Register now to get rid of these ads!

What vehicles did Guide Headlights come on?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brewton, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Brewton

Brewton

I've done the search thing and didn't find what I was looking for.

What the hell did Guide Headlights come on back in the day - I've heard White Trucks, Buicks...... all kinds of stuff. Were they aftermarket? Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out some history on them.:confused:

2. Brewton

Brewton

3. Longbox55

Longbox55

Guide was an OE supplier, mainly for GM. In fact, I think GM eventually bought them out. I'll see if I can dig up some more info on them.

4. They were a part of GM at one time. They supply a lot of OE headlights, taillights and turn signals, for various manufacturers, to this day. They developed the first electric headlamp in 1908.

5. de-fenders

de-fenders

I've seen them on REO trucks as well as some Dodge, White and Mack trucks. Greg:cool:

6. Also they intoduced the first hi/low beam (dual filament) headlight. The were the first to use plastic lenses and developed the 4 headlight system back in the 50s. They also developed the autotronic eye control system way back in the early 50s (optional automatic headlight dimmer in mid to late 50s Cadillacs and GM cars).

7. Brewton

Brewton

Yeah - but, I'm trying to find out specifically what cars or trucks came with the Guide 682 lights on them.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Guide lights commonly found at swap meets are generic replacement headlamps for big trucks and little trucks(why they come with a long-g-g-g mounting bolt!). They were certainly used on all Chevrolet and GMC trucks of the day and many other brands of over-the-road trucks as well.

9. Longbox55

Longbox55

You might take a look at old farm tractors. I know that IH and Deere used lamps from Guide, others probably used them too.

10. I know i've seen a lot of them on 40's fire trucks.

11. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

40's and early 50's REO trucks.

12. George G

George G

I got mine from 1940's Reo Truck. Where can find a new outer ring??

13. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

reos, peterbuilt,diamond t's,mack trucks

14. BinderRod

BinderRod

I know that were also used on International trucks

15. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

They were not original on any cars. A partial list of OE users. White, Autocar, Peterbilt,Kenworth, Reo, Federal, FWD, Oskosh, Crane Carrier, Corbitt, Grove, GMC, Studebaker, DiamondT, and I am sure others. International never used them OE, but I have Seen them on IHC trucks.

16. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i think they're a modern trend for traditional cars
    a reason you dont see them run in the pictures from the past is because.....
    who would want "truck headlights" on a hot roadster :eek:

...not that this helps answer your question much...

17. 31whitey

31whitey

Guide or BLC headlamps were the choice for some guys who ran there cars on the street and the strip in the late 1950,s...it seems they were popular for the north east guys because they conviently had turn signals built in which allowed for one less piece on your car to make it pass inspection...I'v seen photos where guys turned them backwards to run down the drags....

As far as being a "MODERN TREND FOR TRADITIONAL CARS" and "YOU DONT SEE THEM RUN IN THE PICTURES FROM THE PAST"...GO get the book COOL CARS AND SQUARE ROLL BARS, a (history of NEW ENGLAND hot roddding from the 1950's)...plenty of documented uses of GUIDE and BLC lights...

18. J & P Cycles in Iowa has 7" bezels that are virtually identical to the originals on my 682C's. They go for about $30.00 ea.

19. 31whitey

31whitey

I should have wrote that they conviently had a PLACE for USE of a indicator light to be adapted in the form of a seperate lense built in...I took a small moto indicator and made turn signals for mine...

20. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

All I can add to this thread is that in 1958 I lived in Anderson, Indiana the home of Guide Lamps and Delco-Remy. Anytime I walked to the river you could see Guide lamps floating by. It was my first exposure to industrial pollution.

ThePorkChopSpeedShop likes this.