Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight-through exhaust on an A Banger engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deluxe, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe

I'm having a hot-rodded model A engine built for my otherwise stock '30 Coupe. I'm thinking of running a straight-through exhaust from the engine. The engine will have a 4-into-1 header on it and I am thinking of routing the exhaust the same length as and in the same manner as a factory exhaust. No muffler. Just straight through. The engine will have 7:1 compression, 3/4 race cam, insert bearings, full pressure oil, and more. Will a high-flow straight-thru exhaust system hurt my engine in any way? Lack of back pressure? Valve problems?
    Please let me know what you know.

Thanks!

Deluxe

2. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Probably not if its jetted right. headache problems are a whole different deal

Jet96 likes this.
  3. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Should be zero problem, and will sound sweet!! Use 1 1/2 inch pipes max, you'll like that best. By using smaller pipe and the stock bends you will have enough back pressure, though you MAY lose a lil' power, not that it will make enough difference to notice. I have straight duals on my A coupe with B motor, and my '32 Banger See-dan. I am probably going to put some short glasspacks on my '32, as I am getting a little tired of the noise after a couple years, starting to sound a bit like my 8N tractor. I still like it on my A coupe. You will most likely start it from time to time just to listen to the galump- galump of the idle.
    The valves will be fine, there's too much length to let cold air into the exhaust valves, which can be a problem on a super short pipes. You won't hurt anything but your ears. Long drives get the most annoying, short jaunts, no worries. You WILL get noticed as they will hear ya coming.
    Your neighbors will like you, but you won't get any complaints from hot rodders of any age!! Really want to hack the neighbors? Put on a Magneto. YeeHaw. Have fun! Tim :)

4. Deluxe

Deluxe

Cool. Thanks for the replies from you both!

Deluxe

5. steevil

steevil

Build a lake pipe with a removable baffle. It will sound sweet but if you need to take a long drive (or roll incognito), you can pop the baffle back in and fly under the radar.

I carry my baffle under the seat. Should I get pulled over for a muffler ticket, I can pop the baffle back in.

At WOT, it resembles a low flying ariplane more than anything. It certainly does sound like a tractor at idle though.

[​IMG]

6. A Boner

A Boner

If it turns out that you need some back pressure,or need to quiet it down, do a search of "cheap stainless steel muffler tech" by "a boner". It involves EASILY putting cut up stainless fender washers inside a exhaust pipe, as baffles. :)