Register now to get rid of these ads!

poncho help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52Chief, Apr 21, 2007.

1. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

i was reading in the classifieds and a guy selling a 53 Pontiac said a 55 56 Pontiac would go in pretty easy. i have a 52 chieftain and i also have a 55 v8 does any body know if the straight 8 tranny would mount on the v8 and if the motor mounts are the same? i searched and found no threads any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Since hydros have removable bell housings (your car IS a hydro, isn't it?), it should bolt up to the bell from an eary Pontiac V8. I do know that, like Chevy, Pontiac wanted to debut their new V8 in the '53 models, but the Korean conflict delayed their time schedule.

3. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Yes it's a Hydro. Thanks for the info, I guess the next step is to try it.

4. The 55 has a dual range hydro, far better unit

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, I'm the guy with the 53 for sale.

I was told the motor mounts are the same and since they're both Hydro's I would assume the mounts for it as well the linkage and stuff should be similar.

Maybe Brandy will ring in and clarify some things for us...

6. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Mine is a dual range as well. (I think 52 was the first year to offer it)

The V8 I've got came with some cool speed stuff, it needs to be put together and all first, but if it would bolt in pretty easy, that would be cool. (Then I can stick the straight eight in a modified like I've wanted to do.)

I've never done an engine swap like this before, always small block to small block kinda thing. If it would be a fairly painless install, I think it could be a real confidence booster as well.

7. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Why a straight 8 in a modified? You plan on using it as a submarine???:D

You can bolt a 55-60 block with hydro into your early Poncho. The mounts are the same. The bellhousings will swap around as well. Personally, I'd rather have the later trans, because it's a slant pan and it keeps the fluid at a constant level. I'm not sure if your earlier one is. If you have any more in depth questions, email me.

Brandy

8. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Nah, I was thinking more along the lines of boat anchor on wheels. Seriously though, I just think it's a cool motor and would look neat. Not planning on setting any world speed records. It did manage to push the Pontiac down the freeway at 85 before the whole car started shacking so bad we slowed down, hahaha!!

Thanks for the info, if I've got more questions, and I'm sure I will, I'll ask ya. We're finishing up some stuff on the Falcon before we dive into the poncho. We're on a pretty tight budget, so I'll probably use the trans I have to save money.

Thanks everybody for the replies, viva la HAMB!!!

9. flypa38

flypa38

OOOOH!!! I wanna see the Poncho speed parts real bad!!!!! Got any pics??? I have a '56 Star Chief that's just about to be breathing through three Holley 94's on an Offy intake. If you don't have pics of the speed parts, what all does it have on it? I'm still trying to find out what was/is available in the way of hop up parts for Ponchos!
    Thanks!
    Johnny

10. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hmmm...Personally, I'd swap to the 287/Hydro, just because that's what I would've done 30-40 years ago - just seems like the thing to do. But now that I think about it, both set-ups are equally obsolete (and therefore cool), these days. Performance and parts availability wouldn't be all that different. At least you'd freshen the later model stuff before installation, so it'd be in better shape...
    Ah, who am I kiddin'? I'd build a 455/TH400 for it...

11. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Read the thread and seem to be a little confused. Motor mounts are different on a 52 and a 55. 52 was a straight 8, 55 a V-8. Tranny should bolt up with a change of bell housing though the 55+ tranny is better than the 52.

12. If the trans mounts to the engine, the two rear mounts should probably work without modification. The V8 being shorter than the straight8 would have to have the front mount relocated aft. I have no further insight to offer here, but... I am curious if it will work or not. Please keep me informed on the progress. Thanx
    Bil

13. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

I have a an edelbrock 2x4 manifold and a set of gotha rockers and a set of crower "racing" valve springs.

Attached Files:

14. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

here are the rest of the pics.

Attached Files:

15. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

I have thought about a big poncho multiple times but i could not pass up the deal i got on the old poncho motor with the parts!!

16. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

I am in the same boat as you i am not sure if it will even work it was just something i saw on a classified post and thought i would ask the most knowledgeable group of people i know!!!

17. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

That's what i was thinking. i really need to see a pic of the mounting stuff on the 55 poncho to see what it looks like.