Register now to get rid of these ads!

some saginaw questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brandon11130, Apr 25, 2007.

1. brandon11130

brandon11130

I asked a few questions in another thread earlier but with as many as i have i figured id start my own.

ok first off im running a dauntless 225 v6 with what i now believe is a saginaw 4 speed, with a dana20 xfer case behind it. all i know is that it supposedly "drives" i really have no knowledge of this transmission and neither do any of the guys on the jeep forums i frequent.

i got it on the road the other day and it grinds terribly going into 3rd and then grinds a little going into 4th. 1st 2nd and reverse work flawlesly. which leads me to believe its not just the synchros? more likly the linkage for 3rd and 4th is off? would this cause the grinding?

I have absolutly no knowledge of side loader transmissions, so bear with me
    is the tab for 3rd and 4th supposed to move the same distance forward and backwards? it seams the rod from the shifter pushes the tab further to the front, and when i pull back( to get into 4th) it doesnt seam to go back quite as far as the other way.

heres some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when the gear is disengaged the tab should be vertical correct? and then move forward and back the same ammount?

is this correct?
    [​IMG]

2. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

If it grinds while you are shifting gears, it's more than likely the syncros. If it grinds once yu get it into gear and let out the clutch, it may be the linkage not putting it far enough in.

But you did write going in to gear, so 95% chance it's an internal problem.

3. brandon11130

brandon11130

crap:( , so how difficult is it to replace synchros? is it somthing a 17year old who has never touched the inside of a transmission could do?

ill unbolt the side and check and see if the gears look ok, look for brass/metal in the oil. but like most high schoolers i have no cash so i dont want to take my tranny apart screw it up and have no transmission. how much would a reputable shop charge to put in synchros? assuming i take the transmission out of the jeep and buy all the parts?

4. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

The levers are on correct. The syncro's really aren't that hard to change. If you pull the side cover, leave the arms on the cover. The reverse rod has a spring and check ball underneath it that will fall out if you pull the cover off with the lever taken off.

The syncro's for 3rd and 4th will be in the toward the front of the tranny. You will need to check the dogs on the inside of the syncro hub also, they usually break and start all the problems.

5. squirrel

squirrel

the synchros are more than just the brass rings! there is an inner hub, an outer sleeve, and the teeth they engage that are on the gears (3rd gear and the "main drive gear", also known as the input shaft, for 4th).

Also the shift forks tend to wear.

So, you kind of need to know what you're doing if you want to be sure to fix the problem, and you also need to be able to spend some coin for parts you may discover are bad after you get it apart.

It would be worth looking into the shift linkage to make sure there is nothing holding the levers from moving all the way.

6. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

Like squirrel says,the 3-4 shift fork maybe worn or could be the syncros, you should find someone around that has worked with a manual trans to help.
    If you depend on it for daily transportation just drain it it and refill with 80-90 wt gearlube until you can find help.
    Check the old gearlube for brass shaving and run a magnet in the old lube and see how much iron sticks to the magnet.
    As far as the levers on the trans,there will be some difference in the amount of movement between the two(1-2 / 3-4).

7. This is very remote, but easy to check. How far off the floor with the clutch pedal before the vehicle creeps in gear? If the clutch is on the edge of being adjusted properly, and 3rd and 4th are a little more worn than 1st and 2nd, this may be your problem. MAYBE. If not, i believe it's only synchros that'll do it

8. brandon11130

brandon11130

hey guys thanks so much for all your help! im assuming i have to pull the whole sidecover to drain the lube out, i dont see a drain plug anywhere.

also somone said somthing about running 90w gear oil to stop the grinding, will running 90w, atf or somthing thick like that do any permanent damage to the tranny? the synchros will continue to wear but will need to be replaced anyway correct? I want to rebuild it and go through it, but im just a poor ass highschooler so it will take me some time to save up the cash.

9. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

It is suppossed to have 90 wt, or 80-90 in it. ATF is to thin, it is based off of 10 wt stock.

Save your money and buy a kit, should be under $100.00. If you get the sidecover off, snap a couple of pictures of the gears and post them. We should be able to tell you what's wrong.

10. Scott

Scott

The syncros probably wont come with the kit

11. brandon11130

brandon11130

i looked on a few sites for rebuild kits, its about 100 for the kit, and like 40-50 for the synchros. Im just praying my gears arnt too fargone, they are like 100 each:eek:

i found this one that has it all for 120
    http://auctions.yahoo.com/i:SAGINAW%20TRANSMISSION DELUX REBUILD KIT:228549497
    know of any better sites for getting rebuild kits?
    would the fact that this transmission has been adapted to a transfer case change anything? is their any difference in saginaw 4wd and 2wd other than the obvious?

would any local guys be interested in helping me do this some weekend? ill pay for food, gas, beer whatever. ive never done anything to the inside of a tranny before and it would be nice to have somone that knows what their doing.

12. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I have always bought my kits from Transtar Industries. All they sell is transmission parts. I don't think GM ever made a 4x4 Saginaw, but I could be wrong.

Wish I was closer to you, I would do it no problem. I have been building standards since '83. Good Luck...