Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moseley, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Moseley

Moseley

My dad and I are working on a '34 Ford pickup. We have a '40 flathead V-8 for it. We have Weiand aluminum heads and a Weiand 4-carb intake for it with 4 Stromberg 81's. What would be a good cam choice for this engine? We want something with a good loping idle, but something that isn't too aggresive for the street.

2. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I'm a big fan of the L-100 (search for info) for a lopey idle and good street preformance. 4 carbs, even 81's, would be a bit much for anything outside of an all-out race motor unless a couple of them were dummies.

3. dochorsepower

dochorsepower

I agree, the 4 deuces are over the top for the street. If your block is a '40 you probably haven't taken the displacement too big, probably 256? Put some thought into the whole thing-real compression ratio, valve springs, whether to do deck relieving, porting. Yea, they need a lot of porting help to make power. At least a 4" Merc crank.
    - Just more options to confuse you! Have fun.

4. Those 4 carb intakes look plenty cool, but I'd run block-off plates on two of them. Even an all out motor will run well on just two carbs.

5. Vergil

Vergil

There was a discussion a week or two ago about 4 2's on a flathead and I think the thoughts was it is fine. I will see if I can find the post or someone may remember it.

6. Cadien

Cadien

It would probably be time well spent to sell the intake on Ebay and replace it with a 2x2 or a 3x2 with progressive linkage. Thats alot of fuel for this motor. I'm running a 265ci merc flathead and 2 holleys gives me all the fuel I need and more.
    Just my 2 cents.

7. Vergil

Vergil

8. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..I believe a good rule of thumb is..1.5 to 2 CFMs per Cubic Inch..You do the math..
    Duane

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

CFM needs change substantially between 180, 360, and IR manifolds. Most flathead 4-carb ones are close to IR configuration, radically upping numbers needed...and not allowing carbs to be blocked. Apples, oranges, hamsters...

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Bruce
    What about running one progesive ? 2 & 2

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Look over the manifold...most I've seen have only small balancing passages between the carbs. They really are just barely manifolds--it's unlikely distribution would work well. Check out that post on four carbs...
    most are made so pretty much one barrel feeds one cylinder. I know there are other types out there, like the Evans mentioned, but I have not seen those and don't know layout.
    I've never tried one--but it really seems possible that a 4-carb might be just right for an engine that is over-carbed with three.

12. Moseley

Moseley

The Weiand I have is basically an IR. There are barely anything you could call a balancing passage. Pretty much one barrel feeds one cylinder. I've already looked into the whole 4x2 deal, and I have my mind made up on running this intake. So, does anyone else have any helpful cam information? Is there a cam quality (longer duration, shorter duration, etc.) that is more suited to multi-carb set-ups?

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Lemme know if you want to sell the 4-carb intake - I've got a wanted ad in the classifieds section for one.

Your '40 engine should be a 221 - so slightly smaller than the more common 239.