Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about 57-60 F100s front leafs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swill67, Mar 22, 2007.

1. swill67

swill67
    from merced, ca

I have a '58 Ford F100 that as two different types of leaf springs on the front, resulting in one side being 2 inches lower. Could I go to a wrecking yard and try to find just any ol' springs that are 45" long or will only front leaf springs from a 57-60 F100 work? I know Sacramento Vintage sells new ones, would this be the better way to go? I was trying to avoid the cost of new ones. Thanks for any help.

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Hi, if you ask me, I believe in doing it once and doing it properly.
    So I suggest to buy a new pair of the correct items and fit them, I am sure you will never be happier.

To do it the other way and be sure it may work will still mean that you will need to remove both sides and take them to a spring works to have both sides set to match which will ensure that the ride will be level. Once in the spring works you could be confronted with other problems like broken or badly worn leaves and still spent good dollars just fixing old junk. Your front end carries all you engine wait and part of any load and should be in good condition.

I have a 1960 F100 custom cab and have just been getting my mallet ready for a similar peoject although I am also considering going with an independent front end which is a bigger project again if done correctly. I have not been convinced by the usually hot rod ifs suppliers that they can come up with what my truck needs since it is wider and being a truck and longer there are serious twist and torsion issues which chassis boxing ianmd extra cross members is really the only way to address it with a concience.

Regards, Russ.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

PS, I wish some folks would answer some of my posts as thorough as I have tried to answer yours.

4. Contact Industrial Chassis, Inc (HAMBer ELpolacko). Makes a Dodge Dakota-based IFS kit for our trucks. It uses actual pickup parts, not Pinto/Mustang II stuff. Mine should be arriving any day now...

5. swill67

swill67
    from merced, ca

Thanks for the input fiftyV8. I have a tendacy to want to half a$$ things to save money. I should get the new ones.