Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Roundup '07 Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NoSurf, Apr 3, 2007.

1. NoSurf

NoSurf

It all started a few weeks ago when Jeff highboy32 (a long time 32 owner) called me to see if I was going to the Roundup. At that time I was on the fence as to if I was going, as I was nervous to drive my coupe that far, and I felt weird with the prospect of trailering it.

Jeff ended up convincing me that we would drive down together, since we both had stock flatmotors with 3 speeds.

He came down to my house in Abilene KS from Omaha Wednesday nite. His coupe spent the nite in an open bay in my little shop.

[​IMG]

As we watched the weather channel and local news late Wednesday nite- we knew we were going to encounter a little rain.

[​IMG]

The couds looked heavy as we rolled south on K-15 and after Jeff fueled up in Durham KS it started to rain. It rained off and on down through Wichita and into OKC, where we stopped and were treated to lunch at Irma's Burger Shack by a pal from the area.

[​IMG]

When we came out from lunch- it was pouring. And it pretty much rained the whole way from there on out. When we got to Ft Worth on 35W, the sky looked very ominous, and later we found out why; tornados.

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

We didn't see any tornados, but that could be because we were stuck in a downpour in very heavy traffic. At one gas stop, we were told that I-35 was closed in Waco.

[​IMG]

Not sure what to do- we decided to continue on, figuring they might have a detour suggested if we were to leave the interstate. We lucked out and saw that the Northbound side was closed- for about 20 miles it looked like. We motored on and when we drove through Temple TX the rain let up, and it was smooth sailing all the way to South Congress, where we immediately were met by the HAMBers from Omaha and Phoenix and Detroit.

Being that it was after midnite after the reunions, we went back to the hotel where we were sharing a room with Malcolms Uncle John, but alas, they were out of cots, so I slept on the floor. It was dry, and it wasn't loud and shaking, so I slept like a log.

Friday we woke up to more rain, but we weren't daunted. We raced over to Reggies house for the garage crawl. What an awesome time! Such great shops with some really cool projects going on.

[​IMG]

After we met up for some BBQ at Dukes North of Austin. It was very good.

[​IMG]

After lunch I split to go see some friends in Marble Falls TX.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

keep em coming! We enjoyed seeing you over the weekend. Glad to hear you made it home safe....

Malcolm

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

The ride up to Marble Falls was incredible, twisty windy roads and an up and down roller coaster ride. On one loop I cam down to find a backhoe sitting in the road trying to clear a storm culvert of debris, a foot of water running across the road. They moved out of the way and waved me to cross. I made it through, but the flatty coughed and got waterlogged, so I had to stop and dry out, which was easier now that the rain had let up and the sun was trying to make it's first appearance of the trip.

After visiting for awhile, I headed back to Austin and met up with the boys from Omaha at the South Austin Speed Shop. I got to meet Bob Bleed and his Dad and see their kick-ass hotrods they brought down from Wisconsin.

After that we all headed over to Congress where things were quite a bit livelier than the previous evening. Had some excellent bbq and watched cars and chatted with HAMBers. Saw Kevin looking a bit peaked. After midnite headed back to the hotel where I got to sleep in a cot which was nice.

Saturday morning dawned brightly and you could just tell it was going to be a beautiful day. Breakfast at the Hula Hut was awesome, my kinda place for sure! Jeff and I got to park aside John's Rolling Bones 5 window.

[​IMG]

After we drove up to the show, which was awesome in itself. I got to see so many excellent cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

You should have posters made of that second photo. Awsome shots!!

6. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Dude big balls homeboy... You don't know what your cars made of till you just drive it... Big props homeboy....

7. NoSurf

NoSurf

After the show Jeff and I stopped at a Evilmart to get some supplies to fix his original '32 radiator, and we got misdirected around to the Northwest of Austin. But we soon found Texas Rt 2222 to get us back into the city. The next time you are in Austin- I highly recommend a jaunt along that road LMAO.

When we got back to Congress-it was packed. I got in a really slow line, and my clutch was complaining, so I cut back to the hotel to park and walk back up to the Continental Club. While at the hotel, I met up with Big A and a couple other guys from the Sock Fuckers car club from Atlanta. We rode up to Congress in a LOW ass chebby. As we were coming back down Congress- there was a group of people holding up scorecards to "rate" the cars, as we pulled by- the older 65ish year old woman held up a 9. Chris, who was driving, didnt agree with the judge, so he lifted up his shirt to hopefully get a 10. But instead the woman lifted up HER shirt and stuck her boobs into the car. Someone yelled "Oh my God- i just saw Betty White's TITS!!!"

That pretty much turned out to be par for the course on Congress Saturday nite. I hung out with Jerry at his newly renovated pickup in the alley next to the club, and watched the goings on till the wee hours.

I met up with Aaron Plowboy who was looking for his ride back to his place he was staying, we went up to Trophy's to see if his friend was there, but wasnt, so I offered a ride in my coupe. On the way we passed a mostly intoxicated young woman spawled on the sidewalk in front of the church, having a terrible time trying to get her thong out of her ass. She said she was ok, that her boyfreind would be back after he was done being pissed off. After the long walk back to the hotel- we took the coupe through the drive-thru at "eh, it's ok burger" for a late nite snack, and I dropped off Aaron.

