Register now to get rid of these ads!

aww frustrated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Apr 11, 2007.

1. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

I'm becoming frustrated in my search for a car in my price range. All I find are either rusty p.o.s's or 15,000 dollar cars. any advice guys? I've at least spent 12 hours on the net looking at older cars.

2. Mike

Mike

3. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

When searching on-line do you search by "my price range" or do you enter actual numbers?

4. fast_46

fast_46

Looking on the 'net is easy but its no fun. Some of the coolest stuff I have found is by back alley shopping.....if you see something that looks like it hasn't moved in awhile, it can't hurt just to go knock on their door. I don't know if you live around a rural area or not, but around here there are frequent farm auctions; lots of well kept old iron goes for cheap b/c to other old farmers it is just junk. Just look in the least obvious place (not the internet) and you will find the best deals.

5. A lot of great hot rods were resurrected from rusty pieces of shit.

6. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

What are you looking for? What's your price range? How far are you willing to travel to get a car?

One tip I have is put what you're looking for in your signature line. Maybe someone will read it and PM you...

Tucker

7. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

well the obvious question is....................
    what are you looking to spend and what type of vehicle????????????

9. ditz

ditz

A whole 12 hours? It took me 2 years to find my F-1.

10. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

looking for a chevy,pontiac,olds,merc , etc etc. 50-59

11. Go Get In Your Daily Driver
    Drive One Hour From Your House In Any Direction And Then Slow Down And Start Lookin
    Oh Ya Bring Almost The Whole Amount In Cash Your Willin To Spend..

Check All Auctions In Yor State .. Get..a Hemmings Or Old Car Weekly...local Auto Shopper!!!!!
    Computers Will Help Ya Get Parts After You Have Dragged The Project Home

Your Doing It The Hard /easy Way ..

Paperdog

12. 31whitey

31whitey

5000 or below for WHAT?...my advice would be first figure out what you want...then take out an ad in your local classifieds, yes it will cost money but you will be surprised what you come up with...

13. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

What are you looking for as far as a vehicle goes? For $5000 I can find you thousands of cars or trucks. Problem is, if they aren't what you want, then what good is for me to look?

Ditz spent 2 years looking for his F1. I spent 15 years looking for and finally deciding on a project. 12 hours ain't nuttin!

14. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

pontiac chieftans really catch my eye. 50-54 chevy's. so i'm not really looking at one specific car

15. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

16. BigRed390

BigRed390

I got my 62 galaxie for $3500. There is hope. You're like I was though. I didn't know exactly what I wanted, and just happened to run into something that caught my eye and now I'm obsessed with it. Oh, and i've been looking for a project since high school (approx. 4 years.), so don't give up too easily.

Whoever made the comment about having cash in hand had a great point. That opens a lot of doors.

17. 31whitey

31whitey

sorry s.r.i....but it sometimes seems that while you are responding,the point gets addressed by another like minded individual, or cleared up by the poster

18. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Check the times on the posts and you'll see the wonderful phenomenon of what happens when others hit the "Submit Reply" button DURING your response to a post.

As my 7 year old says "DUH"

19. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Hey Cracker, you got your heart set on just those years, or you willing to go north and south of those year models? Also, how far you willing to travel to get what you want and do you have a way to transport it home?

20. oldguy829

oldguy829

I've spent 12 hours driving to look at one POS.
    Realistically - Get some info/pics of old cars and pick out a handfull that will float your boat. Then canvass every thing from ebay to web forums (hamb, hotrodders, deals on wheels, racing junk, trader on line, etc. etc) also want ads in the newspaper (both your home town and those towns within about 200 miles (If you are not willing to drive 200 miles to look at a car, you're not serious) You will soon find a type/year/model that appears to fall in your price range. By then you will recognize your car when you see it. I've generally been able to find something acceptable within 6 months. But my criteria was like - a Fat Fendered GM. roughly 38 to 42 chev/pont/olds/buick with an open mind towards Ply/dodge/chrysler and didn't slam the door on 46 - 48's. If you make it any tighter than that, 6 months may not be enough. And by 6 months, I mean virtually every day, every weekend, checking back on every source you have identified.
    Maybe I'm wierd, but I love the hunt.

21. 47bob

47bob

22. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I just came from the gas station, I picked up the local "Old Car Trader" there were probably 20 or more cool looking 40's-60's era projects under $5k I saw a 2dr Esdel, a 2dr 58 Chevy Wagon, a 57 Bel-Air 4dr...all complete. Plus there were a bunch of cool looking "missing motor" projects around $2000

23. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

I spent almost five years looking for my shoebox, and i had it in less than 3 days after posting a wanted thread on here... ARROW straight body (no bondo either), very little rust, only $1100, but i had to drive 900 miles to get it. No motor or trans, door glass a little messed up but other than that the car has all the original trim, emblems, front and rear glass etc. Def. worth it IMO once i sell off all the extra stuff...

Attached Files:

24. OLD BINDER

OLD BINDER

take your time .don't get in a rush ,you will get burned. good luck looking

25. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

as a former auto salvage owner and licsened used car dealer of of the facts i learned is 75% of cars are sold within 50 miles of home. like jay leno says i can buy just about any car in the world in my own back yard. the best place to look is at home. you can inspect. and the title problems are always less when you are not dealing with out of state paper work.

26. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Have two Pontiac Chieftans sittin' around the corner from me (complete cars) and a 52 Chevy. Each one would go for less than 1500. I don't think they are listed anywhere. Just look what's around you. If you can't find anything let me know and I will call these guys and find a firm price for ya.
    Fitysix

27. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

5g's and you can't find a car...none of my cars cost half of that!!! wow!!! word of advice tho, first decide what you REALLY want then search for it, cause you might have a cool car but unless its what you really want you'll always still be looking, oh and don't let a little rust scare you away!!

28. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah the search is 1/2 the fun. I went to buy a 20's dodge cowl and chassis but missed out on it. Was talking with another guy on ther farm and ended up with a complete A Tudor. Follow up every lead and dont be shy to call someone you dont know.

Another good trick is to slip down to kinko's etc and make up flyers with pisctures of the type of cars you are after and your contact details. Everytime you are in a rural area walk into a shop - preferably one which farmers etc go into (hardware, NAPA, gas stations etc etc), intro yourself and ask if the person knows of any cars like the ones in the flyer. Chances are they wont, but then ask if there is somewhere you can put up the flyer. I have used this techique successfully to buy houses without realtors so getting a car should be even easier. Good luck with your search.

29. oldguy829

oldguy829

Doesn't Leno live in L.A.? 13 million people, should be able to find anything you want. I can't find squat in San Antonio. Keep wanting to visit Flat Top Bob - Owens salvage yard, it's in Texas, just 400 miles away.

30. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Exactly!

Don't run out and buy something just because it was made in the fifties and it is under $5000. Narrow down your search. Check out local swap meets. Ask around, car clubs and neighbors. Post on those free bulletin boards at strip malls, grocery stores, gas stations. Shall I go on?

I spend more that 12 hours just to narrow down what I want.

Also, guaranteed that after you buy one, you WILL find a better deal. So. be prepared to buy more than one.

Neal