Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drive in is gone-Cool guy sad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

2. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Yeah this sucks!

3. count me in for thoes summer nights....

4. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

They tore ours down to build a Kroger (grocery store). We have lost a dozen within 50 miles over the last 20 years. We still got one left about 30 miles away. Stays packed Friday through Sunday. Still got good food and your kids can play in the grass during intermission. We go every summer a couple times. I hope we will have it for some time to come.
    Rod

5. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

We had 3 or 4 here in the Ventura Co area when I was in high school(early 70's).All became low-rent, junk swap meets--then one by one,tore em down.The "101 Drive in" was in Ventura--was 1 screen--then turned into a 3 screen.The main screen faced the 101 freeway---the funniest thing was, they played "Deep Throath" on it,and you watch it from the freeway!Had a few wrecks that week!

6. junkmonger

junkmonger

Here's the one we go to in Belleville, IL. It's about 3 miles from the house.:D The cool neon is gone, because the tornadoes keep wiping it out, but other than that it's still intact. I remember riding the train when I was a kid (see the history page).

http://www.skyview-drive-in.com/

7. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

They tore the one in my home town down to build a super wal-mart it was a very sad day That place was packed every summer weekend untill the day they closed at least we still have the dirt track to go to

8. chopdtop

chopdtop

Luckily, we still have one going here.
    I just wish they could find something to hold there during the off months to make the place more profitable because it would be a shame to loose it!

9. We have one about 20-25 minutes away (the Rodeo Drive-in). Been going to it since I was a kid. http://www.rodeodrivein.com/

Opened up in 1949 and was just recently upgraded in '04-'05, so I'm hopeful that it survives for years to come. There's nothing like seeing a flick at the drive-in.

On the subject of "other stuff" to hold at these drive-ins to keep them operating... our local drive-in holds swapmeets every Sunday there from Spring to Fall, like an outdoor flea market. It's become pretty well known for years and generates lots of extra income for the theater.

The biggest word of advice to those that still have your drive-in theaters and want to keep them around... GET INVOLVED. Make an effort to use them regularly, talk them up, spread the word in your area... get other folks interested. Hell, call up the place and suggest some ideas to them.

The Rodeo Drive-in here is family owned and operated, so organizing small events is pretty simple... might be different in your area. But, if you're in a local club that has regular meets, BBQ's, car shows, etc... get a hold of your local drive-in and talk to them about renting out some space there for your event and put some money back into the place. Chances are, they're not going to charge a large fee.

Hell, I'd rather pay a small fee to hold a meet/gathering/BBQ at a place that matters than have it in some parking lot for free.

10. Rodman58 where's the one at that's still open in VA? Just wonderin if its too far away from me to travel. The only one in my area was shut down years ago.

12. Yep, that's the part that worries me. I'm just hoping that the growth doesn't make it out that way for a LONG time. You've been there, you know what I'm talking about... it's pretty far away from any kind of development at the moment (except the industrial park and small private airport).

And you ain't kidding about the boneyards around here crushing some good stuff. Took a buddy of mine out to one out that way a few weeks ago. Was bragging all week to him about all the cool stuff out there. Headed out there the following weekend, toolbags in hand... half the place was nothing but dirt. The guy said... "Yeah, we just had to crush all the old stuff to make our "numbers" last year". I almost got sick.

13. Yeah, the two just down by the drive in were half empty. The only one that still had a lot of old cars was the one out by Belfair. Got a emblem for my 60 Comet out there and shipped it back. Prices seemed to have gone up alot though. At least you guys can still cruise the yards there. All of the yards by me, now crush everything over 15 years old and everthing is computerized. They won't even let you near the yard for "insurance reasons". Now they seem to sell most of their parts online.

14. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

We have a few defunct ones in the area.... Tusca drive in has been empty for over twenty years... I remember seeing ET there. We have Kain Road that it still open and popular, but I have never been there. There is the Twin Highway in Crafton that hosts car cruises sometimes but it's not open.. and the Midway which is somewhere in Ohio.

Did any of the Ohio HAMBERS know of this?

http://www.quakercityraceway.com/

I have a lot of high school memories of this place. I always wanted to run a car there and never did. I was getting my hair cut and my barber was unhappy. I asked why and he told me they had sold out to developers.

15. plan9

plan9

in the not so distant future i believe movie theatres will be a dying breed as well.

there is an old theatre in my hometown called Seaview, i dont know how long its been there... probably 50 yrs or more, i remember seeing numerous movies there during the 80's like Colors, Star Trek 3, & Platoon. now its an abandoned hulk, probably waiting to be bulldozed for apartments... i have been somewhat looking into its availability but again, its beach front property, big $$$$ here in the Bay Area... so who knows.

16. roadduster54

roadduster54

We have a drive in hear at Lubbock. It’s pretty new and its only 5bucks for a two shows. It’s open all year for all I know. And its been so busy that they are now building a third screen. They have had a car show there before and our club is thinking about doing one there in the coming years. It’s a great place and I’m glad to see its doing so well.

driveinusa.com

17. Clutch 2

Clutch 2
    from Maryland

We only have one original drive-in left. "The Bengies". Maryland had about 48 drive-ins in their heyday. It's sad that they tear them down to make way for houses, malls,ect. I still go to The Bengies every chance i get,because last i heard, that one is in danger of being closed.

18. sololobo

sololobo

Super Sad, this was a very cool place!! But a chance to plug one of the most fun shows I have ever attended-The Greaserama- It is on labor day weekend at the cooolest drive in theater left standing. Go to www.greaserama.com for some pics of the scene. Same weekend as Goodguys K.C. so you could do 2- events if you like. The Sunday is for the G.arama, It just plain ROCKED!! Tod from American Greasers Supoply and his cutie wife put together a true monster event -B-there-or B-square, -See ya there-Sololobo--Well I see in the time it took my fumble fingers to do my post, some one else touted the Greaserama- believe us- MONSTER-that neon jet sign on the Skywiew drive in is awesome!

19. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

We still have the Holiday Twin in Fort Collins. We make it their 2 or 3 times a summer. Really nice. Well worth the trip!