Register now to get rid of these ads!

could-be tech soon***adapting a roadster windshield to a closed car*teaser pics*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Mar 12, 2007.

1. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well I won't have this project done for tech week, but if there is interest I could write up a tech piece on this as I finish.

I've been fighting with trying to make the windshield on my fordor-turned-rpu look, well, not like a sedan windshield. I chopped it, laid it back, and tapered the posts, and it still looked like @ss. So I fired up the sawzall, and put the windshield out of its misery. Then I sat in my pondering chair for a while.

I decided to try to adapt a roadster windshield and stanchions to my fordor cowl. Even though my fordor cowl is a 28/29 fordor, it most resembles the 30/31 style cowl. But I like the 28/29 one piece roadster stanchions, instead of the hinged 30/31 style. I decided to get a pair of 28/29 roadster stanchions.

For the windshield frame, I used my Speedway catalog for reference, since it lists all the measurements of the different roadster frames. I made posterboard copies of the 28/29 roadster frame, the 30/31, and the 32' frames to try.

It seemed the 28/29 frame was too narrow for my cowl, which makes sense since the fordor gas tank is a stock 28/29 style tank stuck up inside & under the fordor cowl.

The 30/31 roadster frame actually seemed too wide to fit the stanchions. But the 32' frame seemed just right, so I ordered one, chopped 2"

After cutting up my cowl to accept the stanchions, I mocked up the 32' frame on the cowl-it fit great! So I chopped the 28/29 stanchions 5", and pie-cut them to make it all line back up. I trimmed the cowl a little more, and clamped it in place. it worked!

It gave it just the look I wanted. I mean it will never look 100% like a roadster, but this to me made it convincing, and not so home made. All I have left is to finish welding mounting tabs to the cowl for the stanchions, and some finish work. If this would be useful info, I can show some pics as I finish it up of what I did to make it work out. It's not really rocket science, just cutting something up & using some imagination

Heres a few pics as it sits though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Yeah! That's coming in the right direction now and looking good! I'm really glad you sawed the posts off...I know you are too.

3. Big Shane

Big Shane
    from Pearl, MS

I'm not a windshield guru, but if I wasnt told different, I would think it came that way. Looks great!

4. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man, I appreciate! It was actually the pics of your pops tub that made me decide to do it. :D

I really loved the way his looked, and decided to try to make it work out. I am really so happy in the difference it made on the cars overall look

5. Looks way better like that!

6. That turned out perfectly,looks like it was meant to be there from the factory.

7. Look's right now, if you didnt tell me it looks stock. Much better than your last post of lay'in the posts back, they still looked too heavy. Good job.

CBB

8. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

thats the shit.:eek:

9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thank you all for the nice words, I appreciate! Though this is an earlier picture, here is a bit of a before pic for comparison. Definitely better now I think
    [​IMG]

10. This is bullshit! I want details now!:D

Looks great, I like it better than the Duval style, those are hard to pull off unless you get them just right. I need to get out my tape measure...

11. chop&drop

chop&drop

The roadster windshield looks like it grew there. Would make a great tech article. There are plenty of former coupes/cabriolets/sedans that could use an upgrade this this.

12. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

That looks so much better!!!!!!

13. Harris

Harris

100% better! this should be made into a tech article!

14. the-rodster

the-rodster

If you gunna do a coupster...

THAT is the way to do it.

Looks MO betta!

Rich

15. OFT

OFT

I agree that it looks nice. We do need the tech for how you did it. Like the cowl cut and fit would be nice.
    Looking good!!!!!

Earl

16. triton6972

triton6972

What a difference it made. Looks great!

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Great improvement... Love the headers on that car.

18. tdoty

tdoty

I'll chime in for a tech request too!

I need to do this on my '29, and having a bit more info on what is involved would certainly help!

Looks better without the windshield posts, and has inspired me to cut mine off!

Tim D.

19. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks a ton for the input, ya'll made my day:p

I'm still really excited about the way this worked out, kept thinking about it all day at work, cuz it's been one of those things that really bugged me, and ended up being a pretty easy fix really.

This sunday I want to get the finish work done on this, and I'll be glad to post up some pics & explanation if it would help. It really isn't going to take much to make this work out, it is way easier then I anticipated.

And the thing I liked best is that the off-the-shelf chopped 32' roadster frame worked perfect imo. I wouldn't make it any different even if I could wave the magic wand. The biggest obstacle is trimming up the cowl to mount the stanchions, and that really isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks again

Dan

20. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I agree about the duval or hallocks, for me they either look great, or wrong, not much of an in between for me. And I had a feeling mine could be wrong if I tried hehe

21. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks Ryan, I really appreciate! I am totally happy I chose to have Sanderson build those. I have tried to fab a huge amount of this car myself, but the headers are one of those "make or break it" things. They are a little different, but I really am happy with the results. Plus they came with funky little baffles too, kind of a corkscrew looking deal. I'm really excited to fire it up man, I wanna hear it run finally!

22. Cshabang

Cshabang

looks a ton better..nice work

23. LUSK

LUSK

Could you please post an up close photo of the just the cowl with the stanchions off see we could see the cut/cuts? About how much money do you have into the stanchions and windshield frame? Luv it!!

24. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Now that is way cool!

25. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks again guys. Here is a link with more detail of how I did the conversion that may help:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171828

For the stanchions I bought new 28/29 roadster repops from Mike's model a parts-they were $145 a pair:
    http://www.mikes-afordable.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=A37138A&Category_Code=1084

The frame is a raw steel 2" chopped 32' roadster frame I got from Speedway, about $300:
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/764...ield-Frames.html?itemNo=windshield%201932

I bought the frame raw cuz I thought I'd have to chop it up to make it fit, but it actually worked perfect just as it was. I will either send this one to be chromed, or sell it & buy a chrome frame.

All said & done it was about a $500 project, but such is life building a car:p
    If you have any specific questions, let me know
    Dan

26. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Dan that thing look's great! You think it will make the Turkey Run this year.GREGG

27. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks a ton Gregg. Man it just HAS to make it, but I'm gonna have to really start busting on it. I really just need to get the body fab work done, and the floor in the cab.

The bed fab work is pretty much done now. Then get the bed & body into paint, and plumb/wire it up.

I've been working SO much, which is nice to save money to get the finishing pieces I need. But, it doesn't leave any time to work on the thing:mad:

I will somehow get it there I hope

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

I think I am going to go this way on my Essex coupster... I love the look of it. Great work!

29. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Looks awesome, that truck kicks ass!

30. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

That looks great! Those headers are awesome....