Register now to get rid of these ads!

problem with port-a-walls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54fordmainline, Apr 22, 2007.

1. 54fordmainline

54fordmainline

hey guys i got a set of used 15'' port-a-walls form a buddy and took them to a tire shop to get put on but they couldnt get the bead to seal with them on the tire the guy said its because they were used has anyone had this problem ?? any info would help tim

2. flathead48

flathead48

I've heard of this happening with the used ones. They're only good for one or two mounts and demounts before they turn to crap.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

They supposedly use inner tubes even on a tubeless tire.

4. coupla things
    try dry mounting
    as any water orlube will be a little too slippery and they will shift around when final inflation is done
    and of coarse they were intended for tire's with tubes
    a patient tire guy and a little trial and retrial ...
    having the fakers offset slightly so the final pop is drawing it in the right place... good luck

5. 54fordmainline

54fordmainline

i heard to dry mount them and had the tire guy try to mount them dry but didnt work after a few trys so he tried the tire lube but still didnt work he said he never seen port-a-walls before so i guess ill have to find someone thats put them on before or save up the money and get real ones and roll my rubber spray painted ones untill then !

6. i ran the crap outa 3 sets of used tires with the same portawalls ... they need to be laid flat against the tire(it should be a good sized tire )on the the right width rim to narrow or wide causes them to not lay right... radials also may be the odd factor too
    a old style horizontal tire changer may help...

you can do this at home just as ez as a shop
    heck you should have your bicycle pump(traditional and ol school) and tire tools to swap out tires anyway
    its ez really

7. 54fordmainline

54fordmainline

paperdog im riding on bis ply tires im gonna try your advise and put them on at home next weekend ill let you know how it goes