Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL bomber or other aircraft seats and belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Dang Kirk, those are NICE. Thanks for posting the information.
    I think thats what Im going to put in my dads coupe.

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Thanks Kirk! I'll look into those. Look nice!

As far as seats, I'm using seats out of a newer 6x6 military truck with the seat backs cut down.

3. Muttley

Muttley

Thanks for the info, I'll be calling those guys. :cool: :cool:

4. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I know this guy who leaves up in the woods.
    He has this old car,look it has no roof !
    The seats are out of some areo-plane.
    You can get the whole thing for a couple cords of wood I'm sure.

Attached Files:

• bd.jpg
      bd.jpg
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

My lovely wife bought a set of these repops for me off of ebay, they ran 500 each plus 47.50 shipping and I got the belts with them.

Attached Files:

• 67_1.jpg
      67_1.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  6. titus

titus

ive thought about selling my seats but id know id be pist off after i sold them thinking, why the hell did i sell those! done it before, plus i only paid $300 for the pair, these are stainless steel also, my buddy had gotten them for free from another freind of his.

ill find a car to put them in someday.

jeff

Attached Files:

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Not ALL Spitfires had a Bakelite seat...not sure what the story was on when and why they were used.(or not!) Google it and you'll find lots of info on scale-modelers trying to get the color and shape right. I read somewhere that the originals were prone to cracking and chipping or something so Aluminium may have been used in the later seats. Aluminium WAS used in many for sure!
    Still...the Bakelite style would be cool and different, even if molded in fiberglass for durability and painted to match the original Bakelite finish.

You've worked on Spits, or any old warbirds for that matter? Your one lucky guy! Man, I love those incredible machines...;)

Wasn't Bakelite used for the skin for De Havilland Mosquitos?

No...but the style of wood lamination used was applied to the construction of certain race cars by Frank Costin (A former DeHavilland Mosquito Engineer) in the fifties! The main monocoque structure of the car was laminated wood and performed well!!!
    No flies on the Brits when it comes to engineering unusual stuff...to the point they're often considered eccentric because of it. Some very creative people over there...;)

8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Thanks KIRK! for the lead. To save everyone an email or two, here is what I found out earlier today.

Email from Allan

Hi, We have them i would suggest the sage color because they are softer and more conferrable and we have a lot and they are still in original boxes 3 inch Quick release belts . we do not have much qty on the 2 inch belts but we can look for them we have sold a lot of the 3 inch belts in the past year all for Hot rods the price of the belts are $125.00 for each Belt delivered give me a call for more info Allan Bass 732-349-7730

9. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Yeah those old belts look cool.But everyone I know who has them in a car never puts them on.
    The cam lock is a pain.For passengers it's a hassle to udjust to fit.
    3" wide belt across your belly ain't comfortable.
    Looks neat but not worth it in my onion.

Get some simple belts that work and draw no attention..02

10. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Attached Files:

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm looking for 12" belts. Safety first!

12. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Thanks KIRK
    I've talked Allan and will be ordering my belts this week. 3inch all the way!!!

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Sometimes you do have to go for cool before comfort.

14. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Ohh,I know that.(have you seen my shoes?)

15. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

I don't have a photo of it, well I probably do but have no clue where it is, but my 39 dodge has the 3 inch cam lock belts in it. If I remember correctly, they are stamped in 55. As far as comfort and ease of using the lock and adjusting . . . I've been using the belts for years now and they are pretty comfy. The cam lock isn't that difficult to unlock. The trick that I've done is leave the belt a bit loose so it sits below the gut/true waist line. As far as adjusting em, all you do is put a bit of tension at the base and extend the belt out. I've got a few more sets of belts almost identical to what's in the car and I am not going to hessitate about running them on the other cars.

RRR

16. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Hello,

Thanks for the recommendation of Flyboys for old bomber seat belts. I called today. The guy I talked to was really nice and full of information. He served in the Airforce and flew bombers (so he is not just blowing hot air). He was very honest about what the differences are. I wanted something that looked good, but was not original. I would hate to destroy mint condition orginal belts ( I intend on using them) He had some great solutions and offered a fair price for two! Two belts came out to $75.00 each. Learned alot about the history of them.

Just letting you all know!

Take Care,
    Marty

17. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

these are ones i aquired here from a fellow Hamber, does any one know exactly were they come from or what they are out of?

they are very, very light and made out of aluminum:)

[​IMG]

thanks!

crazycasey likes this.
  18. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I bought these this past weekend. They were mounted in a 4x4 hunting buggy built out of an old military truck. Bought the whole thing for $105 on ebay :)

They have a little corrosion damage that needs to be fixed (steel mounting brackets...)

[​IMG]

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Hey Steve. Those seats are out of a twin-engine Beech 18. Also known as the AT-11.(Advanced Trainer bomber). The Dehaveland Beaver also had seats similar to these.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Did these things ever have a cushion in the bottom? or some sort of other upolstery? or did you just sit on bare aluminum?

21. meanirishmofo

meanirishmofo
    from Hi

This seatbelt is out of a P-3 aircraft I work on.

[​IMG]

V8-m likes this.
  22. spooler41

spooler41

any one looking for aircraft seats or seatbelts would do well looking at a publication called TRADE A PLANE .It can be found at large news stands or book stores.
    hope that helps. jack

23. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks for the info Larry:)
    I wonder where i can find cushions for these?
    those 3" cam lock belts look nice too.

24. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

This guy named Frank in Denver makes excellent reproduction seats, all hand made and he has the old bomber belts also. He made the seat for the Ionia roadster that was at the GNRS
    His ebay name is: bullmbella He's a nice guy, easy to work with.

Attached Files:

25. rustybucket

rustybucket

Coupe-De-CAB I PM'd you a little more info about your seats.

Chris

26. are these things even that comfortable?

27. Appleseed

Appleseed

The pilots sat on their chutes. Instant cushion. Look at the crew on the left. See how the chute hangs down?

[​IMG]