Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear end question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brady1929, Apr 3, 2007.

1. brady1929

brady1929

i will be starting my 30 roadster soon. any input on the drive train i am thinking about would really help.
    option 1 - 327 t-5 trans and 66-77 bronco rear end?
    OR
    option 2 - 327 t-5 trans and quickchange rear end?
    any thoughts? or help

2. john56h

john56h

Well if you plan to run a T-5 transmission, you've already determined that you'll be open drive. Some of the old Quick Changes were torque tube, so you'll want to stay away from them.

It really comes down to you budget. The Ford rear is a junkyard item, the quick change could set you back a considerable amount of money.

Have you considered using a Ford rearend....and (gasp!) attaching a quick change cover to give it the "look"?

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I think only the very early Bronco rear ends are narrow enough. I'd go with a Maverick eight inch myself.

4. brady1929

brady1929

are the maverick rear ends hard to find? are they 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern? can't a quickchange be made to work? thanks

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

If you have the $$ for a quickie, then do it......nothing beats it for looks and they sound cool runnin' down the road...
    Maverick's are 5 on 4 1/2.......easy to find though....

6. brady1929

brady1929

what would you do, swap out the axles? i don't know the answer.

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You need a banjo rear and the quickchange to build a rearend.....The Hot Rod Works (I think) has updated 9" axles to run in the banjo bells and open drive conversions...If you don't want to run the stock, keyed axles...
    Check with some of the Alliance vendors.....Cyclone Kevin has the QC's....

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I use wheel adapters

9. brady1929

brady1929

anyone have either combination that can make any comments on their setup? thanks
    \

10. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

The '66 -'77 Broncos ARE the "early" ones and they already have the 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern. And they are narrow. If you already have acess to one, grab it and go. As someone else said, a Q.C. could be alot of work or a lot of money or both.

11. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

HMMMM...

Depends on what you want to do with your ride. If you're going to just drive it, then go with a fixed gear rear. If you want to romp it and stomp it, then personally I'd go with the quick change rear. I don't mind getting under neath and changing the gears for the long haul drive, and once I'm there, change to some stop light to stop light gears. Then you have the best of all worlds. Yes a quick change will set you back more outright and than fixed rear end, but if you don't like the way it's geared, it's a whole lot easier to change out quick change gears, than it is to change out the punkin.

IMO

HellRaiser

12. dochorsepower

dochorsepower

Every one has rear end questions! Oh,sorry.
    First of all don't even think about early Ford keyed axles with any more torque than a Moped. Next is MONEY, a Ford 9" is relatively bullet proof and plentiful - but, If you're ready to raise the price of poker, nothin' looks as cool as a QC.

13. brady1929

brady1929

is the pumpkin centered on a bronco rear end? thanks

14. Algon

Algon

The pumpkin is centered ,therefore the pinion is not . If you cannot find a Bronco try a Heavy Duty 62 to 67 Econoline the rear is the same. Most are 4-1/2 but ones such as the Ma Bell fleet units were 5 on 5-1/2. People are wise to the usefulness of the Bronco and the prices are going up, the E-line is often overlooked and cheap...