Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goodman, Apr 14, 2007.

1. goodman

goodman
    from Miami

Do you guys know of any NEW carbs that fit this application? I'm tired of fouling spark plugs, running way to rich.
    Thanks, R

Attached Files:

• dw11.jpg
      dw11.jpg
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
  2. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..I would check the jets in the strombergs..Really, that shouldn't be to much fuel for that engine..1.5 to 2 CFMs per cubic inch..
    Duane..

3. goodman

goodman
    from Miami

It fouls the plugs at idle, I have a few cars with multi carbs set ups and the only one that idles right is my truck that has three carters on it. Any suggestions would help
    Thanks, R

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The first thing I'd do is add a fuel pessure regulator set for 2-2.5 lbs even though it looks like you are running a mechanical pump.

5. goodman

goodman
    from Miami

I ready to try anything, before I put a stock carb back on it and make my life easy
    Thanks, R

6. dochorsepower

dochorsepower

Yea, fuel pressure regulator. Regular pump pressure can sometimes over power the needle and seat on those Strombergs.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't give up. I run dual 97s on 2 of my cars. They can be made to run just fine.

8. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

You didn't mention what engine size, cam, heads, realistic HP rating,etc., also what size jets are in the 97's now? Given these facts we can hopefully get you back on track.
    the Dickster

9. I would love to see a picture of the 3 carter set up, I have lots of carters and have thought of running the same set up.

10. goodman

goodman
    from Miami

Here's a pic of the carters, and the motor is a 327 in the two carb set up.
    Thanks, R

Attached Files:

11. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..I would also check and see it the idle tubes have been modified..you can't believe what I've run into..Lots of times they cut the tappered end off and try to enlarge the tube..OH..Maybe the power valve is leaking through????
    Again, I don't think it's too much fuel for the engine..300 CFMs????
    Duane

12. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

i'm running twin rochester 2g's on my 287" pontiac v-8. my motor is bone stock, and i am running straight linkage (both carbs open at the same time), and a stock mechanical pump. twin strombergs should not over carburate a small block chevy, not even a stock one. it almost sounds like your carbs are flooding over...float stuck, fuel pressure too high ? i think strombergs like 2-2.5 psi of fuel pressure max. has it always done this, or did this problem just start ?
    i don't have any problems with my rochesters, and actually...my engine starts better, idles better, and runs better with the twins, than it ever did with a single 2 barrel.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think any Chevy V8 mechanical pump will have around twice the pressure a Stromberg will accept.

14. If its flooding at idle I'd also suggest the regulater. Ya might check the float adjustment also. And while your at it pull the idle needles out and make sure that they are up to snuff.

New Strombergs are between 300 and 400 a copy if you can get 'em.

15. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Try a regulator, but spend a little money and get a good one and a liquid filled pressure gauge.
    I was running a similar set up from Vintage Speed on my old 26-T. I had the same fouling problem but was running a regulator. Turns out, the regulator I was originally running was total junk.
    A stock mechanical sbc fuel pump puts out like 6-7 psi. I was told to run 3-3.5 pressure to the Stromberg’s to prevent needle and seat overpowering.<O:p</O:p
    </SPAN>

16. goodman

goodman
    from Miami

Thanks, I'm going to try everything
    R