Register now to get rid of these ads!

Truck rear fender question chevrolet 47-53

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shapeshifter, Apr 15, 2007.

1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter
    from meyham

Are the rear fenders on chevrolet trucks (47-54) the same? Also were the 47's the same as them? What were the diff. in 46 rear fenders?

2. Longbox55

Longbox55

Yes, the fenders from '47 2nd to '55 1rst are the same. Where there's an issue is that GM made 2 different body trucks in '47. The First Series '47s are carry over of the '41-'46 body, aka Art Deco, the Second Series is the "true" '47, aka Advance Design. The fenders on the '46 body truck are much narrower and have a different shape. they also have a raised lip that follows the contour of the wheel opening.
    Before you ask, GM did the same thing in '55, with the early '55 being the '54 body, and the true '55 being the Task Force body. This was due to GM wanting to get the new '55 car to market as soon as possible. That put the truck and the 'Vette on the back burner until March of '55.

3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter
    from meyham

The reason i was asking, is theres a guy on ebay that has a nos rear fender. He says that its for a 41-48, part no# 609657. You can see it with this ebay item number, 260107933083

thanks

4. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

If you're not hung up on having a genuine NOS fender, you might want to consider a brand new repro steel fender. Check with Classic Parts of America (formerly Chevy Duty) in Kansas City. Good luck. Hope this helps. Jack.

5. Longbox55

Longbox55

The fender he's selling is for a '47 2nd-'55 1rst. It looks a little rough to me for supposed NOS, plus it's been painted at one time!

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Years ago, my dad had a '55 Chevy Stepside Pickup and he put 68-72 Chevy stepside fenders on the back. It looked different and actually pretty good. I've got pictures somewhere, but no scanner, so I guess right now you'll just have to take my word for it.

7. NoSurf

NoSurf

I had a '41 that came with a flatbed, and I found a cheap Advanced Design bed/trailer, and set that on there. It looked pretty good I thought. I had to trim the front of the fenders to go around the running boards.

[​IMG]

8. Kustomz

Kustomz

That fender he is selling on Ebay looks more like a 41-48 car fender. It has too much drop on the top rear for a truck fender if you compare them.