mid-century-cruiser
    from combine,TX

Just a reminder that the Pate swap meet is this weekend at the Texas motor speedway in Fort Worth. I will be there with lots of 49-51 Merc parts in spots 744 and 745 Friday thru Sunday. Stop by and browse or just to talk rods. Thanks, Ken

2. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

It's already started. The weather today was pretty nice albeit a bit windy. I managed to score some decent stuff..a couple of nice '32 firewalls, a '32 aluminum V8 oil pan, a Pexto 36" slip roll, etc.

Old speed equipment was few and far between....hopefully the next couple days will be better.

There was however a bitchin' old hot rod '32 Ford Cabriolet there...channeled, remains of a roll and pleat interior, faded red paint, Mor-drop axle, 322 Nailhead with 2x4's connected to a '39 trans, aluminum Streamlite (sp?) front wheels, cheater slicks on the back...had to have been built in the mid-'50s and untouched since. It even ran and drove!! Sold immediately as it entered the swap meet, reportedly for less than 20K.

3. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

yeah that roadster sold to??? you guessed it gas monkey garage..fuckin richard rawlings, i saw him carting it around today with what looked like a A roadster body sitting in the bed of his pickup..

4. My buddy was at Pate this weekend and called me about the 32 hot rod. He said that it came in the gate Thursday and sold immediately for $7000. On Friday it was flipped for $11,000 , and Friday afternoon it was for sale for $22,000 . How true it is only the Buyers and sellers know for sure but he swore it was the gospel. Where will it ever end?

5. Anderson

Anderson

Richard told me he bought it early, and had already sold it.

I didn't find anything out there....bought a bunch of piddly junk. Oh well.

6. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

i didn't find a damn thing..not one damn thing..

7. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Richard bought the '32 Cabriolet from the guy who brought it to the swap on Wednesday immediately after it came off the trailer...I know because I was standing there as he was buying it. I know the guy selling it was asking 18K, so I doubt if he bought it for 7. He had 22K on the windshield when I saw it this morning...which probably still isn't bad if you're in the market for an original '50s hot rod.

This was a good swap meet for me....I bought quite a bit of neat stuff, all for decent money.

8. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

so thats were all the good stuff went..bass snatched it all up as always..lol i saw your shoebox out there and new i was too late to get any good deals

9. Crankshaft

Crankshaft

Just happened to take a photo. It was an interesting car to say the least.

Attached Files:

10. Frank

Frank

Anybody see the 1:18 scale junkyard cars? The detail was incredible. Rust, dents, ripped upholstery, and all.

I made out ok. Ended up with 5 Holley 94's in great condition for an excellent price.

A good friend of mine took a 33 frame out there that didn't sell. Its an aftermarket boxed frame, MII suspension, 4 link rear, tubular X-member for $2500. It would cost a load more if you had to buy the components separate. I really figured it would have sold.

11. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Ha...that's me and 'FLT BLK' (Tyler) walking up to look at it in the center of your photo. Small world...

Here's some of the stuff I found out there:

-Complete new Halibrand Champ center section with a 4.11 31-spline Detroit Locker diff.
    -Pair of 15x8" Halibrand small window magnesium rear wheels
    -2 really nice original '32 grille inserts
    -Pair of '33-34 spring perches
    -Nice Model A front crossmember
    -Chrome '33-34 windshield frame
    -Decent '39 Banjo steering wheel
    -Neato '42 Buick taillight (need one more now)
    -Cool 1960 Weiand and Moon catalogs
    -'55 Olds Fiesta hubcap
    -2 NICE '32 Firewalls
    -'32 Flathead aluminum oil pan
    -New top wood and seat springs for the Model A.

I must of walked 40 or 50 miles this week.

The current Pate will never be the 'old Pate', but there's still neat stuff and good deals to be had.

12. Rusty

Rusty

That cabriolet was the reason I sold my 34 truck last year. I drove down to get it and it was too rough for me for the price and the guy that thought said he owned it seemed a flake and could not find the title yaddy yaddy. It was advertised her on the hamb with no bites last year by Baytowngreaser for 16,500. It was a race car out of Wichita Falls, TX. Also had a single loop roll bar that should have been in the trunk as well as a super heavy duty scattershiled..Would be worth more if the uprights would not of been cut off and replaced with model a roadster stantions and windshield. The bad part about the hole deal and it goes to show how crazy 32 stuff has gotten I could have bought it for 14K last year.

Rusty

13. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

The guy that brought it to the swap meet said he found it in Grand Falls, TX out near Midland. I know the homemade scatter shield was in the trunk, but I didn't see the roll bar. The tubes welded to the floor to mount the roll bar were still there, though.

I think you're right about the windshield stantions hurting the car...I also think that the body being welded to the frame and the flat plate welded into the firewall hurt its value as well. Still a pretty neat old car though.

14. Rusty

Rusty

I did not get much

-Windshield Rubber for the 38
    -Cowl vent rubber for the 38
    -Door rubber for the 38
    -Rear glass rubber for the 38
    -Trunk Rubber for the 38
    It seemed like everywhere I stopped somoene had some leftover rubber parts for a 38 which was good because I could not have afforded all of it it I had to have bought it from Classic Ford or SAC, etc

-Got a A awesome bolt bin with labels from 1/4 to 1/2 bolt and nuts
    -40 crossmember piece
    -Rebuilt steering box for the 38
    -Some 32 striker plates-door side for 32the sedan
    -Some craftsman star sockets
    -A awesome tuck and rolled B/W 40 Coupe seat
    -a old rearview mirror for the 38
    -some lower spring plates with brackets for traction bars for the 38
    -Model a Hood latch at cowl and grill shell for Model a Coupe
    I passed up alot of good stuff since I spent most of my money the night before in Arkansas

-And a good neck sunburn

Big thanks to TP and his gang for the wonderful breakfast

I seen alot of cool stuff but they all had alot of ebay pricing. there were still plenty of projects that you could get into cheap. If it had anything to do with 1932 it was gonna cost you. I had a great time. Good to see everyone,

Rusty

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

First time attending the "New" Pate, Went to all but the first Pate Meets at the old grounds near Cresson TX. Still a lot of stuff around but at least 30-40% of the spaces were occupied by transportation vehicles of customers and vendors rather than parts or cars for sale. Walked many rows with half of them being modern cars and trucks for the most part. Aisles crowded with old folks in power chairs and scooters(scooter rental was so lucrative there were two rental companies there!!$65 a day!
    Interesting day and saw a lot of folks I hadn't seen in some years too.

16. Terry

Terry

I guess I can believe that, Grandfalls used to a gold mine, with 2 old boneyards. But over the years it has been picked clean, and leftovers crushed. The town is dried up to. But you never know whats in old barns, and garages. There is one place I can think of that car might have been hideing, but there are problably more.

It's about 80 miles from Midland. Closer to Monahans or Pecos.

17. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Ha I just saw this thread! That '32 cabrio is funny shiat! The lowest he would go was 13k about 18 months ago. But damn it was rough. Floor was gas axe'd and then welded to the framerails. Scattershield was 3/8 or 1/2 thick chunks all welded togethetr to cover it.

Can't believe it flipped so many times, I did see Gas Monkey with it on the trailer about noon on Saturday. But 20 minutes before it said $32k on the windshield.

I added a bunch of pics of that cabrio over on the thread I had on Pate
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179110

18. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

I got some great shots of that car and lots of others but..... Had too many beers with Big Dad and left my camera at his house when I left in the morning. I will get them on as soon as I get it back.