Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T - Model builders, paint removal help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Need to strip some ugly paint off an old (30 years) model. Sanding wont work because it leaves to many scratches, and its impossible to get into small areas. Also, the plastic is fragile. I'm going to try some brake fluid, takes off paint but not as harsh as thinner. Any other ideas? Thanks fellas.

2. Dont use brake fluid or thinner. Easy-off oven cleaner works great. Just spray on and leave a couple of minutes and then wash off in warm water. The paint will come off and it will not damage the plastic at all. An old trick that has worked for 25 years, so you shouldn't have a problem. Plus, if you hold it close while you do it you can get a nice lung scolding buzz!!

3. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks, I'll pick some up tomorrow then.

4. Mojo

Mojo

Soaking it in a small tub of Castrol Super Clean works wonders. I usually use it myself. Harsh shit, so wear rubber gloves. I'd also test any stripper on a spot that won't be seen to see if there's a reaction to the plastic.

5. I'll vouch for the oven cleaner too.

Another thing that works (which is really the same thing) is Caustic Soda. You can buy a container of it for a few bucks, use a couple of tablespoons in a bucket of warm water and let it soak for a while.

Doesn't matter how long you leave it, it WON'T hurt the plastic at all. If the paint is real old and hard, you may want to scuff it up a bit with some coarse paper just to get it started, just like paint stripper on a "real" car.

6. hemi

hemi

I'm going to have to second the Castrol Super Clean. Works like a charm, and even works on clear parts.

Soak over night, loosen tough areas with an old toothbrush or small wire brush and rinse and wash well.

The slimy stuff you feel on your fingers...IS your fingers. The stuff is effective, so either wear gloves or work quick and neat.

I've never used the oven cleaner method, but I have heard mixed results, such as attacking plastics.

They changed the plastic formulas around a lot in the early days, so test on something first if you go that route.

Also, if you ever need a spare part, or are hunting anything, I have a parts trader board set up called "The Horse Trader". Feel free to post wanted stuff, or kits for sale or trade.

Horse Trader Board

7. purple

purple

<font color="purple"> I have used oven cleaner many times. Easy off did well, but will damage plastic when left on too long. However, I have never had luck with generic brands.

I forgot about your page there, I have it bookmarked for my future. </font>

8. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

I've used Pine-Sol before....smells to high heaven, but isn't too rough on the plastic......

9. I'll third that Super Clean stuff!

10. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks guys...I tried the oven cleaner method, used Easy Off. Had to spray it down a few times, this paint was thick, then a coat of primer underneath it. It turned out pretty well though, no problems with melting the plastic. I'll post pics of the car when she's done.

11. when i was a kid,, i had a model i wanted to strip... didnt know what else to do so i dipped it in a can of gasoline... wow... things got scary so i hurredly washed it in water,, and reprayed the body silver..

result...

the body looked like a hand hammered finish....lol like someone had built the body out of guage metal with a tiny ball pein hammer... very cool result,, but not what i has after...

probably not what you are after either... [​IMG]

bob

12. Thanks from me too. I have a 1/18th 57 chevy done in the 70's and it's attrocious! I soaked it in brake fluid for days, trying to get the junk paint and goofy decals off. Didn't even touch this shitty paint! It's actually Mr Bones car but he abandonded it when he left for "the salt".

13. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

For the die cast metal models, try the citrus based strippers. Works like a champ. I haven't tried it on plastic. Wayno

14. StevesGalaxie

StevesGalaxie

Best thing I've ever used is "Scale Coat II". Its a stripper sold for the model train hobby, but the stuff works on any paint. 10 min soak rips paint right off, no bad effects on plastic. I don't use anything else , and I screw up lotsa paint jobs!!!

15. I tried sandblasting with low pressure and fine sand, took a few layers off an old model kit I was working on, left a good surface too.