Register now to get rid of these ads!

problem with a sbc fuel pump push rod-bent????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Mar 28, 2007.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Got this friend that changed the fuel pump on his small block Chevy (350) and forgot about the push rod. According to him, he installed the new pump and cranked down the bolts until the pump broke. That was when he remembered about the push rod. He believes the push rod is bent and/or wedged in the block. Says it won't move up or down and won't turn. I'm going to look at it tomorrow night, but am looking for possible sugestions to "fix" the problem. The motor is still in the car (69 Camaro) and is a recent rebuild. He would rather not have to pull the motor, would go with an electric pump before that. (also looking for electric fuel pump recomendations).
    Any one have some ideas?
    Gene

2. gpgparker

gpgparker

Check for a bolt on front of engine. Place for one to hold pushrod from falling out.
    GP

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

X2

Take 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the bolt he's got in that hole

4. Slonaker

Slonaker

It might be held in by some crud. It is a pretty sturdy little piece, and I can't imagine the fuel pump being able to bend it.

Slonaker

5. Kurt

Kurt

I doubt he bend the rod, there tough as hell. They can slide down and wedge themselves in. Pull the plate off the block and push the rod up and hold it in place with a bolt, install new pump.

6. john56h

john56h

Yeah...it probably slid down and he didn't notice. Then he installed the pump with the arm on top of the rod instead of the rod resting against the pump arm.

Sometimes some thick grease will help hold it up onto the cam lobe while the pump is installed.

If it is bent, it could have been bent ot burred by a long bolt being intsalled in the front motor mount bolt hole.

7. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I recently used the grease trick on one. Put the grease in the freezer over night to get it good and thick. Axle grease is what I used. Didn't work worth a damn. Just had to mess with it awhile and hold your tongue just right. I couldn't find any bolt hole at the front of the engine that looked right. That rod is pretty heavy duty. I can see the aluminum of the pump breaking before you'd bend the push rod.

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I didn't really think the rod would have bent, thought it was a hardened rod, but its been a few years since I did much messing around with Chevy motors. Kinda was hoping some of you guys would say the same thing about the rod probably not being bent. Just didn't make any sence to me either. Thanks guys. If something strange has happened, I'll let you know tomorrow night. Gene

9. if it's bent , pull it out and install a new one, they are cheap...Napa # 610-1181 or autozone # 03875

10. Shane Hauser

Shane Hauser

How do you remove the push rod? Mine is definately bent. Please Help!

11. ...remove the outer plate.....
    To hold it up hand tighten a 3/8 bolt into the front hole.....
    pushrod hole.jpg

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Take the bolts off the cover in back of the fuel pump and pull it out.

13. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I had one stuck so bad I finally had to resort to welding a link of chain on the bottom end to yank it out with. Usually they will come out long before getting to that point. Good luck.

14. stimpy

stimpy

never seen one bent as they are solid and case hardened , but I have seen a racing one that was hollow and collapsed the tube ( had to drill the remains out with a cobalt bit as it locked the cam in place and ruined it ) , see if the bolt is tightened too much ( I remove them completely then position the rod then finger tight it then remove the bolt and replace it with a allen cap to seal the hole ) or try to see if it spins if it doesn't it has a burr on it ( from playing magilla gorilla when they tightened it down or the bolt was rubbing on it ) , if he turned the motor over with the bolt tightened you can damage the riding surface on the cam as its softer .