Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrap yard. Anyone want anything?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luckydevil, Mar 29, 2007.

1. luckydevil

luckydevil

Someone just emailed me some pics from a private scrap yard that is going to be crushed out. I haven't seen anything in person yet but it all looks pretty rough to me. Does anything look like its worth saving? Anyone have any parts requests? I'm going to check it out this weekend.

Attached Files:

2. 57 Fairlane roof & passenger door trim

3. luckydevil

luckydevil

The story on this stuff is the guy bought a farm and these cars are on the property. He wants to clear everything out. He said there was also 10 "gangster looking" cars in the barn that he hauled to the scrap yard already. I wish I could have seen those. Anyway I'm going to try and go down on Saturday to check everything out. I'm gonna bring some tools & a saw. If anyone has a little extra cash & feels like going with me to pull parts PM me your phone number, I just want first dibs on any big block chevy or hemi motors and maybe a few other things. I'm pretty sure the stuff is gonna be cheap.

4. tj

tj

Need right door 41 chev pu.

5. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

That last pic looks to be a Pontiac flat six. I need the intake and exhaust mainfolds. Serious. -stick

6. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Can't do Saturday but I'm available tomorrow? Bill

7. luckydevil

luckydevil

Bill, I would love to go tomorrow. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy on when I can go. It might be tomorrow but I wouldn't count on it. Most likley Sat or Sun. I'm hoping for Saturday but I'll go whenever he will let me.

8. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Can you find out where he sent the other cars? Some scrapyard folks set aside goodies. . .

9. luckydevil

luckydevil

Let me know how to identify it to make sure it is what you need and what it's worth to you & I'll try & get it for ya. I have no interest in that at all so whatever your willing to pay I'll offer the guy, if he says OK than it's yours.

10. luckydevil

luckydevil

I asked him already & he said they were shredded. He towed them one by one to some scrap place that has a big schredder. He got around $300 a ton or something like that for the cars. He said he moved those out first because they were mostly in one piece and were easy to move. I'm sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

11. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Need a 57 Ford rear end and 57 ford Y block 4 barrel intake if available or the whole damn engine.

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Get what you want/can from the place, and then, just conversationally, tell the guy that he might have shredded a couple cars that were worth over 10 grand each, depending on what they were, even if they were in rough shape. Just mention that there are some rare Fords from the '30s that people would have paid huge bucks for if he'd have just put them in the Plain Dealer. '32 B400...'30 Vicky...Boy, and if it was a Packard, Caddy, or something really rare like a Hupmobile or fill-in-the-blank, it'd have gone for more. Doesn't really matter if he really had one or not. Just lead him on a little.

Some people like to have a story...We've all met them. They LOVE the fact that they destroyed something old. I heard a guy tell a story about a wardrobe that was in an upstairs bedroom on the family farmhouse, that was at least 100 years old, that he "cut it up with a saw to get it out of the room, and it went on the burn pile." He was a distant cousin related by marriage, and told the story while we were cleaning out a relative's estate. Knew another guy that told me how he cut up 3 '57 Chevys, and even cut through the frames with a torch, so nobody could have them.
    I'm sick of those people and their stories. From now, anyone who tells me a story like that is going to hear that their car was probably one of the really rare ones, "just like the one that went on Ebay about six months ago--total basket case, but they were really rare, you know? Like a '53 Buick Skylark. Some rich guy paid $40 grand for it, but I wouldn't have given $400. But hey, a rare car is worth a ton of money to the right rich guy. Too bad you didn't advertise it before hauling it away. A little patience and an ad in the local paper or online could have gotten you a ton of money!" Fuck them and their stories. I want them to live with the fact that they might have scrapped out $50 grand worth of cars their dad/grandpa/uncle had collected over the years, and they only got beer money for it.

I've got family in Toledo and Cleveland...if you come across a '57/'58 Chrysler 354 Poly engine, or ANY Chevy W engine, I'd like to know about it.

Thanks,
    Brad

13. I'm looking for an early 50's GM limo rear window assy with 3" of metal around it for my Caddy

14. luckydevil

luckydevil

He did say 3 of the cars he scrapped had brass radiators and one of them said Cadillac. I don't think he is just telling a story. I'm sure he really scrapped the stuff. I'm an antique dealer & he answered one of my ads in the paper to buy antiques. I bought some from him(furniture & junk) & asked if there were any cars, bikes, boats etc & he told me how he just scrapped all that stuff but that there was more out in the field. He is not into cars at all. When I told him the value of what he may have scrapped he about cried. I don't think his story is BS I think he is just ignorant about cars.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Lucky,
    Whats that ford rim and hubcap attached to??????
    How many cars are there? If I dont go maybe I can scare up a coule other Hambers to go along. Where is it exactly? pj

16. luckydevil

luckydevil

Hey Brad54 what is a Chevy W engine? I have a 354 Chrysler Hemi in my garage.

17. luckydevil

luckydevil

I don't know what it is attacthed to I haven't seen anyting in person yet, but it says ford V8 so it might be something good. I have no idea how many cars. I should no more tomorrow. This is in Ashtabula.

18. Clark

Clark

That one pic looks like a 33/34 ford car. I could really use door latches. Garnish would be a good sellable item if still good. Looks pretty bad. Check the Olds' and Caddies for air cleaners. Pontiac trim...all good stuff.
    Clark

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

PM Me when you find more out tomorrow.
    I'll let you know if anyone can go along.
    We will have a trailer if we can make it.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Clark your teasing me you Sanford you. We'll bring along this list.

21. Clark

Clark

I just need the latches. The rest is just some of the things I see you may find. Also looks like a mid fifties F100 in the one pic.

I know we'd have fun there!
    Clark

22. 1949 chevrolet fleetline parts, quarterpanels, passengerdoor, glass all around, front seat or buckets from anouther vehicle

23. luckydevil

luckydevil

I wouldn't count on any of the sheetmetal being any good. Outside in Ohio = major rust. Glass & seat is a possibility.

24. thatcher

thatcher

buick special windshield55

25. luckydevil

luckydevil

Yea I figured on grabbing all the trim, hood ornaments, batwing air cleaners, steering wheels. good grills, any grill shells, head lights, tail lights, column drops, guages, anything I can get off easily that might be worth something to someone. I'd like to have that Caddy engine but I don't know about pulling it in the middle of a field. Fun, Fun, Fun!!

26. Clark

Clark

I think the first place I'd go is the barn. I can see a nice 32 shell hanging on the wall :)
    Clark

27. hotdamn

hotdamn

a chevy w motor is either a 348 or a 409.
    they are the ones with the funny w or m (depends on how you look at them) valve covers.

28. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

if you see any 3 or 5 window '32 fords get back at me! ill take one or two!

29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I'd be interested in all the Pontiac hood ornaments

30. luckydevil

luckydevil

OK I know what a 348 & 409 is I just never heard them called W motors.