Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mufflers under running board aprons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by manacoem, Apr 15, 2007.

1. manacoem

manacoem

Thinking of running my exhaust to the outside of the frame rails,and under the running board aprons to make more room under my A pickup.. Has anybody out there tried this? If so, did it cause any problems? Thinking this might keep heat away from the cab floor also. My A sedan was hotter than HELL even with good insulation! Any input is appreciated!

(manacoem)

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Shouldn't be any problem a good exhaust man can't handle.

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Running the exhaust under the running boards makes the exhaust seem louder inside the car, my mufflers are quite. Standing outside the car you can hardly hear it running, but it sure sounds a lot louder inside the car. Be sure the exit is well behind the door window, other wise when your sitting in trafic, the exhaust fumes come up inside the car/truck. Hopefully you don't have one of those rides that lay frame or otherwise is very low, the exhaust has to run under the frame at some point. Gene

4. sawzall

sawzall

I have my exhaust out under the running boards of my 40 ford.. your assumption is correct.. moving the eshaust out will keep heat out of the car..

however it will also limit the size of the mufflers you can run..

sawzall

5. toledobill

toledobill

It'll fit, the boards themselves aren't a problem, but watch out for the heat bubbling the paint on the aprons.

6. manacoem

manacoem

Thanks for the help I' gonna give it a try.. just needed input from another set of eyes!
    Jerry (manacoem)

7. on my 36, i ran the pipes and mufflers under the boards. i wrapped them all with that cloth heat wrap which both made it a little more quiet and kept the heat to a minimum.the exhaust exits right in front of the rear wheels which can be somewhat annoying to the wife and female children on long freeway jaunts, but no problems bubblind the rubber covers with 10,000 miles of drive time. i used stainless tube(304 ) and the straight thru mufflers from stainless specialties and it is holding up well. good luck. mike

8. also , i didnt have to run any pipes under any frame rails as i used fender well headers on my installation. nice and simple. mike

9. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

My 37 had a similar set up. No problems at all

R0010015A (Medium).jpg