Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Chop 06 Car Update - 03

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped50Ford, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Finnally did the motor swap. (Thanks Bud! for the Flatty and OD)

Upgraded the car to a much better compression motor and and OD trans. Car had a standard 3-speed w/ 3.78 gears in the rear.

This thing should fly nicely in Overdrive.

Dressed up the motor, pulled and cleaned up a bunch of caked on grease parts and cleaned them up. It had 1" of "cake" on everything.

Dont mind the firewall and inner fender panels, when I do the body work, they are coming off and going to the sandblaster for a nice cleanup. :) Every bolt I tried to take off, including the hood hinge bolts busted. Lots of drilling and re-tapping. :eek: What a pain. I really wanted to pull the front clip to paint the firewall...after a few busted bolts, I opt'ed to wait till I really hit the body work hard.

Well...here is the new motor - Headers, Early Chevy Flattop 4-lobe Distributor conversion, dual carbs, chrome intake adapter, and other chromed up goodies (thanks Chevnut). im hoping to fire it tomorrow night, new exhaust on Saturday!

Attached Files:

2. cretin

cretin

that looks bad ass

3. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

That is one of the most beautiful sunset shots I've ever seen!

4. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

5. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

youre welcome on the chrome and sorry I flaked on the swapping of that motor. Looking Good Norm.

6. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chopped 50, Progress is looking good ! Wish I could say more about my Model "A". I have a friend who has a lathe. I will check with him this weekend. I may have a tranny case for you. I had to use all the parts out of it to rebuild my '47 Truck Trans. I will stay in touch !

41 Dave

7. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Lookin good Norm. Sorry I couldn't stay and help.

8. Wild Thang

Wild Thang
    BANNED

That's killer norm...

9. Thanks guys, I just turned over the motor tonight with the starter button. :)

Gotta make linkage for the dual carbs, plug the vaccuum port and I think she will fire!

10. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

11. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

NICE!!! Cant wait to see that thing again....

12. Zombilly

Zombilly

Dig that intake man, and thanks for setting me up the other night with the paint ;)

13. no problem.

Update: Got it to idle and run smooth. Need to set the timing and adjust the carbs. The car is a bit sluggish w/ the 2 to 1 adapter. :confused:

14. SICBOY

SICBOY

looks great cant wait to see it

15. Yep, it was the timing. Slightly retarded. Advanced it up 7 degree's and it purrrrrrrs like a kitten. The 2-1 Adapter operates smoothly.

Also, Just wired up the OD trans. Test run will follow Wednesday.

Ill post more pictures of the final result.

Thanks all for the good comments.

16. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

some pics from last night...

Attached Files:

17. THanks for the picts.

Cool :)

18. tragic59

tragic59

The car is bad-ass. And thanks for keeping us posted. Too many of the past HAMB chop cars have disappeared...

I noticed the 2 HAMB Alliance tags... Did I miss the renewal date?

19. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

hmm...the rear window is interesting. anymore profile shots of it?

20. What are you the H.A.M.B. Police, errr Highway Patrol? It looks like the spacing of the letters turned out nice- the furlough worker done good!

Thanks,
    Kurt

Attached Files:

21. It depends on when your 2006 membership started. Go to your profile and click on 'paid subscriptions'. it shows when your renewal is due for 2007.

22. Speed,

The rear window was lifted 4" and flipped upside-down to close the gap between the rear side window and rear glass. Plus, it give the rear window area and roof a "tapered in" look from behind. As for the 3/4 rear view, you dont have the typical 1-2' gap in the 'sail panels' between the side and rear.

Here are a couple of pictures that I had on file so you can see what I mean.

My opinion on the preference of the position of the rear window is how I wanted my build, I dont mean that the other 'boxes' are incorrect. I just prefer the way it was done on mine.

The rear window flipping was a mere suggestion by Killer, that was later taken literally.

I thought it was a great choice.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

23. extremist

extremist

fantastic chop - the angled pillars/rear side windows, the flipped back window... really interesting and it all works. I'm filing this one away for future consideration for when I chop my sedan

Love it.