Register now to get rid of these ads!

so what brakes did i get, f1 or f100??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dezaster, Mar 24, 2007.

1. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

i just bought this setup to fit to my A. i bought a complete wheel to wheel front axle beam with new shoes, slave cyls and wheel bearings, supposedly from a '53 f100. it did come off one cos i saw the truck, but if its original is another question.

now as far as i know, f100 kingpins are larger and dont fit model A axles, but this setup i have slotted straight on. so is it all off an f1, or just an oddball crossover f100??? it all fitted straight back up to the 4" drop VCW beam in the last pic.

heres the pics-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

measure the distance between the kingpins. f-1 is "50.75 . while the f-100 will be "53.75. thats what i used to determine what mine was. i hope this helps you. i have f-1 and my hubs look different than yours.

3. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Looks kinda F-1ish to me based on the rise in the center of the drum.

4. yekoms

yekoms

They look just like my '51 F-1 brakes. I don't know the difference between F -1 and F-100. Maybe from your post I will learn the difference.
    On the back of my backing plates there is : KH 31894 and KH 31895. Have fun,Smokey

5. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

[​IMG]

The '53-'56 axles are easy to identify because of the way they drop down in the center.

Dave Mann
    (602) 233-8400
    http://www.roadsters.com/

6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I can't sepeak for the F-1 but I have a 53, a 54, and a 56 F-100 and those spindles and brakes look just like mine. I have quite a bit of documentation that I could check to get more info but it sounds like you're good to go with what you have.

7. Tin Can

Tin Can

I have a wheel to wheel front end out of a 53 ford truck also. It looks like I can use the spindles off of this setup on my model a when I get a dropped axle, is this true? Did you have to do any modifications to make the spindles work on the dropped axle? I have bought a set of 48 ford spindles but if I can use the spindles off of the truck axle that would be awsome, I could sell the spindles and afford to get my axle dropped.

8. f-1 and f-100 backing plates are the same...but f-1 and f-100 drums/hubs are different

one last time-----those are f-1

9. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

ive just been out and measured KPC-KPC, 53-3/4", and the axle drops in the centre, so its an f100 axle. the kingpins definately havent been sleeved or rebushed on the axle though, so it appears early f100s may have had a mix of f100 and f1 parts, looks like the brakes and spindles were carried over from the f1 for a short while, as it seems 36-3 window is certain theyre f1, and he does seem to know what hes talking about!!

either way, its a bit of a scrore for me as its saved me 100+ on a good set of 42-48 spindles :D

10. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

i have done absolutely no modifications. unbolted the setup off the f100 axle, slotted it onto the vcw 4" dropped beam. itll need a couple of thin shims to take up a little up and down play at the kingpin, or that may go when i replace the thrust bearing and rebush the spindles as theyre a little worn. ive not even modified or removed the steering arms, they fit around everything nicely(but the draglink arm may hit the shackle if youre running spring-above, im going for spring behind so im ok), and the steering stop srcews on the arms hit the axle squarely on the raised web, so i think i might leave them on.

11. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

heres some more pics of the setup guys.

axle i removed the brakes and spindles from, showing its a dropped centre f100, and the ends havent been sleeved down for the smaller kingpin-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

spindles and brakes fitted to dropped axle-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

steering stops operate correctly-
    [​IMG]

shots of where the draglink arm sits-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tin Can

Tin Can

sweet, thanks for the info. I have to save up some doe to get my axle dropped or buy one and Ill have to try this out.

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thats very cool! Supposedly doesn't fit...

Have a picture of your early Ford axle with both F100 spindles and tires attached, from about 20 feet out in the front of the car?
    The Camber is supposed to be different as well on the F100 spindles so I'm wondering how yours looks with the full swap to the pre 49 axle.

Fingers crossed that its fine as I have the same setup to use IF it fits...even has new bushings and pins installed! MY luck, mine will be the wrong size and angle...:( :)

14. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Good score, but check the prices on F-1 drums -- $$$$
    Hopefully yours are good

15. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

camber is 4deg.

yeah, the drums are good, thankfully!!

16. Tin Can

Tin Can

so is there an issue with the camber angle to use these on a dropped axle or not?