Register now to get rid of these ads!

March Meet, a Viper's eye view…

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Mar 12, 2007.

1. This was a less than stellar outing for me, this year.
    First thing out, the Olds got hot before the Grapevine. So, I took it back home and drove the trusty, "Driving Appiiance", Ford Focus. So, I didn't get to the track 'til Friday in the late afternoon. We ate chili and drank Bloody Caligulas on Saturday and into the night. Jimmy brought a guitar and he hauled my bass up to Bako and we did our level best to offend anyone within earshot with our catterwalling. Then the trip went totally wrong. My wife called and told me that her little sister had a stroke and was in the hospital, and not doing very well. She said that I should stay in Bako, because I've been looking forward to it for so long. But a good husband provides a shoulder to cry on, so I went to the track Sunday AM and gathered up my stuff and came on home. My wife's sister spoke the first words since the stroke when we walked into the CCU room. That was very encouraging. Of course, prayers and good thoughts are appreciated very much.

But this post is about the March Meet so I'll talk about that. This was the first time the Bowser Family ran the show. The Good Guys aren't involved this year and in fact, they had an event in OC the same weekend. So there were a lot less Street Rod style cars at Bako. Just FINE with me. I would rather have more attention focused on the racing deal. The track is pretty good and there were lots of 5 second runs. The N/FC class is getting huge. Can the commercials that scream "64 Funny Cars!" be far behind? I sure hope so.

But. As usual, the best part of any March Meet is the people. Coby stopped by with his new little pages book, Church. I don't know how something so cool can keep getting better, but Coby pulled it off. In spades! Shawn and Kurt stopped by for a while to say hi. And that was all the HAMBers who could find us, I guess. Kenny Youngblood was hanging with us a little, so those of you who got autographed posters scored pretty well, huh?

I saw, on another thread that some HAMBers said that they were glad to have missed the Meet. ?????? Because???

So, a tip of the Viper's Top hat to the Bowser family and all the good ol', long time track personel for a good weekend.

Chili Phil

2. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Hey Phil, Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law I'll say a prayer. Sorry I couldn't make it to the MM maybe next time. Eddie aka Bumpstick

3. smokindave

smokindave

I saw you there! Hell, you talked to Skip and I for a little while. But I will forgive you for not mentioning that becasue you were tanked already. I dug the support shirt though.

4. Hi Dave. Again. Yup. I was a little buzzicated, huh? And hello to Mr Skip, also.

5. Shag

Shag

Any HAMBr's who skipped the March Meet due to no Good Guys have truley missed the boat on what the HAMB is all about and were never really into racing in the first place! I for one was glad that the amount of poser wanna be car guys who only show up to drink and wrestle with each other in the dirt while missing all the racing action as they are normally seen with their back to the track was down this year. As soon as the rest of the nostalgis fad wears off there should be even less of them clogging up the spectater area!

This March Meet was one of the largest ever with a HUGE racer and spectator turn out. The weather was perfect. From the racers point of view it was the best March Meet I have ever run in. The comunication was steller and the whole track crew couldn't have been nicer or more helpful! There were very few periods of unexplained down time and the Hotrod class got our second Friday run early! Absolutely no complaints from me on this event.

Oh yeah I went 3 rounds in a field of approximately 140 cars! Best March Meet outing ever and a great way to start off this season!!

6. yeah it ruled this year. i dont ever remember seeing the cars run that fast & strong there before, also couldnt believe how many funny cars were running! it was killer.

7. Shag, I won't start shit by saying who used to be the problem at the March Meet. But it sure is great to see how well the usual crew at Famoso can do if people stay out of the way, ain't it? A big chunk of the track crew have been there for years and years. From the geezers at Gate 1 to the safety crew at the top end, a class act from the jump. The nice things said by my long time pals about the Bowser family made me go to the March Meet with an open mind. And ALL the things that annoyed us it have been adressed. They must have raised the gate prices for the flys, because they didn't show up this year. And I know that those Nitro Flys hated to miss it. Either that or my chili drove them off.

But I digress…

8. derelict

derelict

I stopped by the Vipers pit for a little while to shoot the shit (neat bunch of guys). Missed you Phil and missed Cody too. For that matter I missed most everyone because of this bronchitis I've been carrying around for the last three weeks. I gave up the ghost about 11 am Saturday, drove home and went to bed. What a drag (no pun)

9. Spike!

Spike!

Way to go Shag! One of these days the R&K guys will send me out west..

