Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 Special Coupe Chop????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Coupe, Apr 9, 2007.

1. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any chopped Special Coupes out there? It's got a lot more wood than a Standard Coupe(also seems taller than a standard coupe).

I go back and forth on rather to chop it. Seems like it would be more work than it's worth.
    My thinking is that I would have to make new wood pieces to replace the chopped ones???

Any pics or suggestions on this topic would be grealty appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Reds 29

Reds 29

I have a 29 standard coupe chopped 3" and the tops of the standard and special coupes are the same size. I had to use a piece of a special coupe to replace a rusted out quarter window. Your special coupe has the metal nailed to the wood around the back window, and then covered with cloth. On a standard coupe it's there more for attaching upholstery then for strength. The quarter window and B pillar wood are about the same, as a standard coupe. I cut the wood on an angle, to provide maximum gluing area and glued it back together around the quarter windows. On the B pillar I just shortened the wood piece. If your wood is in good shape, just cut it and glue it back together with a good wood glue. I don't know if this helped or not but I'd glue it back together, it would be difficult to make new pieces.
    Red

3. 28Abone

28Abone
    from Toronto

Hi there I'm building a 28 special coupe and all I did was fill in the roof using a 80's olds omega , kept it at stock height. (see pics) Also put in 1 inch sq. tubing for shoulder harness. The choice is your , if you like the head room don't chop it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    28Abone.

4. 16grem72

16grem72

she already is sitting really high. I think unchopped just makes it look too tall. 3 inch chop would make her look a lot cleaner and not so gawdy.

5. 28Abone

28Abone
    from Toronto

6. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the input.

I thought about glueing the wood back together. My concern, as you pointed out, is that the top of the car is primarily wood. With very thin metal nailed to it. Which then gets covered by the material.
    I work for a woodworking shop. So I have been kicking around making the new pieces I need.

Just wodering if there was anybody out there with a chopped Special Coupe. And how they went about it.

7. Reds 29

Reds 29

Mine is a standard coupe chopped 3" and I have plenty of headroom, just have to plan your seat arrangement. I think they look too tall unchopped, but it's your car, do what you want. I filled my roof with a '72 Vega station wagon roof. 29Abone, what did you do around the back window, the special coupes didn't have a finished window edge, the cloth covered it? Did you use a standard coupe back piece?
    Red

Attached Files:

8. gashog

gashog

I think my SC looks dandy at the stock height, but I too have kept the rear fenders on the car.

Attached Files:

9. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Is the wood structural or merely a fastening point for interior?

10. gashog

gashog

The wood is the attaching point for all the leatherback edge moldings

Attached Files:

• extP.jpg
      extP.jpg
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
  11. 47bob

47bob

Personally I would leave the top alone, lower the hell out of the car and put on front fenders. Probably not the look that you are after though. .....Bob

12. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Cool lookin project. I got a 29 special coupe im building also and im torn between chopping it or not. Keep us updated if with whatever you do.

Rob

13. Chop it, replace the wood w/ metal

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

YIKES! that thang need it's hairs did!!

15. pecker head

pecker head

I chopped mine 5 inches , put back window out of 40 pickup in . No wood , all 1'' square tubing . You can see my junk on the thread ( visted peckerhead28 this weekend ) !

16. peckerhead

peckerhead

here's peckerhead 28's so called 'junk'
    [​IMG]

looks great chopped...

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Wouldn't it be more unique if you chopped it and redid the leatherette like a stocker, top and all? Everybody would be wondering what that was!!

18. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be exactly what I would do.

I know we all have our theories.....I was just curious if someone here on the boards had actually chopped one of these cars, and how they went about it.

19. pecker head

pecker head

SUITE:cool: