Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salinas to Austin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodP, Mar 24, 2007.

1. RodP

RodP

Hello
    My names Rod. I've been lurking on here way too long. Meant to sign on but procrastination kept getting in the way.
    Leaving for the Roundup in Austin tomorrow in my 56 Chev wagon. My pal Juan from Deadend Magazine has signed on as co-pilot. We will be following El Pratt in his 49 Ford. I asked LP what route we were taking and he mumbled something about 2 lane roads, Teepee Motels and Roswell??? Should be interesting.
    Things are kinda busy around here today, so if you don't mind I will post my official introduction when I get back from the trip.

2. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

hey Rod...I lived in Pacific Grove for a couple years and worked at Marina Auto Stereo right outta high school. come stop by the Bodylines,Inc booth at the roundup!

3. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

Rod:
    Wishing you a fun trip.Looking forward to seeing your pictures from the Roundup.
    Your Friend for 50 Years
    Jerry

4. Deadender60

Deadender60

We're in Los Angeles right now... taking off tomorrow.. so far so good!

5. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

Rod:
    How about a update of your trip from Salinas to Austin for the Roundup.If available please post pictures taken along the way.
    Enjoy!! Jerry

6. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I saw the wagon coming up the hill on S. Congress and immediatly pointed it out to people. The 150 trim really seems to make it for me. Don't recall seeing another '56 150 wagon. Didn't realize it was yours until you pulled away later on. Welcome to Texas and welcome to the HAMB, from Texas.

7. Deadender60

Deadender60

Well just in case anyone was wondering we made it back to Salinas safely... The wagon didn't skip a beat.. Rod if I had the money I would love to buy the car from you...

I had a great time in Austin. Met a bunch of great people... Lee & Suzanne Pratt (great guides and wonderful people), Jimmy, Mr. Norwell, Flat Top Bob (and the rest of the Road Rockets), Mr. O'brien Truckers, Reggie, Denise, Steve, Ryan, and many many more great people....

I don't think I could have planned a better trip!

See (as they say in Texas) YA'LL next year!
    -Juan

8. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

rodp and deadender60

it was great to meet you guys!

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Rod and "Uno", it was wonderful meeting both of you and having the opportunity to hang out and get to know ya alittle. I sure hope our paths cross in Paso next month.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rod
    [​IMG]

Some of Rod's artwork that was dispalyed and for sale in the Continental Club
    [​IMG]

10. guiseart

guiseart

Denise, I want whatever you are smokin... yer always so damn happy!
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You'd be smiling and laughing too if you were being hugged by Rod Powell the famous artist and the very sweet and down to earth Juan who we nicknamed "Uno" cuz I was having a tough time remembering his first name then he stuck his index finger out and said just remember "Juan", and OldBobSign said "Oh Uno":D Lots of laughs with those two.:cool:

12. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Juan, good seeing you and Rod. Glad you all made it back safely. Did Lee roll back with you?

13. RodP

RodP

Hey everybody we made it home. We used one quart of oil and the speedo got noisy so I disconnected it. The 56 ran fine all the way
    The Texas hospitality Kontinental Style was outstanding. You all really know how to throw a party. The show has grown a bit since the one I attended in the football stadium.
    Cars, Art, Music and lots of old friends and so many new ones I can't begin to list them here. With Lee and Suzanne as guides and Juan as my copilot I never had it so good. What more could you ask for?
    For the return trip the Pratts went back through Roswell and Juan and I went up to Amarillo so we could bomb at the Cadillac Ranch. We met up with Lee in Flagstaff for dinner and headed out the next morning for home, They went to LA and we headed through Bakersfield to Salinas.
    I took lots of pictures but I haven't learned how to download them for the H.A.M.B. yet. I'm going to get Juan to help me with it.
    Thanks to everyone. I had a great time.

14. suiside

suiside

Hey rod, hows it goin..i think i met you a few weeks ago at Auto Villa here in Salinas as i was asking about Hot Rod Flatz..anyhow seems like your trip went well..hopefully i can tag along next time..-Suiside

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Rod and Juan.....great to meet ya...it was fun!

16. metwiz

metwiz
    from Salinas CA

Wow, Rod Powell FNG! It seems like everyone from here has just discovered the H.A.M.B., my self included. Juan, where can I get a t-shirt? I saw Glenn at Bay Photo with one and would like to get one,(got to promote the local scene)! One more ?, when is the cruz at Bay Photo going to happen? Looking forward to that and Paso. Looking forward to putting faces to names.

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Rod Powell, I'll be damned. I got to see your art upstairs, sorry if I got drool on it. I didn't get to meet you but I did see Lee P (you are too funny, with those initials, trying to be stealthy) what a great damn guy, one of my heroes, you too.

Be good and thanks for laying a most beautiful path.

18. Deadender60

Deadender60

It was great meeting all of you! I had a great time...

I work for Glen McDowell at Bay Photo Lab... All we have right now is XL and XXL... The Bay Photo Cruize Night is April 28th...

-Juan

19. Rod, Juan and Jeff, great meeting all of you and getting to hang some. Glad you all made it home OK and we'll meet up somewhere down the road I'm sure.

Rule # 1 - Walk up to someone you haven't met in Austin and introduce yourself. They're just an old friend you haven't met yet.

Dennis