Spike

10. Chili,
    I couldn't agree with you more on your MM views, racing all 3 days was fantastic, weather was great, the Bowers' family pulled it off, now if they'd just BAN those goddamned golf carts, quads, mini bikes, motorcycles, pocket bikes and go peds, life would be good. I even enjoyed watching the Hot Rod classes run, with my beer in my hand, and my pocket, and my other hand, you get the idea

11. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

Phil , I spotted TC down on his knees doing the polish thing to Speed Sport on Sat. but it took till Sun. to find the camp . The odor of hydrazine and nitro gave it's location away ! -- I never saw so many satisfied customers as at this years event not to say it went perfect for all- but it was an improvement for sure . I have no need to flame the GG's as they did their best for quite a number of years and was more concerned that the new group wouldn't have a clue (Wrong !) but it came off just fine . I talked to The Hook , all smiles at the Cacklebunch that showed and just glad to be one of the guys doing what he loves . My only regret was the "Wing" only making one pass but I do understand Mike Boyd's short budget , word is the Bowsers will recruit the Bradford's Fiat for a match race next time . My hats off to young Shawn Boyd and his pal that just graduated "bad ass" training up at Ft. Lewis and are home for a short time until they go over to Iraq to do some whup ass . I am so damn proud to know we are in good hands . Down from my soapbox .

12. sean72

sean72

Chili,

It was a pleasure meeting you, and I'll be praying for your sister-in-law. Also let me know what size t-shirt you wear and I'll hook you up with one from VintageDragClub.com

Now to the March Meet, WOW!!! Great weather and racing! People where actually parking on the side of the road and in the groves! The hot rod class was very cool and you gotta love seeing old school funny cars!!! Tom the Mongoose McEwen was their selling his new Snake Vs. Mongoose DVD. Kenny Youngblood did the poster artwork for the event. Plan now to attend next year, it will be the 50th anniversary of the March Meet.

Sean

Attached Files:

13. First I must apologize to Sean for misspelling his name. And next I want to say thanks for the good thoughts and prayers. Prayer changes things and my sis in law, Cheryl sure can use the prayers.

Oh, and I wear an XL, thank you.

Wow, the next one will be #50!! I think the Vipers need to do something special. Maybe a band. Or two. 50 years deserves to be noted, right?

14. i dont think i've enjoyed a day at the track more in a long time.

we left our car at home and just soaked it all in.

the track was beautiful, the racing was beautiful and the peple were beautiful. i freaking LOVE racers and race fans.

we stopped in at at least 10 pits from NE2 to Nitro funny car and the viper pit and everyone was super stoked on the job the bowsers and famoso staff was doing. not a single gripe.

the lack of street rods and power parkers was welcome but they need to arrange the cars in the grove better so we can get our golf carts thru easier...HA!

if you guys dig nostalgia at famoso, remember the ANRA is putting on three nostalgia sportsman events at the patch..june august and november www.anra.com

and HAMB members get FREE admission and preferred parking.

(end hijack)

15. Shag

Shag

Does that include free racing entry too? :)

We'll be there Free or not!! I like racing with the ANRA guys! ANRA at Famoso is going to be a blast!

16. LongnLow

LongnLow

damn-the wing only made one pass and i got to see it? sweeeeeeeet. awesome meet. nice, and laid back. oh crap. i just said nice.

17. Shag

Shag

Oh yeah, hey Skip the golf carts and stuff are a neccesary evil. We were pitted two rows from the timing slip booth. That means a 1/4 mile to the starting line. If it wasn't for our quad and scooters my family wouldn't be able to make the call and support me in the lanes. My oldest son sets my tires and my ole lady just gives me that big ole smile she has to help me know I have her full support doing what I love. The other two kids just hang on the fence and cheer me on. Usually no one sees me race except my family so having them up there is a neccesity. Racing in front of the March Meet crowd is pretty cool. Makes me sweat though as I have been a little "early" on the tree a few times this year! :) I know the carts and stuff suck in the grove but when you have to get back to your pits to make the call in a hurry they are great! It's hard to race and be a race fan sometimes!!! I'm sure by next year or even before at the Hotrod Reunion and the Nostalgia Finals this fall they will once again be banned from the grove.

18. zombie

zombie

sorry to hear about the family problems phil. i think this was the first year in a while we didnt get to at least drink a beer.

shag, i understand the golf carts for the racers in the pits. the golf carts that have a 2 foot lift and a home stereo mounted to the back though has to go. there are way too many "chuckos" blaring kid rock and cruising the midway. also the kids on the scooters. almost had one them nail the side of pops camaro at the booth.

the weather was perfect, and the racing was great. i hated to see randy winkles rail get ran into the lights though.

19. Thanks for that, Zombie. We'll have to drink more than one beer next time, to make it up, I reckon.

Golf Carts! Shit, take a look around at the next nostalgia race. Young folks are the minority. Us old farts need the carts too. I never have used one YET, but I sure could make the call when the fuelers run. Like Shag said, we also pit way the hell in the back. And we have lots of pals to go and support. But, the carts don't belong on the midway or in the Grove.

PS, issue #9 is the best yet! Congrats on the best book around, Zombie, Shag, Kent and all the crew.

20. chip

chip

well i enjoyed the shit out of it this year!!!
    but i didn't get to see, or talk to folks as mush as i wanted, crewing on the doss clayton & king cacklefest car sure cuts in to your beer drinking time.....chip

21. Shag

Shag

Hey Chip did Heather ever get those wheels polished out without using the whole tube of goo? :)

It was good seeing you guys again albeit too short a visit.