Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok American Graffitti & Hollywood Knight what else

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saoutlaws_Gotti, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

I knew I'd ruffle some feathers but just gave my opinion. I WAS around in '62...wanna check my birth certificate..:) and our hot rod scene back here in Ohio was MUCH different that American Grafitti. Read my post above.

Jan

2. ratso575

ratso575

how about crazy larry and dirty mary ?
    cool old charger , till the train smashes it !

3. blue_oval23

blue_oval23

Be careful when you go to rent Hollwood Knight, If you have the clerk look it up, make sure you tell them knight not "night" "hollywood night" is a adult film.:D

4. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i think the beach party movies where pretty cool on the whole car hot rodding theme

5. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

Does grease count? (joke)

6. Jan, I am a year older than you and grew up in West Texas and every weekend was like AG thru about 1970. I remember the burger joints, cruisin' the drag, late night racing, getting pulled over by the cops for writing A/FX on a girl's windshield, stopped for loud pipes, beer, the dances, KOMA radio from Oklahoma City, Chinese fire drills, etc. etc. It was a great time to be teenager and have a '56 Chevy w/283, 4speed, 4:11 and bucket seats.

7. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I was 18 in 1962 in S Fla and AG was as close as you could get to the action at Skippys Drive-in in N Miami. Lose the Vespa part though, no one would have ever had the stones to show up there riding a Vespa. Drinking beer in my stripout 57 Vette {engine, trans & floor was removed with a hatchet by thieves, bought from insurance co. for $500, yes $500} so you set the bottles on the ground when the cops showed. Had a 301 from a stock car in it, street racing ,bad girls, life was good. Didnt know it was as good as it got at the time.

8. MUDFLAP

MUDFLAP
    from wyoming

All of these great movies and no mention of "Blues Brothers"? Either version.

9. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

That's cool that ya'll had the experiences you've mentioned..:) By the late '60s we used to hit a drive-in up in Kent Oh. occasionally to hang out. Even by then, most of the folks were looking for some street race action with their musclecars, not playing pranks with shaving cream. But that wasn't the way it was here from 1962-'65. Please read my thread on the page linked below to read what I lived through (enjoyed too!) in a very rough eastern Ohio industrial town back then. BTW, I am done with this thread.. I think I've been thrashed thoroughly enough for not digging on A/G....:D Different strokes, ya know..:)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154975&page=6

Jan

10. I haven't read all the posts, but Redline 7000 with James Caan was a pretty good one to see as a kid in the 60's. Killer crash and race scenes if i remember right. Also, Hot Rods to Hell, and Hot Rod 1978 i think it was called with the 41 Willys and great footage from Fremont Drag Strip

11. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

what about return to macon county with nick nolte and don johnson ? they had a piss yellow 57 chevy with flames, and a home made "injection" set up on it.
    anyone remember that movie ?

12. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

in american graffiti, watch the windshield on the coupe when it comes to a stop (right before milner and carol get out to flatten the tires, and smear shaving cream on the caddys windows)..the windshield flops open.

in hot rod (with the primered willys) they steal a dual quad hemi out of a cop car, that happens to be an AMC ambassador.
    in another scene, the cop asks him to open the hood so he can check the #'s on the hemi that's in the willys. you can clearly see that the blower is polished, and it's injected. later on, when they pull the blower off to return it, the blower is now black, and it has dual quads on it.
    the steering wheel and the steering column in the willys constantly change from scene to scene.

in hollywood knights, listen real close when clark and bimbo are in the cop car arguing about music. right after clark sings lawrence of arabia, and they are yelling back & forth....you can hear michelle pfeiffer say "what the hell's the difference anyway?" she says those exact words to tony danza in the next scene when he drops her off at tubbys.
    the motor in the project x 57 was "hurt" when they raced the cobra according to hot rod mag. watch the drag race scene, and you will see little puffs of smoke, and then a big cloud of smoke come off the engine of the 57. the car drops back from the cobra a little bit when this happens.

13. I don't think anyone ment to thrash you it's just different people had different experiences. It is a big country with a lot of different folks doing different things. If you didn't experience anything like A/G then you didn't and can't be expected to identify with it. No harm.

14. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Now on DVD. season 4

15. wyoming williams

wyoming williams

Two Lane Blacktop with Dennis Wilson of BeachBoys fame and Neil Young in the "Graffiti" '55 Chevy. Terrible acting but reminds me of my travels in my "race car with license plates" '64 Chevelle with a radical BBC, so I own the DVD and watch it frequently.

16. James Taylor was the Driver, not Neil Young.

17. wyoming williams

wyoming williams

Oops! Thats Right. James Taylor Not Neil Young. Couldn't Think Of His Name Yesterday So Just Guessed.

18. ls7gto

ls7gto

suprised tht nobody mentioned the Big Jim Dunn documentry,"funny Car Summer". I seen it at a drive in when i was young, with AG ! damn I miss the drive in.

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Recently, a poll was taken to choose the "Best Summer Movie Ever", the winner, "American Graffiti". Number one in every demographic category.
    The old movies from the 40s-50s about cars "Hot Rod", The Big Wheel", "To Please a Lady", and others are great too. Simple plots, alot of "real" action in addition to studio stuff, as good as it gets.
    "The California Kid" was a great re-make of old style car movies of days gone by.
    "Bullit", well, what can you say, good story, Steve McQueen!!
    "Hollywood Knights", didn't see it until years after it was shown in theatres for 36 hours or so. Sucked in every respect except Michelle Pfeiffer. Car mags made a big deal of it before and during production, didn't mention it again after it came out. A "Porky's" clone, ugh.

20. Sorry, but Knights was in '80, Porky's was '81. Many would also disagree as far as suckiness(is that a word?), one of the best movie quotes ever, "You squirrels better have some nuts in your mouth!" Juvenile, lowbrow humor at it's finest! Can't believe it was snubbed at the Oscars.:D

21. Mart

Mart

"Speed" James Stewart driving old cars then a record attempt car at bonneville.
    "The croud roars" Jimmy Cagney racing open wheel cars on oval circuits.
    Bit dated, but worth a watch nonetheless.
    Mart.

22. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

hollywood knights rulez for all that do like the movie don't drink the punch for all that don't like it drink the punch!

23. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

hotrods to hell is entertaining

24. Kramer

Kramer

A movie that sticks in my mind, besides some already mentioned, is Vanishing Point, with Barry Newman. Early 70's as I remember

25. anyone remember a movie starring robert blake(of baretta and murder fame)called corky
    he was a wreckless stock car driver and drove a early cuda with flames customized by barris.
    he lost his ride and had to make an amazing comeback.

26. i cant believe nobody has mentioned roadracers starring david arquette and a very tight sweater wearing salma hayek.
    arquette drove a a black primered 56 chevy convertible with de soto grille teeth.
    he proceded to raise all kinds of hell.
    played chicken with cops.
    rumbled with the police chiefs asshole son.
    and then went on a revenge killing spree.

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

you should check out my site - I have the Hot Rod magazine article that listed the top car movies. - the Hot Rod Magazine list is about 1/2 way down the page

later

John Wells

www.classiccarfilms.com

28. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

29. movie was OK.Hayek was hot!

Attached Files:

30. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

8 pages of movies and not once did anybody mention "Rebel Without A Cause" (did I miss it?). It wasn't a hot rod movie per say but if you want to see what the hot rod scene was really like back in 1955 check it out.