Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowered my 49' Chevy. Check er' out.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moloko, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Moloko

Moloko

Yeah, so my project over the last few days was lowering this car. I'm almost done, and about to go work on it again. I need to put new rear shocks on, re-attach the exhaust, change the oil, and weld something in the throttle linkage.

Here is the "before" for reference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First I started with these 3'' lowering blocks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because the springs are so narrow, I had to use a carbide bit and "oval" out the plate under the springs so the bolts would fit.

Then last night I chopped the front springs 1.5 coils. Was pretty straight-forward. I also changed the ORIGINAL SHOCKS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Moloko

Moloko

So here is the final result:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

yeah zima and a too mild lowering job have me questionin ya man,...

wow...

do you have a nice doily for a seat cover picked out as well?

6. Moloko

Moloko

Friends garage... not mine. Blame him for the Zima. :D

And yes, my rear seat cozy is almost done being knit by my grandma.

7. mandov123

mandov123

damn zima!!! come on get some lone star beer man !!

8. Make it a 4" block, cut another full coil, and get your friend some real beer!

Just busting your balls, man, looks awesome, but get some real beer, seriously.:D

9. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Hot enough for the hula girl to start to loose her skirt. If you'd have had some real beer, she might have gone the whole way!

Put it in the same spot as the 'before' pic to show how it really looks. I've got some coils to cut for my car as well, I like it. I don't care for the slots in the plate, though, lots of stress on those things when you are going down the road or am I wrong?

10. I don't know if you guys noticed but the coolest thing about the pics is when they were taken!
    Keep up the good work. You're off to a great start.

BloodyKnuckles

BTW...Go smash that Zima bottle off your "friend's" head!

11. jspencer916

jspencer916

So how much drop did you actually end up with? I just picked up a '49 Fleetline that I need to put on its ass, but with no time or money for dropped uprights or air bags, I want to see how much drop I can get with just springs and blocks. Also, how much clearance do you have left til you hit the bump stops?

Thanks

If anyone else has any other cheap lowering tips for these, throw them on here.

12. I do my best work after midnight. Apparently, so do these chaps.

13. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...yeah...two years ago!!!:D

(Probably took that long to choke down the Zima!!!:p )

14. 13fox

13fox
    from SLC, UT

What shocks are you going to use in the rear?

15. Those bump stops are plenty big. You can cut an inch or so off of them to get a little more room.

16. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

Looking good.....keep up the good work......stan

17. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

Zima? I'm a bartender and seriously, Zima?!?!?!?

18. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

The work looks great and and she looks way better sitting where she is. The time is awsome, 1.30, pretty cool.

Zima isnt that bad guys geez, i consider drinking candy beers every once in a while, and look i even drink light beer to! woopdie freakin doo.

19. 53chieftian

53chieftian

My guess would be that someones camera got a new set of batteries and the date and time didnt get reset. Car looks much better lower, but I agree about what should happen with the Zima bottle!

20. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

LOL thats what i was gonna say!!! :D

21. jspencer916

jspencer916

I'm looking to cut the coils on my '49 Fleetline as much as possible and not quite ride on the bump stops.

How many inches of drop did 1 1/2 coils get you? How much more do you think you could go without jacking stuff up?

Also, is that the stock rear end? Those definitely aren't the stock spring perches. I was thinking about changing mine out so that I can run round u-bolts instead of the square ones since it's hard to find long squares.

Thanks in advance for the info.

22. take a pic in the same spot the before pic was taken. better "before and after" that way. can't really tell too good in the garage.

23. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You can use tri-5 shocks, or reference them for shorter ones if needed. see my last post.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81077

1. cut 2 coils and get 53-54 uprights for about 4" up front, more with the fatmans uprights.
    2. swapping the rear is easy, but any trailer shop or parts store worth its salt should have 1 3/4 square u-bolts, just ask. night prowlers sells em too. any 4x4 or truck "custom shop" can get them in their catalogs.

24. Gigantor

Gigantor

Zima - Warrior Princess. You're going to a be a long time livin' that down, like the time I was caught in pink panties with the neighbors dog ... anyhow - I definitely think it is an improvement - I'd try to go lower still.

25. 13fox

13fox
    from SLC, UT

26. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

Remember to start small--half a coil or so. There's a post elsewhere on the Board about someone who got 5" of drop when he expected 3". Old springs will vary in the drop. So start small, and work your way up to what you want. And don't heat them! It destroys the spring rate!

Tucker