Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roundup Bound! 29' Roadster Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad S., Mar 28, 2007.

1. Brad S.

Brad S.

Damn.

I think we have all our ducks in a row on this one.
    Just a few odds and ends and here and theres to get done but overall she's road worthy.

Picked it up February 6th.

[​IMG]

Stripped it down.
    Went through the top end and had it checked.
    Cleaned and painted the engine after it was bolted back up.
    Chopped the windshield frame and stanchions 3". It's ugly and will have to be redone. Sturdy....just ugly.

New headlights.
    New(ish) grill. Changed it to a 30' since I got it for $10.
    Made some basic interior. (Thanks Dreadman for that excellent tech article.)
    New dash with some brand spanking new S&W gauges.

Trying to save the steering wheel but i fear it's too far gone.
    Need some exhaust work but the short straight pipes will get us through.

Still lots to do and its no where near finished yet but its good enough to get me to Austin.

Now I hope the weather cooperates. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looks alot better, but that axle looks awful thin!

3. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Looks much better, hope the rain stays away or comes early enough for ya...good luck!

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Looks 110% better!!!!

5. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Looks alot better, but I would second the concern over the axel.
    I would urge you NOT to run that axel as there is not nearly enough webbing to keep it from twisting and possibly failing catastrophically. Please do yourself and everone in your familly a favor a get a new axel ASAP.
    Not trying to give ya' a hard time, just looking out for ya'.

6. jspencer916

jspencer916

A whole world of difference. I think you would have heard some snickers behind your back had you showed up with it the way you found it.

You got good taste. I'm interested to see what you pick up for it in Austin and what you do to it when you get back.

Enjoy it out there.

7. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

It's amazing how a few little things can make a car 'right':D

8. Brad S.

Brad S.

Let's see...

The '68 307 SBC runs good and strong and unless I come up with a different or unique motor, it will stay right where it is. I had planned on building a strong 350 for it but now I'm not so sure unless something catastrophic happens to this one.

The car wasn't in bad shape when I got it. Not at all. The picture I posted of it just doesn't put it in the "right light".

I am swapping the axel at some point this summer.

I have a complete hood and hood sides for it. It's short about 3" but who isn't. Gotta figure something out because I would like to run hood sides. This task will probably have to be farmed out. I really don't think I have the metal skills for this one. It has to look right you know.

I intend to use the following wheels with some Firestone dirt track tires from Coker.

Front: 5.00 15s on 5"
    Rear: 8.90 16s on 7"

When its all said and done...I want to get it painted the dark blue/black seen on the Vought F4U Corsairs from time to time. I actually want it a shade darker. Almost black but not.

Anyway....

9. Marc Dee

Marc Dee

What kinda headlights were on there before?

10. Brad S.

Brad S.

I think they were 36' Chevrolet headlights with no trim rings. A housing had been made for each one on top so a blinker could be installed. Unique enough that I'm keeping them to make wall lights or something for my office or garage.

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

You changed the grille, but not the axle?? looks a little questionable to me?? Car looks a lot better though, nice job!!

12. Muttley

Muttley

That axle looks like a cool piece of garage art, not something I would have anywhere near a running/driving car. Looks like you are doing a nice job of saving the roadster from rat rod purgatory...................keep up the good work and swap out the radials when time/money permits.

13. Big Tony

Big Tony

Right on man, mucho grab-assio bettero

14. bigken

bigken

PLEASE tell me your gonna run the 'pro-mod' bug catcher thingy. That is TIGHT.......... :D

It looks fantastic, can't wait to see it this weekend. Bring a raincoat..