Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home made fuel injection?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrie, Apr 24, 2007.

1. I'm running an early hemi in my sedan and would love fuel injection (mech. or EFI) but the budget just won't allow it right now.
    There's some pretty god-damn talented people on this board and I'm wondering if anyone here has fabbed their own fuel injection set-up before? What style was it? How well did/didn't it work? Would you do it again? What would you do differently? etc.
    I would prefer a mech. look, but in MN real mechanical injection isn't a reallistic option for something I want to drive alot.
    Any ideas?

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

i like carbs.

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

i read half of that and bailed out, there is no way i could pull that of without starting a serious fire. un freakin real.

5. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I guess you'll just have to have a carb then.LOL

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is one I made for a banger using throttle bodies from a Suzuki EFI piece. Plenty of them on eBay. But I still had to get a Hilborn pump and nozzles. If your smarter than me you could keep the EFI system.

Attached Files:

• img6.JPG
      img6.JPG
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Vergil

Vergil

I built these for my flathead, took a while to build them, still figuring out all sensor settings, timing curve, ve table tuning and a long list of things I am trying to comprehend on the fine tuning. I also set it up without a distributor. If I was to do it again I would go no distributor but carbs. Easier setup and a lot cheaper.

[​IMG]

8. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

There are bosch fuel injection systems on late 70's Mercedes 450 v8's.
    They are plentiful and cheap, and look kinda kool.
    There is some kind of fuel splitter thing (pictured)
    and the fuel "injectors" are threaded on to the manifold.
    Most junkyards have many so getting the senders,computer wouldn't be tough
    [​IMG]

With a simple hilbornish throttle-body base,
    the retrofit shouldn't take more than a year to figure out!!

good luck TP

9. mr. dick

mr. dick
    from New York

Norrie,
    Just for your info, Im selling a Hilborn mechanical injection system on ebay...you might want to check it out, theres 50 people lookin at it but its stuck around 560.00. Item no 290107731345

Mr. dick

10. mustangsix

mustangsix

The Aussie Ford engine in my 66 Mustang is injected. I used a combination of OEM parts, GM sensors, and an SDS ECU. It was pretty easy, but pricey. The SDS is being replaced with a Megasquirt for more control.

I stuck with the "bundle 'o snakes" intake because it works well, but it would have been no harder to use individual throttle bodies or a 4bbl style throttle body injector.

Best thing about electronic engine management is that it is so easily tuned. You can decide exactly how much fuel and spark you want at exactly the rpm and load you want it with just a few keystrokes. Then you can watch the feedback in real time.

The downside is that it just doesn't evoke the same kind of visual and emotional response as a bunch of sidedraft Webers, a bunch or 97's, or a pair of 4bbls. OTOH, if my roadster was injected, I'd already know why it runs crappy......:mad:

Attached Files:

11. Foul

Foul

I've read of fellas who have no off-the-shelf EFI system available scrounging complete EFI systems from similar-sized modern engines (say yours is a 327 - then scrounge the parts from a modern 5.3L GM V-8). You would have to fabricate your own injector bungs/throttle body mounts on your manifold. Rather than go the Megasquirt route, if you retain the computer and sensors from the donor vehicle (it's not hard on most vehicles - just get a good wiring diagram for the donor vehicle), you'll have the ability to stop at any AdvancePepQuest for replacement parts if you break down in BFE.

dan

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The only part of a Megasquirt setup that can't be sourced from a local parts store is the actual CPU itself, all the sensors and parts are standard off the shelf parts. Most parts stores in BFE aren't stocking the CPU's for the factory setups either. So really your concern doesn't hold any water...

13. Not to be a nay sayer( just the devils advocate I guess) but if you build it dependable you'll have as much in it as one you buy.

I've heard good about the megasquirt setup. Z man is right on there.

Something else you may think about is getting ahold of bill mitchal raceing maybe its bill mitchel exreme these days, do a google search. he makes a really cool mechanical unit called an injectorater. It uses a gutted 4 bbl carb for an idle circuite and throttle body and squirters for you injectors. All mechanical and infinately adjustable. totaly streetable too.

I never have priced one but if you scope it out it may send you in the right direction of you're handy in the shop.

14. 8flat

8flat

I did a lot of reading on MegaSquirt, I don't think they're as hard to build as it appears. The best part of the system is it's cheap and very tuneable. Lot's of guys using them too...

15. squirrel

squirrel

I build a megasquirt cpu a while back, but I've never got up the gumption to actually put it on a car. Those carbs are just so damn simple....no wires.....

16. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Norrie you need to talk to Zenor thats on here. The guys up at the G Spot put some old Metor injectors on his 5 window. They took great work well. What more could you want?

17. Check out BDS and Kinsler for manifold ideas.
    I think Barry Grant just brought out some injection stuff.

Injector bungs and fuel rails are available online,
    and could be added to any carb manifold,using
    the carbs as throttle bodies.

The Megasquirt looks like a good deal,but you'll need some computer skills,and patients,to make it all work properly.

18. With Megasquirt,you can buy assembled CPUs off the shelf
    from a couple suppliers,if you are not into soldering.

The Megasquirt will also control the ignition,with the right software.

Remember to factor the cost of a laptop into your Megasquirt budget.

19. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

My kid built me this FI system.Check my old posts for info.

Attached Files:

20. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm planning to use my side darught Dellortos on the 250 as throttle bodies, and going port injection. I'd never heard of megasquirt until now. Sounds interesting.
    I had researched various factory systems to use and came up with some decisions:
    No MAF sensors..... won't work with my air cleaner assy.
    No crank sensors.... can't just add one to any engine easily.
    No automatic tranny involvement.
    I had settled on a Ford 4.9 system for mine, but the megasquirt may actually be better. Ford uses distributor signal to time system, and fires in 2 groups of 3 - like the megasquirt.

Larry Jenkins likes this.
  21. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Attached Files:

22. synthsis

synthsis

I was and still am very into VW's, newer watercooled ones that is. I had a 89 Golf with a 02 Audi TT turbo motor swapped into it. I was using the Electromotive TEC system, only because I got one for a steal, at least I thought. If I hadn't used that I was going to be using a MegaSquirt setup. If you can solder and follow a schematic you are in business.

23. Not entirely true, I've been wanting to do this to my old jeepster, Most of the programing can be done with a win98 comp (at least last time I chacked) and I scored a freebe laptop to run/tune it with.

24. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it for sale?

25. Do you think everyone can find a free laptop that runs ?

26. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

27. squirrel

squirrel

someone else asked first....no, it's not for sale.

28. rooman

rooman

A couple of years ago when I was back home in Oz I went to visit a friend who has an upholstery shop. He was building this truck at the time and did his own injection package using carb bodies.

Roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Now if I could just figure out home built variable cam timing. :D

30. hayduke

hayduke

Might take a look at http://www.diy-efi.org/

Looks like some pages are down, but there's a ton of info for home built efi's

2cents