Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moon Discs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Apr 24, 2007.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

Anyone every had luck with the moon disc wheel covers , (the screw on type) ? I would like to use a set i already have laying around on my Falcon for a while.I have had the snap on type before but they dont look as good as the screw on type to me.I used a set of the screw ons in the past but they always leaked until someone told me to put them over slot mags because the bead was thicker and the screws wouldnt push the tire beads away from the rim.This worked great until about the second time i took one off and the screws stripped out of the soft aluminum .Everyone that i have talked to about them has had problems with air leaks around the bead from the screws.Am i missing something simple or what?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Get the Dzuse button disks

3. Never used them, but I did see a guy epoxy screw heads to the snap on one before... hey it takes all kinds I guess.

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

use a fine thread stainless screw, tap the wheel to fit the screw. done.

5. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Or you could put some silicone on the threads before you screw your discs . . .

RRR

6. OLD BINDER

OLD BINDER

I Used Fine Screws With A Dab Of Silicone. They Never Leaked, But The Disc Would Crack Around The Screws. They Are A Pain !!

7. jerry

jerry

I've been running screw on discs on my truck for about 10 yrs. and haven't had any trouble. I just use stainless 8/32 screws that are cut off to just thread thru the rim at the sidewall area.The screws that I found have the washer as one piece with the screw.

When I do strip one out I just insert a heli-coil.

It is a pain to have to pull the disc to check air pressure though!

jerry

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

My Dad ran moon discs on a few cars. Wheel flex and screws backing out tore the holes out.

He now runs the Dzus fastener style. These are cool and not problems.

9. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">i got the snap-on covers on my 53 doesnt look bad ,but assholes have stole them right in front of my house. My dad has them on his 34 roadster with zues fasteners. easy on easy off & take more time to steal...
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10. chopdtop

chopdtop

I did the same thing with the 2 trucks I had with screw on MOON discs. I ground the tip of he screw off so that it didn't go all the way into the bead of the tire and put silicone on the screw when I put it in. Never had one strip out and never had it split the disc itself either.

11. madmak95

madmak95

got a set from speedway on my t . been on for about 2 year and have had no problems or leaks. had a set of pop ons and lost 2 of the on the road.

12. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I have snap on Saturns on my Falcon.

About all I can say is they look good, as I havent driven it off the dirt road, or over about 15 mph.

13. Muttley

Muttley

I'm running the screw on type on my Coupe right now. I had a little problem with sealing on the driver front but a tube fixed that. I just sold a set of the snap on versions today..........I bought them a little over a year ago, put them on for two seconds and thought they totally sucked. BTW if you are planning on putting them on a car with a Banjo you need to get the deep discs.........they were a special order but they only took an extra day or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I cut down a set of 15 inchers to fit my wife's (girlfriend at the time) Toyota, thought it would be funny. Pop riveted them in 6 places and siliconed them to her stocker 13 inch trim rings, worked great (too much effort though..) went to a movie that night, her car, and some pirates stole them, not more than 5 hours on the car! Hope the thievin' bastards sliced their fingers off, I know I almost did.

The dzus jobs look serious racecar.....vrooom vroom