Register now to get rid of these ads!

What happens to the stuff UPS looses?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Apr 19, 2007.

1. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I have an original Deuce axle lying in a warehouse somewhere tonight.

If I know the route it traveled is there any way to check to see if anyone remembers it? Someone surely picked it up off the floor & put it somewhere. I can't imagine they just throw that stuff away.

JH

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. Anderson

Anderson

No idea...but they've got a slightly damaged Vintique '32 grill insert setting somewhere.

Probably scrap it all...

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I think it may be going on a UPS hotrod.

Seriously,..has been MIA for a while?
    tracking #?

4. LowFat48

LowFat48

does it have a tracking # ?

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

huh... there must be a red handed hot rodder that works at UPS...

just like that johnny cash song, one piece at a time...

Tuck

6. 72sst

72sst

It goes to the UPS Netherworld.:mad:

7. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

About 5 years ago I worked for Airborne Express (now DHL) and you'd be suprised at how much stuff is 'lost' and winds up in the back of someone's personal vehicle. Worst thing that can happen is have a package marked as to what it actually is on the outside of the box.

Also, I've seen and handled packages that were loose loaded in the bellys of some planes. Makes me shudder to think of what might have been in them.

8. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

There is actually a warehouse for lost UPS items. It is like the one in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Amazing as it sounds, packages lose their labels, and become untraceable, plus most UPS workers can never find the parts by a description alone. I lost a pair of very rare headlights once...the package simply dropped off radar in transit. When tracked, it said "in transit"...as the last post. Thieves or space aliens, we will never know. UPS did pay the insurance claim though. The real mystery is what happens to all the lost packages in the warehouse...somebody is getting rich on ebay I bet...

9. 28rpu

28rpu

That suck's. I think at one time our UPS guy said that stuff goes in a container and then is auctioned off. Don't know if the auction is open or just ups people. You'll probably never see that axle.

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

In the same underground complex a friend had his machine shop in, was a MASSIVE storage space rented by a small team of guys and completely packed with stuff destined for ebay. Sporting equipment, electronics, tools, car stuff, furniture, clothes, etc. Believe they got most of it bidding on containers much like what was discribed by 28rpu.

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

They probably put a bunch of it on the big brown race truck.

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

dunno what ups does, but the post office has "garage sales" at thier mail reclaimation centers... "dead letter office" every so often...

computers, tools, movies. . .

13. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

mayb on ebay?

14. Mutt

Mutt

My brother worked for DHL, and they have auctions for the stuff in the lost and found department. Yes, some of the stuff is sold on E-bay, after being bought in the auction. I'm typing on a Toshiba Tecra notebook that he bought for me in the auction. A very good deal @ $120.00, especially a year ago when it was new.
    I asked him why they don't just sent the package back to Toshiba, and he said that just because it was in a Toshiba box doesn't mean that it came from the factory. Apparently insurance pays for it - why the insurance company doesn't take the stuff, I have no idea.
    He said it's a crapshoot when you bid - there's no guarantee it's a working/good item.
    I don't think the auction is open to the public.

Mutt

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

One time I watched my package go from california to philly, back to california, and back again before I got it in NJ two weeks later. I guess it fell behind the shelf on the truck or something.

16. it isnt just packages UPS loses. I watch my driver lose his way. According to the tracking number, my package takes 2 days to come 50 miles from when its picked up for the last time. Always wonder why my delivery gets dropped off at 7:30 at night. Bet my driver is the head guy at the lost package warehouse. He's certainly qualified.

17. they auction off the "undeliverable" packages and it goes into a fund for ups workers. it pays for "rectectomy's" that most of them need!

18. I heard that they have an auction once a year and sell it off in large lots, you never know what you are going to get.

CBB

19. suiside

suiside

lol...reading this cracks me up..i am a UPS supervisor..and laugh out loud when i hear people say that it was stolen..lol..for example monterey county just had the Sea Otter Classic (a bicycle expo and demos)..we had a package come throught with no to or from adress or label..so we opened it to see if there was any address inside..to my amazment there was a full titainium frame and fulll suspension inside..looked like a pros bike....so here is the answer to everyone question..where does it all go? it gets sent to the Overgoods department in Utah..where it sits in a warehouse until somone calls lookin for it, can describe it well. and if the center that found the item does thier job..they can trace it from where they found it..but majority of the time its too hard to find.

20. cretin

cretin

yea right "lost" I hope you had insurance. I bought a diff a couple years ago that got "lost" but had insurance, got all my $ back

21. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

I bought a 36 coupe windshield and frame a last month on ebay. It was packaged carefully but when I opened it the glass was smashed into a trillion pieces but the frame was still perfect.

I had it insured for 200 bucks. I offered to do the leg work and have the glass replaced at a local shop and assured them it would be less than 200 bucks.

Instead they came out and took the whole chingon. Now, UPS is in possession of a good 36 windshield frame which I guess will just go into the trash.

Fuckers.

22. They are building the most rad leadsled and hotrod we have ever seen at our expense.

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ya pay peanuts,ya get monkeys
    Go fedex

ha ha ahahah

24. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

suiside,
    Can ya post the phone number for this place so these guys can call and try tofind their stuff??

"...so here is the answer to everyone question..where does it all go? it gets sent to the Overgoods department in Utah..where it sits in a warehouse until somone calls lookin for it, can describe it well. and if the center that found the item does thier job..they can trace it from where they found it...."

25. T-Bone

T-Bone

UPS has an overgoods warehouse in both Atlanta and Salt lake City (or so I've heard). Can you imagine how huge such a place must be? Given that UPS probably has tens of thousands of packages in transit at any minute, I doubt giving the warehouse a jingle would get you anywhere.

26. They along with other carriers also sell the lost goods to freight salvage places like NPS here in SLC. One time I found 3 brand new Coker WWW there for $45 a piece. I just had to buy one more at cost and I was set. They always have other auto parts too.

27. All that stuff that gets "lost" ends up in the rings around Saturn. There you'll find millions in loose change; an endless supply of keys;socks; pens; the match to those single shoes and gloves you see on the highway; lighters; homework, shopping lists; every nut, bolt and screw you lost during your last build; and of course, all my marbles...:rolleyes:

28. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

A few week back I orders some parts from Speedway. When the box arrived it was pretty torn up. Upon inspection I discoverd a small piece was missing. I called Speedway and they said they would get another one out to me. Later that night a red pickup pulled up in the driveway. It was the UPS driver. He found my part at the end of the day when he was cleaning out his truck. He remembered the package was damaged and figured it must have been mine. I must have been on his way home. I got very lucky. BTW I called Speed way the next morning to tell them the part was found and I did not need them to send a replacement. They said just to keep them both and have a nice day.

29. metwiz

metwiz
    from Salinas CA

All the car stuff goes to Michael Waltrip racing. Dale Jarrett needs all the help he can get!

30. the-rodster

the-rodster

The term "needle in a haystack" comes to mind...

From what I understand, UPS sells everything to a company called National Product Sales, NPS.

This is their website - http://www.npsstore.com/

They sell the stuff locally, and on ebay.
    This is their ebay store -

http://stores.ebay.com/National-Product-Sales

They have over three thousand items on ebay right now.

Rich