Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopped/Carson'd COE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas Huffer, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

The other day on Modern Marvels, there was a flat black '47-'53 chopped Cab Over with a Carson top. Does anybody have pics of it. It's inspired some ideas, but would love to see it again. Thanx.

2. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

OK, here's the idea, let me know what you think... Still a little rough but you should get the idea.

Start with a '40 Chevy COE, set it on a mid '30's 1/2 ton frame. Run it open wheeled, and throwing around the idea of using a Flathead Ford.

I've never seen an open-wheeled Cab Over and think it might be a fresh idea.

Attached Files:

3. I had one of these running around in my head back in '93. It was a '38-'47 Ford cab on a modified Deuce frame. A chopped highboy with an integral hardtop & Duval-looking windshield. It would have had "roadster" doors with no roll up glass. The body was sectioned and the hood/grille area was a short (length) & tall (height) loose interpretation of Boyd's AMBR-winning Smoothster. Probably the only thing that kept me from building it was the fact that I also wanted to make a Ranchero-esque bed joined to the cab. It would have been an amazing undertaking. Far beyond my metal working skills.

No part of it would have resembled a "traditional hot rod" though. It looked like big $$ in my head and on paper. The Chip Foose rendering (hanging on the wall here beside me) is a killer.

Maybe someday...

JH

4. zgears

zgears

Terrible idea. Read a book.

5. tomslik

tomslik

i thought about it before i found a set of fenders for my old 46 coe.....

6. chevychris5

chevychris5

How come you guys keep stealin my ideas? been looking for a chevy to do this to for quite a while. Chris

7. steevil

steevil

8. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I hate those wheels, but the overall affect is cool. Maybe a vertical grill to give it sort of a locomotive feel...

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Sorry, that thing looks like a cabover which made a quick stop and the custom car it was carrying jammed itself into the cab in a big and ugly way. Sometimes just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Now, that earlier COE as a hiboy might be a different story...who's going to try it?