Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 5W Coupe Build up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Making great progress Chopperman. One comment, your crossover hose sticks out like a sore thumb with the annodized red/blue color and braided hose. They have black annodized parts that would blend in better. Just a suggestion.

2. Chopperman

Chopperman

Yup Yup... The red / blue came with the kit. You should have seen all of the polished billet adapters before I painted them. I tried to paint that x-over and it looked like crap.

I think I'll go with a couple barb fittings and some heater hose.

3. Cool, sounds like your on it. Gives me inspiration for my A project! Keep it up!

4. Chopperman

Chopperman

I tacked up my shell brackets and added a personal touch to the shell

Attached Files:

5. Chopperman

Chopperman

Well, ummmmmm

I got sick of looking at unfinshed headers so I welded em up tonight and...... ummmm they look pretty good, but I want a tig now.

I also ran into my job stopper for the night. I just don't have the energy to tackle it. Can you spot the pic where I went FAWWWWWKKK ? I need a BEER.

You know they go together soooooooooo easy on TV, what's my problem ?

Attached Files:

6. 39delux

39delux

That sucks. It doesn't look like it will be easy to drill for an extractor with the engine in either.

Tom

7. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Chopperman you have a good helper there. Coupe looks good, sux about the bolt, but you will have it done and burning rubber soon.

8. Chopperman

Chopperman

I might run em minus a stud. LOL.... Let's see smoke adds character so I slight exhaust leak means more character right ?

It's hard to tell in the pic, but I would have to pull the head or engine to fix that stud..... Screw it, I'm running it without a stud.

9. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hey RJ..What would happen if you ground out just enough to get to the stud..U shaped area..I don't think it would hurt the block..I would be more concerned about the flange warping after it's installed, with one stud missing....??????
    Duane...

10. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Chopperman,

I had a stud break in my 1994 Impala and it had almost no room to get too it. I ended up cutting a slot in the broken stud with a small dremel tool and used a screw driver to back it out. It worked well.

Mike

11. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

One missing stud = no big deal :)

Those baffles are close to the ones I used. I put the end cap on mine to quite them up a little bit.

When do you think you will be driving? We have got to do some burnouts!!

12. Chopperman

Chopperman

I got the starter, shifter, cable, and driveshaft done today.

I swear I spend more time chasing little nuts and bolts, gaskets, and parts that actual fabricating.

I made my own shaft... I went to PNP bought a shaft from an S-10 and one from a early dodge van. Took em apart and welded em back up. I've been fabbing my own shafts for a while now and there are a couple things I've learned to keep em close to balanced. If I was racing I would have a shop build it, but this will work for a bar hoper.

I add about 6oz of engine oil into the shaft then weld it up. Not sure if this helps but, it's worked on the last few shafts I've built.

Attached Files:

13. Chopperman

Chopperman

installed shaft. plenty o clearance

Attached Files:

14. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

An old timer mechanic taught me a little trick to remove broken off studs. Use your mig and weld a nut on the end of the stud. Just start building the weld up on the end of the stud untill you can bridge the nut and the weld together. Dont worry, you wont add enough heat the area to weld to the cast iron. You'll probably have to weld on quite a few as they will break off pretty easy, but it'll come out eventually.

15. Chopperman

Chopperman

well it was brought to my attention that I phased the D-shaft wrong... Too many beers I guess. We will see how she works though. If I get the shakes, it's about 150.00 to re-tube it.

I plumbed the upper hose and installed a fan. Looks easy huh, yeah right. 4 trips to kragen and this is all I got done tonight. FAWK.

It's getting tight in there for sure. I'm going to run one of those morroso electric pump kit's as I have some serious clearance and pulley issues with a stock set-up. bahahaha " stock "

Attached Files:

16. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

isnt this build over on pirate? geting outa extreme 4x myself.

17. Chopperman

Chopperman

yup.

I sold the krawler and it is, no wait "was" funding this.

Once I finshed the buggy, I got bored and needed to build something new.

18. kwiksilver

kwiksilver

You can actually blow that stud out with a torch if you are careful. The mild steel will melt before the cast. It will at least get it where you can pick out the chunks. Wrap a wet towel around the surrounding area to protect it. I wouldn't have the balls to do it but maybe you do!

19. Chopperman

Chopperman

Well I got a few things done today. Installed lower radiator hose, made an alt bracket, installed alt, and crank pulley. ( still need to fab adjuster bracket )

I was fearing the lower pulley as I have adapters on adapters to make the water pump work with the stock timing cover. I thought I was going to have to fab something for sure, but I found a pulley that not only bolted up 100% but lined up 100% after about 10 mintues of searching at PNP. 4.00 baby, along with my 2.00 water pump pulley.

I was originally going to mount the alt on the d-shaft but I'm going to be running a fan and elec fuel pump, so I want a full charge all the time. The alt is ugly, but they all are I guess.

Attached Files:

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I cannot wait until the tires are smoking. Looks awesome

21. Chopperman

Chopperman

I opted for some red lines... I picked the inlet fittings at napa ( in stock )

Attached Files:

22. blue57ford

blue57ford

man that looks good

23. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Looks like we'll have matching fuel lines.... I should have my three dueces on this week.

24. Chopperman

Chopperman

Well throw me in the " I paid too much for my steering box " crowd.

I threw down some bling today on steering parts. I got tired of hunting for a box and ended up buying a FR unit along with some other bits and pieces.

Attached Files:

25. OOPS

OOPS

Looking good C-Man!!!!!! PM me your address, I want to see that sucker in person. I helped build a 33 coupe for a friend of mine that looked a lot like that in the 60's. It a a Hemi out of a 54/55 DeSoto in in with six Deuces, Stromberg 97's if I remember right:D

26. kwiksilver

kwiksilver

That will be a good one to see installed. cross steer or traditional?

27. Chopperman

Chopperman

cross steer (FR vega Box )

Mr. Roadster Shaft.

This car has a little of everything ( no kitchen sink, yet... ) Not traditional, not rat, not a billet cruiser, just a siack ass car.

28. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

Very sweet ;)

Id like to see you fab a set of rock sliders or a some nice "bash bumpers" for it!

Your 4runner was sick, .......... but this is SSSSiiiiiiiiCCCCK :D

29. farmer_joe620

farmer_joe620

dude, this car is gonna be flippin bitchin!! not even kiddin!

keep up the good work man!!

30. Chopperman

Chopperman

I see a few of my crawler buddies have creeped over here.... Muahahahahahahahah

Thanks for the compliments guys, this has been a fun build.

I just ordered an ass load of parts from speedway and jegs.. the CC is hurting.