Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rod photography, night shot follow up.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brickster, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Brickster

Brickster

Well with some of the suggestions from the previous thread I went out again tonight for some shots of the vegas skyline and my Ford. Once again I am using a Sony Digital camera 7.2 mp cyber-shot. This time I was using a tripod and had the camera set on the twilight setting with the ISO slowed down as much as possible to 100. In a few of the shots I tryed painting the car with light while the shutter was open. That is what is giving the car a little bit of a halo. The slow shutter speed is also giving the city a very neat looking glow. This is more what I was looking for the first time. Once again if you have any suggestions please let me know and I'll try them out.

Attached Files:

2. Those are pretty cool, i looked at the thread from before and these are waaay cooler.

3. BigEd

BigEd

I think you did a nice job in numbers 1,4, and 6. I like 6 because the car is coming into the picture rather than leaving it, like in 5. Number 1 reminds me of "lover's lane". I think the glow around the car in 4 works well. Keep at it.

4. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Looks good, photography is fun isnt it

5. raven

raven

Mucho better.
    I like number 5 best.
    You could use a little more shadow detail.
    r

6. Ole don

Ole don

Neat work. I like at all.

7. usmile4

usmile4

These are looking good. Having the car drive "into" the picture is the way to go but put space around the car like in # 3 and 4. Also position the car so it covers up the high tension pole. #6 is nice how you picked up some light streaks from other cars on the road. Time how long the exposre is taking...let's say its 5 seconds from shutter press to the end of the exposure. Hav esomeone lay down in the car and turn on the lights 1,2,3,&4 seconds into the exsposure...that way you will get the look of the lights but they won't be burned white and then they will match the look of the city lights. The painting with light in #4 is nice.

8. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

Don't know much about photography, but I love the car. I think any pic with a chopped shoebox is killer. Keep them coming.

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

Six is my favorite..it makes me feel a little melancholy.

10. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

You're getting better fast!:D #4 is great.

Now -- got any flamethrowers?:cool:

11. bastadical

bastadical
    from Fenton, MI

This seems backward to me... most any good digital camera should have a low ISO rating at 100 or lower, mine goes to 64... The higher the ISO, the more sensitive the image is to light and will capture more detail in darker scenes, with the downside being a loss of sharpness and in a digicam some "fuziness".

When I take night shots I generally use the highest ISO I can before getting crappy artifacting... usually around 400. If your camera has controls for this than try increasing the ISO above 100 and check your results. Also, if you can, adjusting the shutter speed will make even bigger of a difference... even 1/4 of a second is huge for night shots.

Example A is from my front porch at night, ISO 140, 1/64 second shutter, F2.7

[​IMG]

Example B is the same shit with the camera set to a 1/2 second shutter and all other setting the same.

[​IMG]

12. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

#6 is awesome! I'll take it, can you frame it as well? haha

13. ..here's one I shot with my digital in early AM...
    [​IMG]

14. Brickster

Brickster

I think your right. I don't really know what ISO is. I thought it had to do with the shutter speed. I adjusted it on my camera but now when I go back and look I'm noticing that I can't set it in the "twilight" mode so I guess I have out some bad info. Anyway I going to keep trying some different things and maybe i'll get it right.

15. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Here is a shot I took in Paso Robles 2006, it was about 10 pm and pitch black out.
    IMG_2507.jpg

16. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Im going to be the dick here, but the photos are just not that good the car is hardley visable. They could be so much better given the right equipment and the right technique.

17. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Ya but you got to find the right technique somehow, right? Normally that one good picture took many many shots before and after it. Never hurts to try,esp with digital cause you can just erase and move on. You can read all the photo books in the world but you dont really start learing till you get out there and click the shutter a few times.

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

number 5 is perfect
    I can almost hear the music on the radio

19. Brickster

Brickster

Hey guess what? You are a dick. How would you know what I was after? When I started this I wanted to capture the Vegas skyline with my car to break up the horizon. I did not want to showcase the car (it's really not that nice). Somebody mentioned a "lovers' lane" photo, and that about nails it. I'm sure you are a superior photographer and that's great. I think the photos are good and I'll continue to try some other things and possibly i'll come up with something you'll like. Untill then, piss off!

Brick

20. Brickster

Brickster

Buick59, could you please tell everyone how you captured this amazing picture.

Attached Files:

21. Hey Brickster, some pretty cool shots. I have been away from photography for a few years but the digital stuff has really caught my interest again. I hope you are getting the effects you want . Cheap flashes can produce some pretty wild effects. If the light they put out is too strong stand further back from the car or put different layers of white paper napkins or white t-shirt over the flash, this also softens shadows. Also, using different color mylar gel over the flash can produce some bitchin colors, might give it more of a Vegas theme. Not preaching just passing along some fun effects I have gotten.

22. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Well, you did post the photos here asking for suggestions. Yes, I am a dick and probably could have given you very specific pointers or suggestions,but didnt. I think your skin is too thin to bother with this thread any more. If it makes you feel better to bash me or some old photo site I have not looked at for a long time.....bash away my friend it's good therapy. Officially pissing off now.

23. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

Brickster, Here is an OT car that I experimented with Light painting on, using hand held flood lights retro fitted with soft boxes. I opened her up for about 90 sec., walked around in the frame (wearing all black) and painted the scene, making sure to never point the light at the camera. I did quickly learn to not try this technique with a black car.
    [​IMG]

24. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

Brickster: If you want to get more indepth with photogragh you should look into the Digital Canon Rebals.

25. Spike!

Spike!

Here are a couple I did that may fit your ideas...

Attached Files:

26. one way would be to take 2 photos, one long exposure to pick up the skyline then a second with a flash to pick up the car then drop them one on top of the other in photoshop.
    shutterspeed and iso are related in a way.
    iso is in reference to film speed and how fast it reacts to light striking it. im not familiar with digi but i would imagine this setting changes the way the cells react to light. by increasing the film speed you can increase the shutter speed to get the same reaction vs a slower rated film or cell setting at a given arpeture opening. photography is a lot like welding, there are so many variables and only experience will tell you what is right for any given situation. so get out there and shoot!!!

27. Neat photos with the LV skyline and the Lovers Lane theme.

We have a place here, up on a narrow ridge at the end of a dirt road, but it would be a little spooky on a - most times - windy night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you tried dinking around with your photo program vis a vis the brightness and contrast controls?

Couple years back Sweetie took a pic of me and the granddaughters in the kitchen.
    It was properly exposed, but the family room in the background was completely black.

Interesting thing with digi-cams is they capture all the information.

When I brightened up the pic, the girls and I were overexposed, but you could see the bookcases in the family room just fine.

Maybe that would help get you where you want to go with your pics although I like them as they are right now.

28. They look a lot better then the first ones. You are on the right track. Just keep playing with the settings . On most digital cameras if you use one of the speacial setting like Twilight or Action, or Portrait , etc.... you can't make changes to things like ISO and shutter speed. A lot of the digitals will have a program( Semi-automatic) setting that will let you adjust certain things while automaticly setting everything else. I use it a lot . Try doing more of the long exposure with a low ISO and then try some with as fast as an ISO you have and do some different exposure times. I would also crop out some of the forground like this. I did a little enhancement on it as well. The power pole does'nt bother me because it is so far in the background.
    [​IMG]