Register now to get rid of these ads!

55' pontiac frame swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Apr 6, 2007.

1. dudes! got this 55' 2dr wgn and pontiac has kingpins unlike the chevy's kind of a basterd child in my opinion. got a couple of 55-56 chevy frames (supposed to be all the same except converts?) and realize the pontiac is supposed to have a longer wb. 116" vs 122". they look the same from firewall back has anyone done this swap? don't want to do subframe on this one. i want ps.pdb... and a chevy is much easier to upgrade (bolt-on). i have been working wth mark at scarebird and db conversion is fantastic but leaves you with 5on5 pattern. then you need to address the steering issue and that leaves you at frame swap or subframe.FEEDBACK DUDES! THANKS.:D

2. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Dude
    Sounds like a lot of extra work and money for nuthen to me. My 56 Pontiac 2 door wagon goes down the road just fine the way it is.

3. belair

belair

I'm pretty sure there were two wheelbase lengths for the Pontiacs. Be sure your car is the same as Chevys. I think this would work. But I have thought before and it didn't work out like I thought.

4. Play400

Play400

Check out this site. http://www.passion4pontiacs.com/forums/index.php Bill Eveland has just finished his conversion to ball joints from king pins. Also check out yahoo grops for 50's Pontiacs. Bill was also complaining about all the extra work to mini tub the back end. None of those problems with my Canadian 55 Pathfinder but all of them with my 51 Chieftain.

5. the swap your reading about involves finding old pontiac parts. i have already e-mailed bill on this swap plus a ps. conversion. if old pontiac stuff was laying around like chevy stuff i would do that. you need to remember canadian pontiacs had chevy running gear and suspension. lucky dog's! the canadian pontiac's had the same wb as chevy's. i have owned and driven both pontiac's and chevy's of these years and they both give me flintstone nightmares in stock form. thanks for the feedback dudes!