Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rearend Noise, help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JBOLTON, Apr 16, 2007.

1. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

So I changed the ring and pinion gear in my 50 chevy, and now it makes noise when I let off the gas. When I'm accelerating it's fine but when I let off the pedal I hear the gears meshing.... any thoughts from the guys in the know would be appreciated. Thanks

2. john56h

john56h

Probably too much "back lash".

Did you set pinion depth and adjust the ring side-to-side for back lash according to specs?

3. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

sure did,,have original drivetrain so its a closed driveshaft.. had to put a couple of shims inside the torque-tube to set the backlash....going to check the third member/ring gear with a dial indicator today to make sure thats good.

4. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

any thoughts?

5. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Better open it up and check the wear patterns. Sounds like you missed the setup

7. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

so it sounds like the backlash huh? brutal.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You set B/L by adjusting the pre-load nuts that move the ring gear in or out of mesh, not with shims. Shims are used to move the pinion in or out of mesh, to obtain the right "pattern" on the gear teeth. All the components need to be adjusted in combination to have a correct installation with proper gear tooth mesh ('pattern'), B/L and bearing pre-load. A 'noisy' gear set can have catostrophic results in a short period of time, if the noise results from improper gear tooth positioning, so don't drive it as it is now.

Sounds like you either have excessive B/L (which will also distort the gear tooth pattern) or the shimming of the pinion is incorrect, which sometimes, depending on the gear set design, can affect one side more than the other.

9. bustingear

bustingear

In some rearends such as the S-10 (small 7.5 ring)commonly used in Camaro and Firebird and other GM models the backlash is set with shims as well as the pinion. There are no adjusting nuts in this model. Depends on what is underneath the 51.

10. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

yea,, going to put the dial indicator on it tonight and go from there.. I appreciate everyones input.

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I realize that, but I ASSUMED that he had the stock axle, since there was no mention of any changes. Probably shouldn't assume anything........:rolleyes:

12. john56h

john56h

It's going to be tough to estimate the backlash in the car with a closed driveshaft. You probably will have to pull the pumkin in order to check it.

The side-to-side spacing of the ring gear is just as important as the pinion depth in regards to backlash.

13. Relay

Relay

no no no... backlash doesn't cause any noise other then a minor clunk... you've set your pinion depth wrong therefore your gear pattern is incorrect. remember that little piece of paper that came with the bearing kit you used to install your gears.

you said it makes noise when you let off the gas? you probably have the pattern set too high.

if you havent put that many miles on the gears you might be able to set it up correctly by re-shimming the pinion. but if you've driven it a lot that pattern is set and if you change it now it wont help any.

[​IMG]

14. Relay

Relay

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"no no no... backlash doesn't cause any noise other then a minor clunk... you've set your pinion depth wrong therefore your gear pattern is incorrect."

Beg to differ with you - Backlash WILL affect the tooth bearing contact ("pattern") and thus, noise. It will go towards the heel of the tooth with excessive backlash and towards the toe of the tooth with too little B/L.

16. Relay

Relay

true... if backlash is less then .70 or more then .140 in that case the gears will get very hot and cause a good amount of damage.

but hopefully he's set backlash correctly.

17. Brickster

Brickster

I think you've got those decimal places a little out of place. I think he means .007 and .014

Keep it real!

PS- Why are you trying to look like Tredboy? Ditch manson, there is a well established HAMB'er that has the same avaitar.

18. Relay

Relay

i'm Not trying to look like Tredboy, in fact i had no clue who he was until i got a pm from him complaining that i used an unoriginal avatar. and personaly i could give two shits about my avatar, but i think i'm going to keep it (it's a free country) just to piss you ladies off.

you get real and worry about something more important then a damn avatar if he's so established then why is doesn't he use an avatar that he created on his own.

19. Brickster

Brickster

Respect...

20. bustingear

bustingear

Neither one of you are in your right mind having anything to do with that freak anyway. How can you worship that F--K?

21. Relay

Relay

i dont get it? isn't he a rock star?

22. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

ooppps,, all because of my rearend noise.....by the way it's fixed...

Jesse
    Goonz C.C

23. Does it matter if you've had a taco platter before? Any odd odors? Just checking. ;-)

24. Relay

Relay

what did you do?