Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Plymouth flat six crank bolt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marq, Mar 31, 2007.

1. marq

marq

Hi all having problems getting the crankshaft pully off the flat six and the book don't say much.Is it left or right thread?having trouble locking the motor up too any tips on that.............Marq

2. marq

marq

3. 2manybillz

2manybillz

It's right hand thread. Is it in the car or out?

4. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

I big impact usually does the trick. It is standard threads, nothing tricky. I usually thread a bolt into one of the bellhousing bolt holes and wedge a large screw driver between it and the flywheel to keep it from turning.

For removing the pully there are tapped though holes in the pulley, I think they are 3/8" or 5/16". A steering wheel puller works the best, but if you do not have one of those, take a peice of scrap steel, place it between the timing chain cover and the pulley and thread the bolts in carfully. The scrap piece is used to protect the timing chain cover.

5. marq

marq

in at the moment

6. 2manybillz

2manybillz

I'll probably get flamed for this tip but lacking an impact gun if you can wedge a breaker bar against the frame you may be able to break it loose with the starter. Don't let anybody near it when you try it. It's worked for me in the past, also slung the breaker bar across the shop once or twice. Not the best way but has worked for me when I was in a jam before.

7. 4woody

4woody

I put a big C-clamp on the flywheel to keep it from turning (Turn by hand till the clamp is wedged), then a big adjustable wrench with a cheater to get the nut off.

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Well when I did mine the engine was out, and the pan off, I put a 2X4 between a crank throw and the block. Also had been soaking it with PB blaster for 3 or 4 days. Then I whacked on the end of my breaker bar with a three pound sledge. Used the impact wrench once it began to move. You can remove the dust cover on the bottom pof the Bellhousing to secure the flywheel if you don't have the luxury of having the engine out and pan off.