Register now to get rid of these ads!

Solvent-Based Paints Prohibited in 2008?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aeroman, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Aeroman

Aeroman

I am getting conflicting information about being able to buy solvent-based paints in the future (2008). Whats the deal? Water-based are now replacing them????

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Where did you hear that?

3. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

He lives with all the tree hugging hippies in Cali :D. I don't think your info is right man. That would be a HUGE step but California has done some dumb shit in the past so you may be right but I highly doubt it. It would be all over the news, and most water base paints are horrible and don't last long at all. That's why no one uses them. I'm sure over time they will get better and maybe one day they will make a decent product but as of right now I don't know of any.

4. The Bad news is that it's probably on the way. In Ontario Canada public sale of paint products for automotive use is strictly water-based and ya most of the products BLOW!!!! Can't stand any of the base clear products, I have only had good exerience with the two part acrylic urethanes. Once again Big Brother knows best!!

5. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

Water based paints will be phazed into U.S. law in 2008 replacing Solvent based paints.Manufacturers will quit selling Solvent based paints in June 2008 and distributors have 6 months to deplete inventories.So as of January 2009 all paint sold in the U.S. will be Water based only.

6. Svenny

Svenny

Whaaaaaaaaaa?????????????????????????

This can't be right.

7. scarylarry

scarylarry

Once again...where is that information from?????

8. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

guess it's time to start stocking up on the good shit. First they take away our lead and chrome from our epoxy primers. now this $7*T! oh well. cars can rust faster. I'll start shooting lacquer!!! YEA BABY!! :)

9. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

Unfortunately the information is correct.All the major paint manufacturers are holding workshops to inform the body shops and instructing them on proper techniques.This is a result of legislation by the EPA.If you want to verify,call any major paint distributor.

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

This may be true!:( I had heard a few years back that a time would come where you wouldn't be able to buy car paint unless you are a licensed (by the Gov't) paint shop. Seems that the reasoning is that the licensed paint shops will have air filtering systems that "clean" the air of paint particles unlike a guy down the block that shoots a hot rod in his garage (us). Uh, is this part of the homeland security package? You'll be a criminal in the future, in the United States of America, if you shoot your hot rod in your garage.:( :mad: Didn't we used to read about this kinda shit back in the 60's...as in sci-fi future crap? Bet you thought you'd never live to see it, did ya?

11. Berky

Berky

I asked my local paint store and they told me the same thing. In 2008 the only paint that will be sold is water based. I hope this shit holds up better than the older versions.

12. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

13. indyjps

indyjps

so how long can current paints be stored before going bad. think all the old solvent paint will be on sale??

14. plw

plw

15. T.R.C.

T.R.C.

I will ask my paint rep. at work and see if he has heard anything and yes waterbase sucks ass. I know of a few dealerships have tried it and said hell no and never looked back, but I will look intoit also.

16. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Good question. What is the shelf life of da paints? I was told that my DP90 sitting here on the table has a short shelf life but nobody knew how long it could sit. I keep turning it and shaking it every now and then. Guess I need to use it. That's another thing, I read on the HAMB the other day that DP90 ain't DP90 anymore, it's DP90LF and sure as shit if the can isn't marked DP90LF...SHIT again! WTF is next?

17. vette man

vette man

When is the big eartquake that is to drop Cali into the pacific?

18. vette man

vette man

I my Martin Senour Rep. He better not be going on the road on any of my sales calls in the near future!! (im a NAPA salesman)

19. vette man

vette man

I e-mailed him duh!

20. vette man

vette man

I here ya there brother!!

21. Terry

Terry

I've heard the same rumors, as well as hearing John Deere can no longer sell Blitz black in Cali. I bought 4 gallons last week.

Even if I don't use it on anything after I shoot the 54, it makes a great chassis paint.

22. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

I;m a painting contractor or as I like to say " a structural pigmentologist" and the phasing out of oil based stains and paints to water based products is in full swing right now in my industry.

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The June 2007 Rod & Custom has an article about this, and there is a FAQ page on the EPA website.

www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/area/auto/autobody_refinishing_faq_12-30-05.pdf

If anyone actually takes the time to read this, instead of quoting Joe Blow down at NAPA, they'll find out the actual facts.

It's interesting to me, if all solvent-based paints are going to be phased out next year, why Dupli-Color just came out with a line of lacquer-based paints in quart cans, designed to be sprayed with an HVLP gun.

Of course, the EPA FAQ page referenced above acknowledges that hobbyists don't have production shops, and they assume that a home hobbyist will either paint parts (a fender here, a door there) or up to two full cars a year at home. So the regulations won't apply to home hobbyists.

24. In Canada all base coats have to be water born by Jan 2008. I believe the same holds true for California. For now it is only base coats and does not include primers or clears. The new waterborn paints have been used in Europe for years so they should be better than the old stuff. I guess only time will tell. You do need ALOT of airflow in your booth to use them.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Water based paints don't scare me anymore, they've gotten tons better. Hell I just used water based epoxy on the floors of my new shop. Clear coat is the problem right now, but I bet they're working on it...

26. jmn444

jmn444

this is just california right? i've not heard a thing about it being country wide...

27. I seem to remember a similar concern that arose when the EPA banned the old laquer paints and the urethanes came onto the market. Trends in automotive paint technology have always been initiated in the european market. They are usually useing the new products we get here for several years. One major issue with current waterbourne is the surface being painted needs to be super clean . The slightest fingerprint or contamination can result in a strip and refinish before you complete. Hopefully they can solve these problems before the deadline.
    Change is an inevitble part of life .How we adapt to and accept change speaks volumes about us.

28. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

II heard abou tthis too. There was a quick little article about it in one of my wife's VW magazines. probably 8 months ago. Basically they were trying to keep everyone who wasnt a licenses shop from being able to buy paint. If you wanted your car painted you had to take it to a shop. They also mentioned that they planned to make it mandatory how many "Employees" you had in your shop so we all couldnt just claim to be a paint shop. And I vaguely remeber that the council of Auto body workers backed it- Duh of course they would- more biz for them. They were claiming it was dangerous and should be controlled like R112 for A/C. Dont know if anything progessed on it but..........

Also BMW here in SC uses Waterbased paint on all the X5s and Z4s. of course they have the expensive equipment to make it work...

29. Terry

Terry

I don't know, I just don't trust any of it.

In 97 my wife bought a Dodge new, we ordered a snug top the same week. It came from Cali and was water based. It pealed in about a 2 years, but then the truck pealed in about 4 years too.

I look around and it seems alot of cars between 4 and 5 years with base coat clear coat are chalky and or pealing.

I might add We have temps around the 100 degree mark all summer here. And with our West Texas wind is known for eating paint jobs.

But is still enough to scare me away from ever useing the stuff, or buying a car I know the paint will be crap before I get it paid off.

30. Retrorod

Retrorod

We have to use low VOC (volitile organic compound) or NO VOC paint here. In fact our body shop has to keep a record of purchases and usage so the local EPA rep can come in and check on us. The paint booths are regularly inspected as well as the breathing equipment and even the paint gun cleaning sink. It's worse than you could imagine. In our service department we can't use anything but aqueous based cleaners (no solvent) and we are restricted to even what kind of rattle can chemicals we purchase and use. Hell, I tried for several months get buy a gallon of Blitz black and I was told by a John Deere dealer that the only way I could get it would be to go out of state and smuggle it back in across state lines. I never thought it would get to this point. If I were to paint my car in my own garage, I could go to jail unless I was using "compliant materials"........and then they'd probably nail me for something else anyway.