Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carlisle find..Lincoln brakes..will they fit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clark, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Clark

Clark

I found a set of 46 lincoln brakes today at Carlisle. I got front and backs with drums. Best part is they are completely rebuilt. I think I got a deal at $400

What I need to know is what it will take to make them work with the stuff I have. I'm guessing the fronts are the ones that need spacers. Can I use these drums and hubs or do I have to use the 40 hubs?
    Clark

Attached Files:

2. flathead okie

flathead okie

I need the info too. btt

3. Clark

Clark

Maybe I should clarify what I want to put them on. I've got a 36 banjo rear and up front I have either the round spindles or the square ones.
    Clark

4. Yes the rear backing plates and rear drums will fit the rear with no mods. Just bolt them on. The front is another matter. The only backing plate that will fit the front is the 41 lincoln front backing plate.It has a shallow draw just like the 40 to 48 rear backing plate. The 40 to 48 rear backing plate will also work on the front. You will have to weld up the brake cable hole if you use the rear plates and change the wheel cyl. All of the other front backing plates have to deep of a draw or off set. You need to use the 37 to 40 ford front spindle. You will have to grind a little off of the top of the spindle where it goes down into the backing plate. You will see this when you put the backing plate on the spindle. The drums and the bearings will work as they are. Hopes this helps you.

5. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

The fronts will fit on your axel, provided you have the lincoln spindles. But it still takes some xtra work. Somewhere I saw that you can use the ford spindles , but you need some aluminum spacers between the backing plate & the ford spindle.I put fronts on my dropped axel, but had to figure out how to make it all work correctly, so it can be done.

6. Theres a set of 48 Lincoln spindles on the "for sale" area right now for 80.00.

7. TimW

TimW
    from Kentucky

I am using the fronts with the deep off-set on my car, they did require a spacer that was about 9/16 thick and I had to grind a little on the top of my spindle (round 37-41). Someone here on the hamb is selling the spacers to run the buick backing plates on the ford spindle and that is exactly what my spacer looks like. Once on the car you can't hardly see the spacer. The rear backing plates will work on the front with no spacer, but the spindle will still need to be ground on the top a little. We just put a pair of these on my dads car. Mine work great, we are still fighting a pedal problem in dads car but it may be a master cylinder problem...

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Looks like you have 1 front and 1 rear there

Kinda hard to see here ,,but this is a front and rear,you can tell by the shadow how much deepper the front is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It's hard to see in this picture but there is a spacer between the round spindle and the Lincoln backing plates. The top edge of the spindle is ground down some for clearance. The later model Lincoln backing plates have the deep recess like this one. The spacer locates the shoes under the drum. I think it's easier to use the round spindles than the square spindles. At least on the ones that I have.

10. i must have gotten lucky when i bought my lincoln stuff.
    mine fit with a bit of spindle grinding, but no big deal
    i think i had to grind the top of the king pin a bit too
    can't remember
    tk

11. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

i had to machine spacers...i think i may still have a set or two in the shop ill look...if i do ill stop by and give them to you at carlisle...i always make extras of that stuff thinking that other people are going to be looking for the same stuff

12. The 46 to 48 Lincoln spindles have more camber built into them than 46 to 48 Ford spindles and they will not work. I tried. I have used 46 to 48 square spindles and ground the top of the king pin and the inside part of the top spindle boss. When you use the spacers, which are 1/2"thick you have to use the 46 to 48 Ford drums, which also spaces the mounting surface out another 1/2" for a total of 1" on each wheel.
    The attached pictures are not very clear, but this modification has worked for me.

Attached Files:

13. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Nice score. Hey...how muddy was it at Carlisle? I'm going Thurs.

14. TimW

TimW
    from Kentucky

Wow! Thats my backing plate. Guess I should have wiped the grease off of the fitting before the pic. lol!

15. Clark

Clark

Thanks for the info...I'm glad the back will work with no problems. Not sure what I should do with the fronts. I really want to run the Lincoln drums. I have a set of the Wilson welding plates and just may use them. Or I may have to try Hemi Deuce's idea.

KW..stop by! IE25-26

I did get all 4 drums. I just took pics of 1 front and 1 back. I also got the E brake cable from the guy today. Hell I may actually run an E brake.
    Clark

16. I think HAMB member Choprods built a roadster using a Lincoln front axle, spindles, and brakes. The Lincoln's used an I beam axle with a distinctive center dip and they have a lot of drop from the factory. The spring perch sosses are 2.25" thick and take Ford or Lincoln wishbones and aftermarket spring perches. These axles are a tad wider than those used on Fords. But on a highboy they would be cool!

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes it is! I took this shot at Shades of the past in the motel parking lot. Doing research for my Lincolns. Bitchin' ride BTW:D