Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roth's Orange '55 Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Anyone have any shots of Roth's orange '55 Chevy? I've got a few shots in an Andy Southerland book, but my scanner is down and I really want to show buzzard the car...

What you fellas got?

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

someone has got to have something...

3. here you go- there a post someplace about the current owner of this car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Here's the only color shot I could find quickly.

Mick

Attached Files:

crazybob likes this.

5. But not quickly enough!

Mick

6. swimeasy

swimeasy

Man, I love those shots of those early studios! I can picture Roth and Dirty Dave working all hours then.

7. one of my favorite roth cars. Ah! I remember I was at the Petersen and the Rat Fink movie was playing, in the movie it seem the found the current owner or something rather.

8. cbreezer

cbreezer

I believe it had a Ford engine engine if I'm not mistaken.

9. Anderson

Anderson

yup. had a 390 left over from the mysterion.

10. Mike

Mike

Best Roth car ever. Bitchin'!

11. Ford motor in a Chevy, now I am fully converted in to a Roth fan for life!

-Brent- likes this.
  12. mikes51

mikes51

They say it's the first thing to go, but I could swear I remember that car in bright yellow paint. It was sitting outside the door of the Oakland Coliseum. Inside Roth was showing the Yellow Fang. I thought the 55 was the tow car because it had the same color paint as the dragster. The 55 upper dash was covered with a collage of Green Stamps. Ring a bell with anyone?

13. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Rumor has it that it had a HEMI in it at some point?

Thanks for the pics, guys. Can't believe I don't think I've ever seen this car.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... Franco is right on that one... In the book I have the caption mentions the Hemi inside...

15. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Yeah, I figured Franco was right on the HEMI. I'm just wondering if it had a 390, then a 426? Did Roth just have a thing against Chevy motors?:confused:

I love hanging out with Franco. He's the coolest and he's got great stories.

16. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

When I was a kid we lived a couple blocks from Roth's shop in Maywood. Anyway I'd go over there every now and then and hang out and I vaguely remember that Chevy and I remember it in yellow with a "Powered By Ford" lettered across the deck lid. That was about 44/45 years ago so I could be mistaken on some points.

17. Here's some shots from a book I stole from school many years ago, still have it!

Attached Files:

18. Shane T.

Shane T.

I'll take heat for this one but that looks like ass. If it did have a Ford motor in it that makes it worse, now the hemi would be cool.
    Shane T

19. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

In kit form..........

[​IMG]

20. extremist

extremist

Like it except for the rear fender wheel openings. They're wrong to my eyes... the first thing I noticed. I guess it would look fine with the cheater slicks listed on the poop sheet.

21. 390Power

390Power
    from Oregon

that edelbrock scoop that that book says it had sure looks like a offenhauser scoop

22. slammed

slammed

Roth score's again. The cut wheel well's are part of the era.......gasser-esqe that plain get's it.

23. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Not much to look at really. Seen a million other 55's that looked a lot better. Bet she ran well with Ford power though!

24. Jim in STL

Jim in STL

Well, I’m confused. Please, somebody straighten me out. If this thing had a 406 Ford per the article it would have to be the ‘60s. If the Ford was replaced by a hemi from a new Chrysler (not Dodge or Plymouth it has to be in ’58 or earlier

If the Ford was really a 390 in the late ‘50s that would match the white wall tires but make it an A/Gas car. Running a 390 in a class full of hemi Willys and super-mouse Anglea and Austins would have been like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Why bother?

Can some one run through the real time line on this 55

25. raven

raven

I would guess that i had to be int he 60's. The 390 was introduced in the early 60's sometime and the Chrysler would have been a 426 later.
    r

26. no he just really had a thing for free stuff

-Brent- likes this.
  27. WeedsSpeed

WeedsSpeed
    from Kansas

If you read the roth book he said he loved the chevy engine, but the trannys were junk also like already stated he loved free stuff and for the mysterion build ford donated 3 390's and tranny's hence ford in a chevy. He actually lied and said they were 429.

28. yeah I got the same book...read close it's got a 406 in it KOOL!!!!

29. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

I have to say, I rate that one up there with the Two Lane Blacktop '55. Cooler because it's REALLY someone's car and has non-Chevy power. Bet he rarely washed it, just drove the shit out of it!

It has become one of my favorite Tri-fives..and I never knew about it until now (I'm not a huge Roth fan except for the T-shirts I had as a kid).