Register now to get rid of these ads!

my Ford 2.3 with dual Holley 94

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brpowel4, Mar 12, 2007.

1. brpowel4

brpowel4

here is my "power" plant. an 88 mustang 2.3 with 50,000 miles. it looks alot better than it did. My dad and i are having a blast messing with it. i think he's more excited about me building this car than i am. he built cars back in his 20's but got rid of them. anyways, i am planning on sandblasting the intake and shave the carb adapter along the corners to make it look like it is apart of the intake. i want to run a mechanical fan rather than a electric fan to make it look like it came from another era. plus, it is one less thing to wire. hopefully, this engine will end up in a Model A and it will be driven alot.

i am focusing on the ignition now. let me know if you have any advice with this setup (iginition, fuel pump, carb settings, throttle linkage, etc.)

Attached Files:

2. 62fairlane

62fairlane
    from Dayton, TN

I have a older pinto dual advance duraspark distributor. can change the weights and spring out in it for a better curve (this was a new unit a couple years ago and buddy ran it on a motor for a couple hours)

3. scarylarry

scarylarry

What size jets are you going to run in those carbs?

4. tjm73

tjm73

I see I'm not the only guy with this idea....

Is that the Offenhauser 2.3 4 barrel intake? Or is it the bottom half of the OEM intake?

As for ignition...I'd go Mallory Unilight and a Mallory coil. The Unilite can run as a self contained unit with just a coil so it is, and looks, simple.

5. What's dual advance?

Thanks,
    Kurt

6. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

The Duraspark actually is a very good performance distributor. As stated, the advance can be recurved and it can be powered by a '70's GM HEI module hidden discretely for a clean look instead of the Ford box. BTW, I never knew that Offy built a dual carb intake for the 2.3. Looks great!..:)

Jan

7. Thats cool! A lake header and your set. My engine is set up with a fan, just find an older pinto or mustang.
    Looks like the EFI intake with the adapter.

8. brpowel4

brpowel4

scarylarry - i'm not quite sure what jets are in them. i would assume stock. what do you recommend? i do know that the primary has a 7.5 power valve and the secondary has a 3.5 power valve.

tjm73 - that is the OEM EFI lower intake with the injectors plugged. you can see the upper intake in the background of the 3rd picture. i channeled the ports out to make a open plenum area under the carb adapter. Wow, Mallory Unilites are expensive. i had hoped to use the stock distrubtor or get something from a factory carbed early 80's 2.3 (pinto, mustang).

Junkyard Jan - Offy didn't make one. its a Vintage Speed 2x2 adapter for a Holley 4 barrel. i had to drill different hole configuration to mount it to the EFI intake. i'm going to shave the edges of adpater to make it flow better with the intake.

9. That's what I did.

Thanks,
    Kurt

10. tjm73

tjm73

Duraspark is ok I guess,*but I've seen several engine builds of late that have ignition troubles that completely go away with a quality aftermarket distributor/ignition. So I'm not much on any factory ignition. But that's just me.

11. scarylarry

scarylarry

Heres my intake. We are still trying to dial in the jets, thats why I asked. We went to 42's and that was way too small. We're back to 45's and I really have to get the car out and run it a while to get a feel for if it is going to be O.K. Have not had a chance to run it enough to tell if the carbs are loading up or not.

Attached Files:

12. brpowel4

brpowel4

i just emailed the guy who rebuilt them. he said that they are 50 jets so i guess i'll have to get new ones. maybe i'll look into the adjustable ones depending on the price. I want to get the engine running before i put it in the car. let me know how the 42's work. i'm going to buy a progressive linkage but i can set it up straight if it doesn't work.

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That looks cool! I've got one for my '29 A Sedan, plan on the DOHC Volvo head swap, and keep the fuel injection and DIS setup. Also have one for my daughter's 57 Nash project, both of us are using automatic trannys. Her engine will stay mild, I'm gonna step on mine a bit!

14. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

I am looking at those for a MGB-GT project, maybe out of a 87-88 Turbo Coupe...