Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Banger trans swap.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've been wanting to do a trans swap for the coupe for a while. The stock A trans and I have never really got along, so as I was pulling the banger for new valves and to sort the rear main oil leak I thought I could also have a look at the trans. I didn't want to go the regular route of using a V8 trans as they aren't getting any cheaper and I wanted to work to a budget (for once….. ) I also like the idea of four speeds….
    This what I came up with...
    [​IMG]
    The trans is a Volvo M40 from a '66 Volvo Amazon I used to own. They are just slightly longer than the stock A trans and are a very easy trans to adapt to a banger.

I started off with a AA truck bellhousing. The AA 'housing is two inches shallower than the regular bellhousing and allows more modern transmissions to place their clutch splines in the right place. The AA item just needed a small relief machining into the mounting face with a hand grinder - as can be seen here - to clear a lumpy bit on the Volvo 'box.
    [​IMG]

The next thing to do was centre the trans to the bellhousing, and this was the easiest part of the job. I machined up a ring to fit into the bellhousing with an internal bore that matches to size of the input shaft housing on the trans.
    The ring...
    [​IMG]

The ring in place on the trans...
    [​IMG]

...and the ring locating the trans to the centre of the bellhousing.
    [​IMG]

All that was needed then was drill and tap the bellhousing to pick up the original lug holes in the Volvo trans, and then to shorten the tip of the input shaft by 10mm so that it wouldn't bottom out on the end of the crank.

With the flywheel housing bolted on I was able to mock it up on its rear engine mounts and blocks of wood to see how it would sit within the cab...
    [​IMG]
    I'm very happy with the positioning as the shifter will come through the floor only about three inches further back than a stocker

I’ve redrilled the already-lightened flywheel to accept the Volvo clutch assembly, and adapted the Swedish release bearing to the A clutch fork so that I can use all the stock pedal assembly. It's all gone together quite well. A small bronze bush was required for the spigot bearing and a new emergency brake mount was needed, as these bolt to the side of the trans in a stocker. All pretty basic stuff, to be honest. A fairly major stumbling-block may be the conversion to open drive, but I already have a quick-change rear-end, so a kit from the Hot Rod Works made that job a real breeze.

The ratios for this trans are 3.13-1, 1.99-1, 1.36-1 & 1-1. First, second and top are almost identical to stock A, so the M40 is putting an extra ratio between second and top in comparison. They are plenty strong and get used by some of the V8 guys in kitcars over here, not to mention the rallying that Volvo themselves did with the Amazon in the '60's. There's even a version with an overdrive available, though that would need some x-member work on an A.

Here’s how the whole lot looks together just before installation….
    [​IMG]
    It’s back in the coupe now…..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really looking forward to giving this a test. I've just got to finish off the rear axle relocation (no torque tube....) and have a drvieshaft made up and it'll be pretty much ready to go.

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

nice job,
    would it be possible to adapt a torque tube set-up to the back of the transmission?
    i dont know what kind of shaft is coming out of there...but with those bolts on the rear it seems it may be possible to put a cup on there for the tube?
    also how available are these transmissions?
    Zach

3. jetmek

jetmek

looks pretty slick...just about anything is better than the ol doubleclutch tractor trans they came with.

4. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I reckon it may have been possible to adapt the trans for a torque tube, but I think that would've pushed the job further and further back. I also like the idea of - one day - fitting the M41 trans, which is the same 'box but with a Laycock OD at the rear, then shortening a driveshaft is far easier than doing the same to a torque tube. This would also require the body coming off, to sort out the chassis mods needed.
    Forgot to mention, I don't know how available these trans are in the US, but they fetch next to no money over here as most folk want the M41 with the OD. I already had this one lying around for a little while - partly why it got used - but I've seen them sell on eBay for £5-10 ($10-20).

5. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

Hi Artiki, i like the idea alot and as You know i'm planning to do it myself, my question is how did You attach the brake and clutch pedal shaft to the clutch housing? Did You weld a bracket for the shaft like the model A housing has? Any pictures of that?

6. When I first saw these pics that's the first thing I thought. The back of the box seems further forward than the A one, maybe allowing an adaptor for the rear mount of a V8 box or similar? Care to measure how far forward that is from the crossmember for us, m'dear? Or how far back from the back of the block?

Just happen to know where there's a couple of AA bellhousings!

7. How does your conversion compare to Chris hosepipes?

I think he's running the overdrive version though.

8. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I'll have a measure tomorrow and let you know. I think a torque tube could possibly be made to fit, though the bolts at the rear of the Volvo trans aren't really up to doing much more than they do already. A torque tube would put a lot more stress on the 'box in that area. I think.

I've not had a look at Chris' conversion, Clark. I'd heard that he'd done it, but he only ever brings his speedster out to play these days! I would like to compare and contrast though.

Thor, hello again. For the pedal shaft, I made a bracket to hold the shaft in the right place and that bracket is held in place by the same bolts that join the 'box to the bellhousing. I then made another bracket for the other end of the shaft, that goes on after the pedals are in place to prevent any flexing when depressing the pedals. It seems to work quite well, though of course, it hasn't been used in anger yet. I'll try and get a photo sorted for you.

9. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

Thanks Artiki! I enlarged You picture and found out that You must have done it that way. Looks great! 4 gears and fully syncronized, what else can You wish. A picture of the bracket would be perfect, Artiki.

skip65 likes this.
  10. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I used a 1987 F-150 overdrive transmission in my 31 coupe. First second and third have the same ratios as the original transmission but I have the advantage of 27% overdrive.
    It bolts to the torque tube and uses the original speedometer drive.
    The fully synchronised gears are a joy to operate and overdrive allows me to cruise 15 MPH faster than before.

11. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

It bolts to the tt ??
    Can you post some pics???
    Michael

12. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

I can tell You that chrisntx set up is a he** of a nice conversion. Looks very good! And simple. He helped me a lot with pics and a very easy understanding manual. My biggest problem was to find the -87 F-150 trans to a resonable price in Sweden due, so Artikis idea with a Volvo trans suited me better. $40 felt better then $400 for me but both ideas are great.

13. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Nice on, ive been trying to do a similar thing for the V8 Flathead,but the splined shaft is to short. Have not found the right part's yeat.

14. Jalopy-Phil

Jalopy-Phil

Does any one have any info on this type of swap?

15. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Ask on Ahooga.com. There're a few guys on there that have one fitted. I think there's a guy in CA that converts them to fit the A.

16. Jalopy-Phil

Jalopy-Phil

[FONT=&quot]

Thanks Artiki. I would go with the Volvo, but I am not sure about availability over here(still looking in to it). That ahooga board isn't very 'search' friendly. Great tech post.[/FONT]

17. Rand Man

Rand Man

Artiki, Are you planning to convert a Model A rear to open drive? Chris, was that a Model A rear and tube?

18. I dunno guys. There are 2 old damn Amazons in my driveway and I passed up 2 more in the last year. They can't be that rare. Check Craig's list and E-&@%.

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Yep, converted to open drive. I bought a kit from the Hot Rod Works and can't praise it enough. I wish the rest of the swap had been that easy :cool:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been at VLV!

20. Hi Artiki!
    Nice work! :D And Volvo garanteed the work of the Amazon, if it had up too 150hp, if it got a two circuit brakesystem, and I know of guys putting the 215cui Rover (Buick) V8 in the Amazon with the original M40 or M41 gearbox. And the P1800 is (or at least, was in 1998) the car, who had droven the longest - 2 mill miles! - without any bigger restauration, so the box should be able to do the job! :cool:
    Now I woun't hessitate to put one in my A... ;)

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

21. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

A thread back from the dead. Cool!
    Cheers, Dannerr. Thanks for the comments. The trans has performed faultlessly in the year since fitting, and having four well-spaced speeds and synchro on all of 'em has really livened the banger up.
    The strength of the trans is not in question, either. I know of far more powerful engines than mine running an M40 with no problems. I run a quick-change in the Model A rear but I still fancy the idea of swapping the M40 out for an M41 with an OD. I reckon that'd be REAL fun!

22. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Great Tech !! and a much needed swap on the A's:D.
    I wish our boneyards have such a trans in the USA. That looks like a perfect trans for a flatty as well.
    What we do have is the one Phil is talking about out of a F-150. The problem is the main shaft has to be changed. I have one in a early bronco and the OD helps big time.

On the 66 Volvo Amazon how much longer is the OD trans and did this trans come in any other cars?
    thanks

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Hi John :)

At a guess I would say that the OD adds another 12" - possibly a little more - to the back of the trans, enough to mean work on the centre x-member of an A chassis.

These Volvo's certainly made their way over the Atlantic but I'm not sure how many. They were certainly very popular over here in Europe though, they have an excellent record for reliability and durability.

24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Darren, they seem to crush anything old at the boneyards now with the high scrap prices.
    I have been working on a trans adapter for the 39 Ford trans to model A rearend. It's not really a adapter but more of a spacer so the motor is moved up and no need to cut the firewall. So you can put the V-8 flathead ,32 trans and model A rearend with out too much mods..

Attached Files:

25. Mart

Mart

Hey, Dannerr, thanks for posting those pics.
    Do you think that M41 gearbox can be used in a 32 with a stock uncut k-member?
    Interesting..
    Mart.

26. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

What you thinking, Mart?

27. woodyford

woodyford
    from Sweden

Hello

It is a M 46 with overdrive in that car

28. Pierre H

Pierre H
    from france

Hello all of you
    I'm planing to follow the "Artiki guide to neat and clean trans swap" but does anyone try to adapt the all volvo trans including bellhousing and hydrolic clutch ??
    Or is it too much work/troubles ?
    Does anyone know if the M46 gearbox have a stock "short shifter" or you need to make some change or make your own shifter ?
    I know that the M40/M41 comes with 2 types of shifter but what about the M46 ????
    thanks
    Pierre

29. Really? Do you know the builder?? :)