Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech request: What do you use to make the wall of frame rail holes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiat128, Apr 9, 2007.

1. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Excuse me if it's a dumb question but I'm just getting started here and really don't know what I'm doing. I'm building a frame from scratch using rectangular tubing. I searched the archive but did not find the exact answer I was looking for

I want to make a section of the frame rail with holes in it that decrease in size and was wondering what people use for the short sections of tubing that get inserted into the cutout holes in the rectangular tubing. A friend (fellow HAMBer actually) knows a guy with a water jet so we are going to try this to cut the holes and aren’t going to be constrained to whatever size hole saws come in

]I had a couple of thoughts on this:

Use standard pipe to save money. Problem is that I need the first hole to be 4.5” ID and they don’t make pipe that size

Make the tubes by rolling 1/8” sheetmetal around a core and welding the seam (seems like a lot of work if I could find ready made tubes)

I have seen quite a few cars with these types of holes so someone out there must know what to use.

2. Jalopy-Phil

Jalopy-Phil

3. I used exhaust tubing. Same wall thickness as the rail tubing