Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Mags Do You Read?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve 38, Apr 2, 2007.

1. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Until middle of last year it was Classic & Sportscar, Practical Classics, Classic & Thoroughbred, Hemming Motor News, National Geographic etc.

Starting in about July of last Year I started reading Old Skool Rodz, Car Culture Deluxe, then Rod & Custom and the last two months I picked up Garage. Also bought a book on working sheetmetal this weekend, hmm somethings going on here...

2. Spike!

Spike!

Nuns With Guns Illustrated. The Sally Fields issue flew off the shelves. Mainly I buy it out of habit.

Spike

3. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Hot Rod...I like the way the magazine is layed out for some reason, not too many advertisements and it always feels well put together. Rod and Custom, whenever I actually go somewhere that sells it.

4. you asked..
    rodders journal
    rod and custom
    hotrod
    carcraft
    rod and kulture
    olskool rods
    car culture delux
    rolls and pleats
    trad rod and kulture
    street rodder
    good guys
    custom classic trucks
    collector auto
    hop up
    hemmings
    muscle car
    collector car
    old car weekly
    old car price guide
    national chev. assoc.
    linechaser msra
    street thunder

and some others
    around 25 in all

i like the trad rod stuff most but alot of info come from the colector car - restorer mags
    and swap info comes from the weekliesand local stuff
    the mail man is kept employed and we have a big mailbox

i try not to exclude any group
    rods and old cars is what i like any kind

o ya
    i have nearly all early hotrods and am starting on the little books
    and recently have been getting hardcovers of early lakes and drags history
    paperdog

5. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

Rod and custom, gearhead, garage, dice, ck deluxe, varla.

6. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

Rod n culture, rolls n pleats, burnout...

7. 97flatrat

97flatrat

Does my weekly Eastwoods catalog count?:p

Right now I get Hemmings, Street Rodder, Rod and Custom, Rodders Journal, Classic truck and Mustang Monthly.

From the other posts I thinkI need to check out Rolls n Pleats... I've never seen that one before.

8. hemi

hemi

Car Craft... I like Car Craft. And that classic trucks magazine with the hippies and their truck build off, that's a nice one... and Drag Racer 'cause the 'Goose and Garlits get to spread a little knowledge...

9. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Its all about garage magazine and gearhead magazine. They are the best, fuck the rest!
    p.s. and the horse magazine for bikes.

10. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I get Gary Minor's "Diehards" magazine (because I am a DIEHARD KUSTOM guy).
    And I get "Kustoms Illustrated"

Attached Files:

11. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I hear there's a guy on here that makes a mini magazine called Church. He doesn't use any big words, in fact he hardly uses any words at all. That's when he's not busy almost dying of course.

Garage and TRJ are the shiz-nit cover to cover reads for me. Trad Rod and Kulture is rock solid and getting beter all the time.

carsnotculture.com

12. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

I have subscriptions to some buy others (starred*)when they are interesting

Men's Health
    Sport Compact Car
    *Import Tuner
    Super Street
    *Rod & Culture
    *Old School Rodz
    *Car Culture Deluxe
    Street Rodder
    *Rodders Digest
    *Rod Builder
    *Kit Car
    Jp
    4 Wheel Drive

13. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

i saw it listed here a few times...but surprisingly few...Kustoms Illustrated is, in my opinion, the best mag available today...of course i'm a kustom car nut...oh, and fuck gary minor and his rag, i wouldn't line my birdhouse with it...

14. kean

kean

15. meanirishmofo

meanirishmofo
    from Hi

I notice alot of people mention CKD, I don't care for it just because I want to see Cars and not how to be trendy with Hair, Clothes, and Music. My .02

16. Do you have info on Diehards?

17. I'm addicted.I buy anything that has traditional kustoms and rods.

18. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

"Is Modern Dwarf full size or digest size?"

I believe it's LIFE SIZED, and best of all, it still fits in your pocket.......

But, to remain on topic.

I concur with the masses, TRJ, TR&K, R&C, and whatever else can be spelled with only consonants and ampersands....

19. The address is Diehards, 357 Warwick Ave., San Leandro, CA. 94577. Subscription is 25 bucks. Hope this helps.
    Max

20. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Garage magazine is my favorite.
    Also subscribe to and like Rodders Journal, Dice and Traditional Rod & Kulture. I also tend to thumb through Old Skool Rodz and CKD-- but prefer not to buy them due to the obvious.

-scott noteboom

21. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Hot Rod

Rod and Custom ( it keeps getting better)

Street Rodder ( since vol 1 #1) I think I have most of them.

Street Rod Builder ( if it catches my interest , less than 1/2 do)

American rodder sometimes.

Very occasionally do the "counter culture " mags get my eye and my money. They are trying to support a lifestyle that never existed in the old days. We would of been laughed off the street with the cars they drive.

22. Hop Up
    TRJ
    R&C
    Surfers Journal
    The New Yorker
    The Economist

23. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Anything that I see which might interest me, which isn't much. My Circle Track mag subscription runs out this month. I won't renew because there's no straight axle modified or sprint car tech. I REALLY liked Custom Rodder when Jerry Weesner ran the show. Were it not for Weese, I never would have realized what a Kustom Star Bill Hines really is...:) Plus there was home built tech that required sweat equity rather than mega dollars spent on advertiser's parts.

I was a real magazine junkie for 40+ years, Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Cars, Car Craft, Rodder's Digest, Stock Car Racing, Old Cars and Parts and a ton more. But when the good reads either went away,the rest were sold out to Primedia and Buckaroo, advertisers became more important than readers, it left a sour taste in my mouth and I became VERY selective. For 5 or 6 bux, I expect to be entertained for at least an hour and possibly learn something.

I actually like OSR as much as any mag at the moment. I enjoy text about rods and stories as much as I do photos, and the staff there manages to supply both throughout the mag.

Jan

24. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

read mags? I can't even read...geez....but the Pictures are nice when they are in color! lol

25. rooman

rooman

Paperdog,
    you must be my long lost brother <G>

I currently subscribe to, or buy on the newstand or at events:

Hot Rod, Road and Custom, Street Rodder, Popular Hot Rodding, Car Craft, Motor Trend, Road and Track, Car and Driver, Automobile, Auto Week, Car Culture Deluxe, Old School Rods, Garage, Hop Up, Rodder's Journal, Auto Graphics, Dragster Australia, Drag Racer, Drag Racing Action, Elapsed Times (Willowbank Raceway-Australia), New Zealand Hot Rod, Vintage Nitro, Nitro Madness, Performance Business, Performance Racing Industry, Hot Rod and Restoration.
    On the occasional purchase front I also check out and sometimes buy American Iron, Hemmings, Cycle World, Truckin, Street Rod Builder.

Roo