Jeff and I got up early Sunday morning and headed north on I-35, where got as far as Denton TX before I lost a water pump on my flatty. Needless to say, after a few hours of HAMBness I was on my merry way again.

We stopped somewhere in Oklahoma around 1 am to fix Jeff's radiator, but more on that tech post later this week.

Here is the parting shot of us getting ready to set off Monday morning from a parking area north of OKC.

[​IMG]

There you can see the sun coming up, with Chris and Jeff standing in front of the Haliburton van filled with guys in red jumpsuits, Jeff's real steal 32 5 winder, my 30ish coupe, and Chris's Rescue Tahoe.

What a trip. Lifetime memories.

Thank you to all.

8. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

sounds like the perfect trip , speedway water pumps are great , have had them on my flathead for 16 ? years wish I would have met ya , good looking shots to rember the rest of your life ! maybe next year Casey

9. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

thanks for posting pics-
    what an AWESOME trip.
    you guys are real.

Tuck

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha - Yeah man, you have a great story there, the pictures are rad as hell, and you and Jeff are straight up SOLDIERS. Your car is sooo comfy too - after sitting in it early Saturday I just kept wanting to crawl back into it and take a nap throughout the day. You have to drop that tech soon.

I'm calling Tuck out right now, and all four of us are driving to Austin for the Roundup next year.

NoSurf likes this.
  11. sololobo

sololobo

What a cool episode, man some of those pix are poster quality. Jeff is my home boy hot rod hero for sure!! Roadburners Rule!!! Thanx for takin the rest of us on your great adventure, Maybe titled:" COUPE DE THRILL" Yer Pal-Sololobo

12. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Jay, that was great. I havent devloped my pics yet, good to see our trip in color and while I am dry. that was a killer trip. I still cant believe we made it. I wouldnt change a thing about that trip, well maybe cut out some of the rain and maybe have overdrive and maybe radial tires and maybe a sbc (more reliable?) . Scew it was an awsome experiance. Next time I am atleast gonna change the sparkplugs.

13. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

14. Dirty2

Dirty2

Glad to see yall again and to hear yall made it home ok. Great picts.
    Danny

15. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

glad ya'll made it home ok--

16. Retroline

Retroline

Looked like a great trip, Don't know about riding shotgun with someone who had the bottomless beans though.:eek:

17. Great story, great pics, great meeting you - you're an inspiration!

18. jerry

jerry

I know what you mean about driving that far in a hotrod. My truck got on the road at 11:30 wed. morning and went to the LSRU. It's just so much more fun driving to something like this!

jerry

19. awesome. this makes me want to spend the next month in my garage.

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

jay. i read every word. it was a great story. but i am left with only one thought after looking at the sunrise pic for a really long time:

dude, your car sits so right.

that and the fact that it was a 'magazine quality' story and pic portfolio. dont ya love the haziness of the color in a cheap ass wal-mart camera?

21. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

Road trips are great!!! Good story and pics...thanks. People that don't venture far from home with their cars or carry them around on a trailer don't know the fun and excitement of a long road trip.You are storing up some cool memories and experiences. Keep it up!!!:D

Wannabe....I doubt if that black '38 coupe is for sale. It belongs to Ryan...our leader. He has had it a long time and it's cool as hell.

22. Plowboy

Plowboy

Jeff.....ummmm.....I mean Jay......It was good to see you again. Thanks for the ride. I found out my "other" ride passed out. They had no recollection of what happened. Ha Ha Ha If they were in that bad of shape it was probably for the best. Damn lightweights. Apparently Texas will turn an Illinois girl soft.

NoSurf likes this.
  23. surferfletch

surferfletch
    from FL

Enjoyed the pictures! When's the next trip? Saw a good candidate for a beach wagon in one of the early photos!

24. OHR281

OHR281

great story man, thanks for sharing... Our trip was a lot shorter, and not nearly as interesting.

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so, we driving the coupe to the drags this year?

i am really super envious of this trip. but i still can't get over the rake.

or maybe i've been looking at jeff's coupe this whole time...

what a pair.

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

Thanks guys.

The one thing I would change if I could would be to have Jeff's and my coupes parked together at the show. It was my fault, I got there before Jeff and was too lazy to move my car. I am a dork.

Even with the water pump going out- I felt helpless for a few minutes, but then Chris stopped and I knew Ryan was gonna post up about needing a pump- I knew we would get back on the road, and it would be another exciting chapter in the adventure.

To me, it's all about making friends, and overcoming adversity.

27. Awesome story and pics. Hopefully I can make it down in next year or two.

28. Enginetuner

Enginetuner

Yep, glad you came to see our great town of Marble Falls, deep in the hill country of Texas, come again any time and give us a note, hospitality here is bar none, GREAT!!

29. sounds like a great trip,thanks for the pics

30. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...great read bubba...see you at the Hamb drags?

kidcampbell71 likes this.