Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to chop a roof? HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikedag, Apr 5, 2007.

1. mikedag

mikedag
    from Canada

Hey guys i got a 54 Bel Air and i wanna chop the roof down a couple inches. Do you guys have any suggestions on the best way to do this or any web site i may be able to go on to and read the best way to do this.

Mike

2. martell06

martell06

i don't know what your skill level is but my recommendation is to look a few chop threads with progress pics to make sure you know what you are getting into. I've never done one but i know it takes alot of time, skill, fabrication, and patience.

3. Yeah, search for chop threads, there are a TON of good ones. Here's one to start you out...

'50 Fleetline Chop

Even if it's not your particular model, the principals are the same. Plus, you can pick up How To build Custom Cars by Tex LeRoy. It's a good book.

The rear windows on 54s are a challenge. See if you can get the back glass froma 49-50 and use it. Some like that look (like me) and some don't.

Rots of Ruck!

4. Doc22

Doc22

Do a search on this forum for this:

BODY, stovebolt chevy chop.w/pics

It oughtta give you an idea of what to expect. Good luck and have fun.

5. Custom54

Custom54

Make sure you know what you are doing, an easy way to rune a car.
    "ratstu" chopped my Belair, I will see if I have some pics to send you.
    What are your plans for the back window?

6. mikedag

mikedag
    from Canada

At this point i dont know what i am doing with the chop i want to do it but dont know if it is worth it. Thats why i need some help. For the rear window i dont have a clue on what to do yet. I was talking to someone in my area after i posted this and he did chop a 54 bel air so will be going to se him soon. But thats as far as i no what to do at this point

7. slamdpup

slamdpup

dude if you are planning on chopping this car ..no what YOU are doing...dont depend on anyone unless you are paying them to chop it for you...i have chopped a 53 chevy hard top..it was easy...and i have a 54 chevy 2 door sedan i have chopped ..it is a pain in the ass if your dont know what to do...i had no help but i wanted a chiopped car really bad..so i did a little homework bought gene winfields chop top video..that helped alot..but to tell you the truth..i recorded the monster garage episode with the 54 chevy build..and watched it ,watched it, and watched it..that and the winfield video got me through the chop..but i didnt have a clue on what i was doing ..and yes the back window is a bitch..if you use the stock window..alot of people on here do not like the wrap around glass..but i like it..i like it because it still looks like a chevy with the stock glass. but yes its a pain in the ass to work with...luckily i can weld and beat the hell out of metal really well..lol...so think long and hard before you cut antything...its defintly not a weekend project either...the inside fabrication is just as much work as the outside..rebuilding door tops, reworking the quarter glass surrounds,...there alot you can do to the car other than chopping it right away..look at this car...not chopped but low as shit ..if this car had frenched heads and taillights..and a nice paint..this would make a cool ass mild custom...basicly it doesnt have to be chooped to look good..nort tring to discourage you just ive been there..have fun

Attached Files:

8. mikedag

mikedag
    from Canada

i no what you are talking about i will look into those videos thank you. i have helped chop a 34 dodge sedan and coupe mildly so i kinda know what to do. but the inlt reason i ask is because of the shaped glass. those cars just have flat glass.
    Mike

9. skyrodder

skyrodder

there is in articel in ol skool rodz i think its issue #4 but not sure... there is an article with pics of how voodoo larry chopped his 53 chevy... i used that article to chop my 4 door 54 chevy.. look for it,

10. sawzall

sawzall

how rusty is the rest of the car?

does it need floors, rockers, lower quarter work?

IF so YOU MUST fix that stuff FIRST..

someone once said, "you must restore before you modify"

I cringe when I see guys "chopping" a truck cab thats not on a chassis.. and I cry when I see someone chopping a car that has NO floors..

11. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

KNOW what you are doing...not NO what you are doing...bloody hell

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

You gotta buy "How to Chop Tops" by Tex Smith, and maybe "Top Chopping" by some Australian guy whose name I don't remember but Amazon.com has it. Get them both. Read them over and over. Then cut.

13. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

After reading all the posts......I think we all know what the outcome will be for this ride............

14. mikedag

mikedag
    from Canada

ok thank you guys i will be looking into these books and movies and the outcome will soon be a car with a chopped roof in the next year or so...

Mike

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

Just a couple of tips...

Start slow, dont get in a hurry to cut it.
    Plan for about day of looking at it/ planning/ measuring/ laying out the cuts, before before you acctually start.

Work as symetrically as possible left to right, ( specially where you cut it.)

Find the center of the roof and put a couple of marks on it ( just so you have something to measure off, if you end up chasing a problem.

Lots of chops are not symetrical left to right.
    I'm correcting one right now, a '31 Model A Coupe.
    About 1/4" out left to right on the B pillar, 1/8" on the A and C pillar.
    I'll post about it later...